Converting to 2 barrel, why not a Holley 2300?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by matt1505, Jun 28, 2017.

1. matt1505

matt1505 Farmall Cub

Ive been researching doing a 2 barrel swap when I get my 800 back on the road someday(hopefully soon). It has a 196 and from all the searching ive done it seems everyone does the Weber or Holley knock off the Weber. Why not a Holley 2300?

2. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

Well, one main difference between the Holleys and the Weber 32/36 DGV is that the Weber is a progressive carb. Only uses one barrel most of the time. Then past a certain throttle opening on the primary side the secondary (and larger) throttle begins opening. This might be a more efficient setup for a small engine. That versus trying to get two carb venturis to flow efficiently at low opening/air-flow.

I'll admit, I have never used a Weber 32/36 carb on an IH. But I swapped one onto a Subaru 1600cc 4-cylinder engine many years ago, and it really transformed that engine into a little beast.

3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Way too much carb for a 4-pooper, even if you could get it to fit well, which is a serious pipe dream.

4. Patrick Morris

Oh yes, good point. That's one other difference I skipped over. The 2300 is kinda big, too high flowing for a 4-cyl. I do have a vague recollection that the 2300 was in Dodge's aftermarket catalog for their 2.2L engines back in the early 1980s, but that was a pure race application. Not something you'd want for a normal street engine of that size.

OTOH, the Webers and Holley 5200s (Weber clone) work great on 4- and 6-cyl engines.

5. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

The biggest trouble I see is that with any1-bbl, you use an adapter that necks down ("funnels") to fit a 1-bbl hole. What's the point?

I have no experience with this on a 152 or 196, but I do with another old school, low-revving 4-cyl. engine that relates to this. Extensive experience that involved a lot of objective tests. Had a chance to measure power increases from about three different arrangements, a bigger 1-bbl, a 2-bbl with the "funnel" adapter and a new manifold designed to carry a 2-bbl. The funnel arrangement didn't do any better than the larger 1-bbl (which had about 20% more flow than the stock 1-bbl). Big gains on the manifold set up for a 2-bbl, which was almost identical to the stock manifold but with the 2-bbl flange.

As to a 2-bbl progressive vs a simultaneous opening carb... not much difference in peak power but differences in how they got there. The progressive delivered better fuel economy and had better low end response (as in off-roading). The simultaneous opening carb was a little "soggy" at the bottom end of the rpm rangebut had a GREAT midrange. Of course throttle bore sizing and proper jetting is all-important. All the carbs tested were the generic Webers 28/32 and 32/32.

6. Oee

Oee Farmall Cub

I've used the 32/36 Weber on quite a few smaller engines with great results. As others have stated they just plain work. They're readily available, easy to work on (jet changes etc) and dang near bullet proof. I've done the swap on the 152 and it is well worth the time and effort in my opinion. I did the 2300 swap once on a 151 cubic inch Cheby iron duke engine which arguably had much better flow characteristics head wise. The 2300 was too much carb. It was boggy and fuel economy was marginal. For me if I'm doing a carb swap on any 4 cylinder the progressive Weber is the carb of choice. Best of luck!!

7. 64desertscout

64desertscout Farmall Cub

I have a 32/36 on my 196 in my 63, it was a VAST improvement in drive ability vs the 1920 1-bbl that was on it. Sure a larger 1-bbl might have done the same thing, but being able tune the Weber (HUGE aftermarket support) vs being stuck with whatever tuning some bigger 1-bbl came with was the clincher. I have 4.27's with 33 x 10.50 tires and I average 16-18 mpg and cruise at 60-65 mph on the highway and have no problem staying with traffic in most situations.

Scoutcamper likes this.
  8. matt1505

matt1505 Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I'll be ordering up a Weber one of these days.

9. 64desertscout

64desertscout Farmall Cub

If your handy I have one that needs to be rejetted and rebuilt off of a VW bug....$50.00 + shipping

10. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but what do you run as an adapter to neck down from 2bbl to 1bbl? Any linkage adapters / modifications needed? I'm running manual choke and have a dash throttle control as well.

I'm doing my research on the 32/36 swap onto a 196.

-Josh

11. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Another way to describe it is, its like half a four barrel. Whereas a 4bbl has two primaries and two secondaries, a holley 2300 has only two primaries, while the Webber has one primary and one secondary.

Chris Cooper likes this.
  12. Patrick Morris

Good points. Nice explanation.

And I neglected to mention that the Weber 38/38 carb, which is also very popular for conversions, is similar to the 2300 in that both its barrels operate equally. It is another good option for the AMC 6 engine, if you have a manifold with the intake ports aligned with the cylinders (as opposed to 90° normal to them).

13. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

It certainly makes sense to put a carburetor that is essentially half a four barrel like the Weber progressive on an engine that is essentially half of a V8.

14. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Just installed a newly rebuilt 2300 , manual choke on brothers T'Lette 392, runs flawlessly. PERFECT. Hard to beat them.

15. Patrick Morris

Oh right. I guess I started to think this is the thread about the guy wanting to upgrade his 232's carb. Hah.

FWIW progressive carbs were the norm on 4-bangers in the 70s and 80s. I even swapped a 32/36 Weber onto my little 1600cc Subaru engine back then, replacing a very boring smaller Hitachi carb. Man that Weber really woke the little engine up!

Sold the Subaru when I bought my Scout. But I still have that carb. I should probably put it up for sale. It's just been sitting in a box in the garage for the last 30 years.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  16. jeff campbell

Yeah I know but ? !

17. Patrick Morris

Meaning...?

18. jeff campbell

2300 is a really good carb !

19. Patrick Morris

Oh right. Agreed. Do you know of anyone using one on an IH 4-banger?

20. jeff campbell

NO sir I don't. Too much !