Closed Knuckle Steering Arms

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Bruce A. Frank, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Bruce A. Frank

Bruce A. Frank Farmall Cub

I have covered this before from a different point of view. I am trying to convert a '56 S120 Travelall to crossover steering. There are no aftermarket steering arms available for closed knuckle axles.

Over 30 years ago I owned my first S120 Travelall which I converted to Saginaw steering because it was easier than repairing the OEM part. Parts were easy at that time. The S120 I had then was only about 20 years old. IHC was still in the automobile and light truck business. To use the Saginaw steering gear box required a different connection to the axle than the comma shaped original equipment steering arm.

I went to the IHC dealer in Salt Lake City and asked about the steering arms that fit the top of the closed knuckle on that vehicle. Closed knuckle axles with the rectangular four bolt (bolts, not studs) were still common then. He laid one of the comma shaped arms on the counter and then another looking something like the rough drawing I have posted below. I do not remember which model he said it fit. I grabbed it up cause I knew I could modify it to make it work.

[​IMG]

Regardless, I need a different arm, new or used, to fit my Dana 44 closed knuckle axle. I am open to other shapes as long as they have the bolt pattern. The arm pictured above was steel as are all I have seen, which was easy cut and welded into the configuration I needed.

If you have an old arm that is functional, new, used, rusted, maybe even broken if both parts are there, post a picture here so I can get an idea of what I might be able to work with.

2. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Try Phil Coonrod in Grant, CO.

3. Bruce A. Frank

Doc,

Thanks for the tip. I just composed and stamped a letter to him with the diagrams of what I need. Hope he at least has email, as it could speed up the communication process after my letter gets there.

4. Bruce A. Frank

Anyone have a source for the conical washers that fit the 3/8 studs that hold the knuckle steering arm/bearing cap to the knuckle?

5. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Bruce, I know you've been looking at doing this steering arm for a while, but have you considered doing a drag link to tie rod arrangment? Like early Scout or Full size jepp? May be easier even if it needs some bends to clear the springs.

6. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Dreams of Cub Cadets

Napa had the washers last time I needed them

7. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bruce,
    Have you compared the bolt pattern to the dana 60?
    It may not be the same but looks pretty close. There are so many styles to chose from for the D60 since it is the desired diff for off roaders.
    The studs and washer kits are also avail all over the web and ebay.

[​IMG]

8. Bruce A. Frank

Yes, I have. Too big.

9. Bruce A. Frank

I'll check!

10. Bruce A. Frank

Yes, that was my original intent. I bought the end with the hole for the steering stabilizer to use as the connecting point for the drag link.

[​IMG]

But, since either side of the axle will accept the steering arm, I see an opportunity to make my installation a little more unique and, at the same time, essentially cancel out ALL bump steer. My first S120 was an excellent slow speed rock crawler, but there were dramatic excursions, even at slow speed, from my chosen path due to bump steer.

It isn't written in stone, but if I can come up with the arm, I'll do it.

11. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

OK another option: knowing that most full size pickups of the day used closed knuckle axles, and many of those were Dana built, have you looked into a steering arm from say a Ford? Dodge? IIRC you want to go crossover style rather than push pull correct? I believe all the Dodges were pushpull, but Ford tended to favor crossover.

12. Bruce A. Frank

I have asked about other brands, but so far no one has given me any feedback of an arm resembling the drawing I posted. Also, as I said, the arm I acquired years ago came from an ICH dealer, so I thought SOMEBODY would know which Binder it was built for.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  13. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Question for others... How was the steering set up on postal scouts? Is this maybe an arm from a rhd truck?

Maybe an M series?

14. Bruce A. Frank

Can anyone verify the material used to make the closed steering knuckle unit. Clearly it is a cast product, but is it steel of cast iron. I ask because I want to do some welded mods to it. A grind spark test is a bit inconclusive.

15. mallen

mallen Binder Driver

Time to hit up a wrecker and take a look.

16. Bruce A. Frank

With the square bolt pattern on the bearing cap AND the closed knuckle steering system LONG obsolete, a trip to any salvage yard here in San Francisco Bay area is non-productive.

17. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Closed knuckle isn't that obsolete. True the domestics haven't used it for decades but, Toyota used it till recently and IIRC Rover did too.