CMP IHC Garands- Round 2

Discussion in 'Irma's Place' started by Bill USN-1, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looks good. Is it an IHC stock?

2. IHC-fan

IHC-fan Farmall Cub

No, I'd forgot about that and had to look it up again. I think it is a SA or HR. It almost looks like the stock was sanded at some point during a rebuild as the side stamp is faint. There is a plain circle P on the grip and the lower front corner outline of the 3/8"x3/8" stamp on the side. No other markings (including barrel channel) so the stock doesn't look like it's an IHC. One of these days when I'm bored and have extra $ I'll have to track down the IHC parts.

3. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Spotted some NOS sights on ebay for IH Garand rifles , currently bidding at $12
    ih garand sight.JPG

4. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

Nice feature article about IHC garlands in the current American Rifleman magazine.

5. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

Hornady Manufacturing, ammo, reloading components and equipment. Sells 30.06 Match Ammo, designed for NRA High Power Military Rifle competitions, specific to and for the M-1 Garrand Rifle.

6. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

Bent op rods can result from firing heavy commercial loads in your garand. Commercial loads greater than 175 grain bullets should be avoided.

7. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

8. Royce Stephens

Royce Stephens Farmall Cub

I was in the Army from 1991 to 1996, the last three years as a game warden at White Sands Missile Range. We needed something bigger than our .223's for game warden duty so our Provost Marshall dug up five M1's from an armory at Ft. Bliss. I was issued a SA M1 to carry for my duty weapon in 1993! I didn't appreciate the gun for what it was at the time. I threw it behind the seat of my patrol truck and utilized it almost daily. Never gave me a hint of trouble.
    Fast forward several years and I have become a Binderphile with a real appreciation for our country's history. I told my wife several times that if I could ever find an "all IH" Garand I would have to add it to my gun collection. Christmas morning she surprised me with one. Apparently she contacted the CMP and talked to a salesman. She gave him some background on me and he seemed to take an interest in finding me the right gun. It is better than I could have ever hoped for. I have stripped it down and every single identifiable part is original IHC with no rework stamping anywhere. It is an IH produced postage stamp ( as opposed to just an IH stamped reciever) with a really nice dark walnut IH stock. Shoots consistent 1 inch or less groups at 100 yards and functions perfectly. I'm sure she paid more than my IH thrift would have wanted but I don't mind eating sausage when I don't see it made.
    GREAT CHRISTMAS!

scout2000 likes this.
  9. Bill USN-1

We need pics Royce!

10. Royce Stephens

Royce Stephens Farmall Cub

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one I had in the Army had a birch replacement stock and was much lighter colored. I like the darker original walnut. The LMR barrel is dated January of 1954. I just ordered a web sling for it dated December of 1953.

Bill do you have any input on clips? I found a good deal on some AEC 3 clips which is what CMP shipped with the gun.

11. BennettMoe

BennettMoe Farmall Cub

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  12. Bill USN-1

CoopVA likes this.
  13. Packerrailway

Cheaper-Than-Dirt, Ammoseek, Sportsman's Guide ALL have a lot of lower priced IMPORTED ammo. Ammo that may or may not be reloadable and may or may not be VERY corrosive. Solution to corrosive ammo is CLEAN RIGHT AFTER shooting. In just handgun I go through 3-5K rounds per year. Except for actually carry ammo I reload, A LOT. As well as 4 rifle calibers and 12 gauge. You can have almost as much pleasure reloading as shooting, especially if you can develop a hunting load that groups very well.

14. Brokegunner

Brokegunner Farmall Cub

I choose not to support CTD as they will not ship to CA even on items that are legal to have shipped here. They will not bother with it, so I don't bother with them!!
    I rarely buy ammo as I have a terminal case of reloader-itis... but when I do need to make a purchase, SGAmmo out of Oklahoma is the first place I look.
    SGAMMO has PRVI Partisan Garand-safe 30-06 in stock for around 70 cents per round delivered. It's good reloadable brass and very reliable ammo: https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-0...150-grain-prvi-partizan-m1-garand-ammo-pp3006

15. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

I buy mine from CMP.

16. Packerrailway

If you already reload for some guns, just be careful when selecting starting load. SOME manuals(I'm not going to name names) actually have a section of loads specific to the M-1 Garrand. Using a load for your modern 700BDL in 30.06 might work, for a while, but most likely the energy and pressure will hammer your Garrand to hell and gone. This isn't because the Garrand has a weak design, but rather because a bolt action can handle higher pressure, hotter loads SAFER.

17. BennettMoe

BennettMoe Farmall Cub

Thanks guys. I don't shoot enough to do my own reloading, so just buy what I need. Appreciate the input.

18. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

As of Jan 1, 2018: In Calif, all ammo transactions must be done face-to-face. This means it is not legal to directly order ammo to be shipped to you. It must be shipped to an FFL, then transferred to you.

On the M1 ammo: the best performing ammo in mine is the stuff I handload. 155 gr Nosler CC bullet and IMR4064 powder, in a Remington case.