Comanche paint code

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by rlireland, Aug 17, 2005.

1. laity

laity Farmall Cub

Trying to get this right on my Comanche as well. Might just have to do the matching from the glove box door but really wanted to use the original codes. Looking at my LST isn't helping, unfortunately. I see "SGL Spec color PT 107710001" and in another line "Paint Chart 10097" but none of those numbers seems to refer to paint colors. @scout2000 noted paint code 4398, which comes up as gold Rush when I can find it on paint charts. My best guess is that right, since prairie gold doesn't seem to be an IH color in 1971, plus 4398 "gold Rush" looks more like a match in my eyes. Regarding the white, can anyone confirm its Alpine white (9120)? Pretty sure that was the only white in 71, but with IH you never know.

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I see I'm being quoted here. The data I quoted, wasn't a first hand thing. I found that data in Jim Allen's (forum name BinderBookie) Scout Encyclopedia. I can only wish I had a Comanche in my vehicle fleet right now.

If you believe that the data provided is inaccurate, I would request you please let Jim know, so it can be updated for the next printing/next update.

3. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

The paint on the Comanche was a special color, not a standard 1971 color. "Gold Rush" and "Prairie Gold" appear to be marketing names for the same 4398 color. Prairie Gold Shows up early on and Gold Rush later. FYI: some have reported the resulting color from that code is not a good match. 4398 is listed in the MT-90 master IH paint book as a Custom color. They do provide a Dupont paint code for it, but over the past few years when I have given those codes out, except for a couple of exceptions, a paint store was unable to make heads or tails of it. FYI: the Dupont code for 4398 is 07640. If it works, let us know. Most people have had success getting the old paint matched with those whiz bang machines they have. If you are concerned about a correct color match, order the smallest amount of the 4398 match and paint a part of the Scout to see how it matches against an original part. Ultimately, you are the only person that must be satisfied.

Ask a paint guy how all the paint formulations have changed... emissions and safety regulations have forced paint formulations to be changed and not all the old codes have been changed over.

4. laity

laity Farmall Cub

Thanks very much @BinderBookie - my paint guy came to a similar conclusion and took the glove box in to have it matched. I will be happy if the top/hood match the glove box and dash insert perfectly. I'm glad we didn't go the route of just ordering up enough Gold Rush or Prairie Gold, given your feedback.