Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by mongocanfly, Jan 7, 2018.

1. jmeister

jmeister Farmall Cub

2. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

Thanks, man-- I can't really be trusted with one, though.

3. wfdstation42

wfdstation42 Farmall Cub

Just spit balling here but I remember as a kid using patch kits to fix rubber bike tire tubes. Stuff worked great and outlasted the tube. It's my understanding the glue in these kits has a special additive that de-vulcanizes the rubber so it sticks better. Just a thought.

4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

wfd...I had thought of that before...then forgot it...thanks for the reminder
    ive got the 3M5200 black ordered...gonna try it....

5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I took a week or so off to get caught up on non-truck stuff that i been letting pile up on me.
    Got most of it done and now I forgot where I was..
    One thing that bothered me was on my hydroboost lines was the ol ribbed plastic loom crap..
    For some reason to me the stuff looks outta place on old trucks...I was just gonna leave it off and not use anything on the hoses..but while i was working on my tractor it dawned on me the hydraulic hoses have a sheath over them..so some quick measuring and a Ebay search and I had a piece to go over all 3 hose
    I like it much better than the plastic crap..
    20200913_135100.jpg

6BTravelall likes this.
  6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Also after several delays in shipping (thanks corona)..the relays finally showed up..
    These are for the homade rear blinker setup we discussed earlier..
    Still waiting on the floormat glue..(thanks again corona)...shipping delayed on it as well
    20200913_134908.jpg

7. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Also I didn't get the brake bleeding done yet..I wasnt real thrilled with the bleeder lid that's for the reservoir
    It's very flimsy and very difficult to get it to seal off without leaking...
    So
    I made me one from 1/4" aluminum plate..a c-clamp to hold it down..and I'm in business...I'll l have to wait a day or so to try out but I think itll work..
    Our temps have been dropping along with humidity so hopefully I can get the painting finished soon...
    But we got a hurricane headed some what for us, so I may wait it out...
    20200913_141447.jpg 20200913_141642.jpg

8. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I really like that sheath material, it does look much better than the plastic loom.
    Stay safe with the storm.

9. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

thanks Randall...looks like Sally is gonna go up the GA/AL line..itll be east of me, but theyre giving high winds and heavy rain here..
    everbody stay safe

6BTravelall likes this.
  10. 6BTravelall

6BTravelall Farmall Cub

Man I miss exciting weather, AZ has got to be one of (if not thee) most boring states when it comes to weather.. stay safe!

11. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Thanks 6bt....always something here...if you dont like it today..itll be something else tomorrow

Chris Cooper likes this.
  12. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

The sheath def looks better than the plastic! Great idea! After seeing what I have seen the last few days of a storms true fury nothing but respect! Stay safe my friend!!!!

JJ in TN

6BTravelall likes this.
  13. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

Greg,

I was thinking about your rear blinker, and 2 relays threw me off. I'm new and all but I do believe you can make the system less cluttered and work w/ one relay. I could be wrong and you're way may be the easy and proper way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

thanks JJ...I wish on the sheath I could have gotten it a little tighter,but I couldn't get it over the hose ends...its not as loose as it looks in the pic though

JDM...thanks...1st off,im far from being a electrician..so I'm little slow at understanding ...
    but I think in your 1st pic it would need another set of bulbs..?
    the 2nd pic I'm not sure I understand how it works...but it looks like it has its own blinker bulb as well
    the issue I have is there's no way on the truck to drop out a R or L brake light and make it blink..
    I could just add another set of lights to the rear as a designated blinkers , and it would be fine...and it appears that's how IH set these up based on the wiring drawings i have..
    but id rather not have more bulbs...
    the relays I have should work...they are only about 1" square,so theyre not to big

JDMJNKY likes this.
  15. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Looks like just heavy rain at this point, least that is what is being called for here, 1-2 inches. We had a lot on Sunday, the little creek out here behind the shop was a raging river.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    JJ in TN

16. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Yep..they warning us about heavy rain and high winds..only light rain here so far..
    Looks like Mobile is getting hammered ....yall stay safe down there..

17. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

So my floormat glue finally showed up...so I was gonna do a test piece, and thought I'd give reading the directions a shot...well it says that once you punch the end of the tube, the tube has a 24hr shelf life..
    Well that sucks...I'm not quite ready to be gluing floormat, so I guess itll have to wait...

Was gonna get started on bleeding the brakes..poured some fluid in the reservoir and about a minute later I had fluid dripping on the ground...what the heck...even though I thought I had all the fittings tight, i didnt..
    Had a loose fitting on the splitter T for the front...it was snug, just not tight..got that fixed...turned around and I see another drip..this one is a doozy..I had previously reinforced the front frame rails and boxed them in..not realizing I had a union behind the plate...yep its loose..and no way to get to it...so it's off to town for another piece of tubing and some unions...I'll reflare the tubing and move the unions out to where I can get at em..just more delays...
    20200915_161644.jpg

18. JDMJNKY

JDMJNKY Farmall Cub

No worries, was just hoping to help simplify some wiring. I'll just enjoy the ride until I understand scouts a bit more.

19. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Thanks JDM....I need simple...in a big way..

Chris Cooper and JDMJNKY like this.
  20. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

After numerous delays, I finally got around to the bleeding....brakes that is..
    The 1 man brake bleeder works pretty decent...id give it a B+...a few things I figured out by trial and error is fill the bladder full before you start..I didnt and about half way thru I had to start over...the other thing is the catch can that hooks on the bleeder screw isn't vented..found that out after I blew the lid off..so I just left the lid off..
    A buddy at the dealership said this unit is similar to what they use but on a smaller scale...
    I started with a completely dry system..didt bench bleed the master cylinder either.
    I did gravity bleed the whole system before I started just so I'd have some fluid in there before I pressured it up..that's how I found the leaks I had..theve all stopped now..
    I've got full engagement at half pedal..so I'll have to wait and see what it's like once the hydroboost is in play..