CO poisoning

Discussion in 'SSII' started by Jeff Joyce, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Jeff Joyce

Jeff Joyce Binder Driver

I've got fiberglass inserts and a Kayline top/doors. Since I've owned the scout, there's been a gap in the area up front where the insert meets the window frame. There's also been a huge gap between the tailgate and the lower lip of the rear window (snap style). Not sure if this was a PO installation issue or not, but it's not good.

At speed, the door gap draws a lot of air. Air coming around the side of the windshield creates a big vacuum just outside the door. This, plus rear window gap leads to major exhaust infiltration. I rarely have the top on, but it's nice to be able to take a trip in the winter and stay warm AND alive while doing so.

Anyway, this weekend I decided to do something about it. I fabbed some simple metal plates (16 gauge) mounted between the aluminum angle and door insert to cover the gap and improve the snap mounts. I also added some weatherstripping here and on the top lip of the tailgate to seal off the air. Turned out great.

Attached Files:

2. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Good idea! I don't drive mine in the winter, but in the Fall or rainy weather that gap is annoying.

3. jnoahr

jnoahr Farmall Cub

I have been looking for a way to solve this exact problem. Thanks so much for the idea, it looks awesome. This will be my weekend project.

4. kb'sforme

kb'sforme High Wheeler

Why not fix the exhaust? If your exhaust system is in good order there should be no problems.
    Sealing up drafts is great. But will not fix the problem.

5. jnoahr

jnoahr Farmall Cub

The problem is wind and rain. Not exhaust.