Converting to a 12v system

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by mgoodman, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mgoodman

mgoodman Farmall Cub

First.. Here is my 47' Super M
    [​IMG]

Its still all original 6V and I know NOTHING of these.
    I use it on my small acrage mainly to drag snow on my driveway, but there is another one down the street w/ the front blade and a small bucket.. trying to talk him into selling me just those pieces, plus I found the 3 point auger as well.

Thanks in advance
    M

2. Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL Farmall Cub

Might as well switch Your M over to a 12V negative ground Alternator. There's a discussion on RPM about that right now. Leave the 6V starter in place but change the coil, lights, remove the voltage regulator and Your electrical syatem will become trouble-free.

My '51 M and '54 Super H always had trouble starting, dead batteries, etc. but the switch to 12V alternators fixed all that. 6V battery technology has NOT kept pace with 12V technology. And the Delco 10SI alternator fits under the hoods of both M's & H's with just a modified top & bottom bracket, no cutting holes in the hood like most people that haven't done the conversion say.

3. Brad Anderson

Brad Anderson Farmall Cub

Converting to a 12 volt system is certainly a "modern" alternative and a viable option.

If the problem however, is just that the 6 volt system turns the motor over to slowly, another viable option is to replace the battery with an 8 volt. (Same size case, but costs about $10-15 more than a standard 6 volt) It'll spin the motor much faster though, which makes for easier starting.

I run these in all my "modern" tractors with electric start. I have made no modifications to the electrical system. Works well for me. (The key to any electrical system is to have good contacts and ground, whither it be 6,8, or 12 volt)

Draw backs is, it takes a special charger to get the full 8 volts when recharging the battery. (a battery Tender/Maintainer is ideal for this application.

Brad

4. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

6Volt systems work well if all the electrical connections are clean and snug. Disconnect and clean all your battery cable connections and all your ground straps. Run a tap in the bolt hole and clean the bolt on a wire wheel. Put them back together with star washers and coat them liberally with dielectic grease - a small tube from the auto parts store will cover it. Good for many years.

6Volt cables need to be larger than modern 12 volt cables. Somtimes previous owners have used 12V cable which won't carry the amperage load well at all. If your tractor cables are the size of your wife's late model car, you need new cables to continue using a 6 volt system.

Good, modern 6 volt batteries are available from Interstate and others. If a big golf cart type 6 volt battery will fit, they have a long life in your occasional use application but they are not cheap.

Find 6 volt chargers at swap meets for a dollar or two - nobody uses them except us old truck and tractor nuts.