Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by mongocanfly, Jan 7, 2018.

1. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

What brand of bleeder are you using? I got one of those HF ones and couldn't get it to work like I wanted to, so I resorted to Mrs JJ and I bleeding the ones on my '76 Scout. Ive also heard of guys parking their trucks uphill and cracking the bleeders open and let them sit for an afternoon and gravity do the bleeding, (after lunch of course) but don't know if that method is to be trusted.

JJ in TN

2. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Working alone most of the time, gravity and patience seems to work in a 'no other choice' situation. Have done it a few time now with no ill effects. Of coarse I've also used one of those adjustable snow brush's between the seat and pedal and slowly bled the brakes by letting just a little air out at a time too. It's takes a lot more effort than needed but it's better than not getting it done at all...LOL

3. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    If one's fresh out of offspring or other halves willing to participate, surely one can coax a friend or neighbor into helping? Unless of course you do as I do and piss all them off so it becomes a one-person job anyways! I've tried the gravity method before without success; probably too inpatient. I also purchased a Mighty Vac or something like that years ago and never got it to work properly. So brake bleeding usually ends up being Kate at the pedal and me underneath trying not to get fluid in my face!. I even recall an event not too long ago when Kate was pumping away (no comments plz) and I never saw any fluid movement. Turns out she was pumping the clutch pedal and not the brake. Miscommunication once again!

4. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

Yeah-- my Mighty Vac took a flight over to the vacant lot across the street after it wouldn't work to bleed the clutch on my motorcycle. It did work quite well at marinating the the side of the bike with fluid, however.

5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

800bman and Chris Cooper like this.
  6. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Actually we have one PIA but he's getting old and not so much a problem now. We're one of three close neighbors that grew up here and stayed.With the exceptions of our other halfs, I guess we've all known each other about 50 years now. None of us have ever had a problem . Wave and say Hi, help as needed but unless it's something really important, we keep to ourselves. Probably the reason why we've never had any issues after all this time..LOL.

With the gravity bleed thing I usually put fluid in the master once the line is started into the caliper or wheel cylinder a few threads and then do something else. Once the fluid starts dripping out the line at the connection , snug it up and loosen the bleeder a lot . Watching it can be like watching paint dry so if it's worked in while you do something else, it's not so bad.

7. J.J.

HAHAHA you asked and I won't. But, its still funny!

JJ in TN

8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

("Turns out she was pumping the clutch pedal and not the brake")
    That's funny...hahaha...
    The pressure bleeder comes with this catch can...the black end on the tubing fits on the bleeder screw..
    So when I gravity bled, I just hooked that up ,opened the bleeder and filled the master..just kept topping off the master when it got low..once I had fluid in the bottle I would close the bleeder and move to another wheel...
    Also on the proportioning valve ,it has the trip spool..to hold the spool centered while bleeding you need the special little tool...I have one and it's in place
    And this is where its used in the last pic
    20200921_082139.jpg s-l640.jpg 20200921_083220.jpg

800bman and J.J. like this.
  9. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Another thing I been waiting on is some extra interior lighting...after I got the orig dome light working, even with the led bulb, it had less than useful results..would barely light up the cab..guess I'm to used to my GMC with all its lights..so I ordered a set of 4 led lights ..they were advertised as interior or tag lights..I was hoping I could get by with just using 2 of them, but after a light test, I'll need all 4..I'll mount 1 on each kick panel, and the other 2 on each side of the glove box...all aimed towards the firewall..
    They'll be wired in to the dome light and the eventual door switches

20200924_221741.jpg

J.J. and Chris Cooper like this.
  10. J.J.

Im not much for lighting up the cab cause I don't want to see how scary I really look in the review mirror, BUT I do appreciate LED lighting in my gauges, that has made a really big difference in my world.

JJ in TN

stroker3 and TheCrazyFarmer like this.
  11. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer High Wheeler

:taz: :laugh:

12. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Haha JJ ,
    it's mostly just to light up the floorboard area...the dome light would leave it fairly dark down there..these LEDs arnt real bright..that's the reason I'll have to use all 4..they give it a dim glow..

J.J. likes this.
  13. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

That sounds like me! I give the world of old truck resto & rehab a dim glow...

oneof3k likes this.
  14. J.J.

in the words of Joe Diffie (RIP) "a cargo light gives off a romantic glow"..

JJ in TN

oneof3k likes this.
  15. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

haha...don't tell Josh...!!! but according to Ed ,he don't need the help of a cargolight anyway

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    J.J. and oneof3k like this.
  16. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Greg, I just can't ever seem to keep up with you or the Jones' .... to wit, you purchased LEDs and I'm just plain old school.

IMG_5040.jpg

(This little guy came to me with the Scout 30 years ago and I'm keeping it. Even though it only puts out maybe 1/10 of a lumen. Whatever that means).

800bman and Randall Barringer like this.
  17. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

My old Chevy truck had one of those lights in it Ed...you had to hold a lit match up to it to see if it was on...haha

Randall Barringer likes this.
  18. J.J.

HAHAHA, my '47 Willys has the almost same one, single bulb for the entire gauge cluster. And one single red high beam indicator. Not sure if the match idea works well here as the fuel tank is under the drivers seat

[​IMG]

JJ in TN

19. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

("Not sure if the match idea works well here as the fuel tank is under the drivers seat")
    Would be a good way to quit smoking..haha

oneof3k likes this.
  20. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

After many (as in a lot) delays I finally got the doors painted...I got tired of waiting on our friendly neighborhood undercover painter to show up...Haha
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say this is just the 1st time I'll be painting these based on my past painting experiences..
    20200930_232210.jpg 20200930_232201.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Chris Cooper, J.J. and stroker3 like this.