Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by mongocanfly, Jan 7, 2018.

1. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Those are probably the most important parts because you see them the most. Reminds me of something that I read one time about a guy who was restoring a WWII jeep. He didn't want to lost momentum so he did the glovebox lid first and put in on his desk at work where he could see it to keep him motivated.

JJ in TN

2. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

It's like the BP version of "Overhaulin"'.

I love it.

3. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

JJ..motivation is hard to get going with the work schedule ive got...just need to keep pushing

4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Chris...its alot different than overhaulin....they can build one in less than a week..!!! and do it right in 1 try...haha
    i do wish i had Foose for a week though...one of the best

5. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

Greg, there are a very few celebs I think it might interesting be to hang out & have a beer with, and Foose is one of them: down-to-earth, personable, supremely talented.

Don't sell yourself short, Greg-- they likely edit out the inevitable f*ckups.

6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

yeah Chris...im sure theres a lot of behind the scene stuff that doesn't make it to the show...I know they have to cram it all into a 1hr timeslot...and with commercials it winds up being 35-40 min of actual work

Chris Cooper likes this.
  7. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Well for the last few days I've been sitting the dash panels out in the sun to help them cure good...
    I had a few minutes today ,so I got them I installed along with the steering column ...and I didnt drop any of it this time..
    20200620_153522.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    scout2000, J.J. and stroker3 like this.
  8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

And I'm almost glad I only have a few minutes here and there during the day..
    sure wished that cool button worked
    Today's shop temperature..

20200620_153403.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    MrKenmore and 800bman like this.
  9. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Hot Damn! Must have gotten five whole hours of sleep last night? That dash sure looks nice :banana::banana::banana:.

And I see your steering wheel dilemma. Better get on that one soon :taz:.

10. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

yeah Ed...your close..but I worked last 2 nights ,and got about 4-1/2hrs sleep today...3 more night shifts to go..
    and yep..my steering wheel has many a crack in it,,I tried pulling it the other day and it wouldn't budge...so I soaked it with wd40, but I havnt tried it again yet

11. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer High Wheeler

Are you gonna strip off the hard rubber and cast a new one?

The dash looks great by the way! I like that you kept it red on the top. You are gonna leave it red right?

12. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

funny you say that Johnny...but there is a way to strip the wheel to the frame and redo it,,,but that's not the way I'm going..im just gonna grind out and bevel the cracks and fill them in ..reshape,prime and paint..ive got another wheel I may mess with some later on...
    the dash will be the way it is now..red/gray

13. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

well I been trying to get most of the in-cab stuff installed before I start pulling wires...(uhhgg I dread that)..
    so today I put the 2 halves of my heater box together and the plan was to get it installed...when I got to looking I realized I needed to go ahead and hook up the cowl vent control cables..once the heater is in, theres no way to get to the one on the pass side..so I got the cables in and went to my box of gal ziplock bagged parts to get the little clamps that hold the cables in place..found them...and when I did there was a gal bag with big sharpie writing on it that said ( glove box latch and parts)..big as day...yep the latch that I have been looking for ,for the last 3weeks was right there in front of me...been thru that box 4or5 times and coudnt find them...( I think Ed hid it from me...that's my story and I'm sticking to it..haha)
    so I got all exicted about finding it and not wanting to misplace that latch again, I installed it before I could lose it....again
    the glove box doors on these trucks fit like crap..and always have..so I'm gonna make some shims and try to get it to line up better..i can push up on the bottom of the door and it lines up near perfect , so maybe some shims will work
    the heater will have to wait another day...sounds funny installing a heater in this kind of weather..
    gbt.png gbf.png htr.png

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    scout2000 likes this.
  14. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    I don't think we are related, but I went through my stash (of ziplock bags) at least as many times today looking for the five bolts that marry the transmission to the transfer case. Guess where I found that bag? Yep, in the box labeled "trans/TC" and below a clutch disc. I have CRS.... what is your excuse Greg?

Your father may not care or notice the glove box fitment, but you should indeed give it some more attention. You've come too far on this build :punk:.

scout2000 likes this.
  15. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I have lost so many bags of bolts,I now either just screw them into there holes,or duct tape them to the part(unless fresh painted).When I finished my scout I had 4 bags of bolts left that I couldn't find when I needed.

16. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Ed , I can think up all kinds of excuses and reasons for my condition..!!!!...
    oh, and that steering column bushing I was looking for the other day when I had to make that new piece...miraculously appeared...it was laying right out in the wide open.. I had to have looked right at it a dozen times...

and I know what you mean Jeff...I am a very disorderly person when it comes to projects...i'll have stuff strowed around all over the place...on this truck I said it wasn't gonna happen...well I passed that stage a long time ago.. everything boxed and tagged and I still cant find anything..haha

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  17. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

LOL..Sounds all too familiar...This is where Mr. Kenmore is way ahead of most of us. The speed of the t'all makeover... Mrs. Kenmore. Much like baldness, blindness is a male thing. If it isn't breasts or beer, we just don't see it.

J.J. likes this.
  18. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

If I had not use ziplock bags and labeled them individually for each component on my '76 build, I would STILL be trying to figure it all out. One day you wake up and youre not 50 anymore..

JJ in TN

stroker3 likes this.
  19. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Hahahahahaha!!!

stroker3 likes this.
  20. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Ray that's it..!!!!...exactly..!!!...MPB...

stroker3 likes this.