CLASSIFIED - 6X6 Scout 80//800 fusion

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by RuralTowner, Mar 7, 2017.

1. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Without hijacking the thread to much
    Midnite runner = moonshine transport vehicle
    Mountain grown= suggesting possible origins in mountainous moonshine country
    Moonshine alky powered= moonshiners were known to fuel their transport vehicles with their own product
    Luv button = Nitrous oxide activation switch
    Revenewers , Members of the government that chase mentioned moonshine transport vehicles

Just funnin around

2. RuralTowner

RuralTowner Farmall Cub

IDK....plates that came on the rig were from Cali....

3. RuralTowner

RuralTowner Farmall Cub

SIT REP!
    Key questions are in BOLD.

No build progress made just yet as I was exploring options made possible if I was able to nab a V8 800 that was at a local tow yard. Was finally in a position to look into grabbing it this weeks...called about...it got sold a couple months ago. Had a rebuilt (pretty pretty paint) engine that just needed the other stuff put back in engine bay. Interior of cab was rough but all there. Would've been P E R F E C T as I would have only needed to do the body mods. So now I'm back to SQUARE 1 but one or two other options exist.

OPTION 1! Rip my 62's heart out and install in the rolling body...the one seen in earlier posts as the potential project victim...that way I have a 4.56 geared 152. Would give even better lower end but the poor thing would really scream at me going down the road though. BUT this would allow me to NOT have to go through with an axle juggling act. Going this path....How good are 3.31 gears for offroad? Idea would be to sacrifice my 62. I would use it's rear axle...use the guts from an axle mentioned in OPTION 2 which has the right carrier and reagear it to 3.31 to match the 800As. This would give 2 posy rear ends and I'd only have to buy 1 gear set.
    I would then pull the front fenders...cut the body just back from the firewall...do the same to the rotten 800A and swap bodies. The 800A fenders would also be pulled and replaced with the ones off the 62 as they don't have rot holes in them. RESULT - 1x 4cyl 4x4 late80-early800 + 1x V8 6x6 S80//800(?). Extra body work but am saved form having to hassle with engine bay alterations.

OPTION 2! Proceed with the ORIGINAL plan of using the rolling body. To do this and still have matching gears to the 4.56 in the open knuckled D44 up front...I'd pull my 62s rear end and replace it with a SLIGHTLY wider (2" total) D44 that came from an early 70s F100. It is locking (Powr-Lok I think) with what would be 3.73 when counting pinion to hub rotations. I would LIKE to find a means to keep IT unmolested aside from a gear change to 4.27 or 4.30 so the 62 would have a locking rear in it. Unfortunately not sure if I can. I read that some of the rears used in the Fords of this time could accept almost any gear range w/o changing carriers. As I haven't found any THICK 4.27 gears, are THICK 4.30 available? This would let me keep the F100 D44 as-is but with gears to work with my front D27. Otherwise it will be a FULL gut swap which would give the 62 a marginally wider rear that would then still be open unless I change carriers and move the locker over. That WOULD let me re-use the 4.27. The PROJECT would then have 2 D44s which would then receive 4.56 gears...of which 1 would be a THICK set. This would also give me 2 locking rear ends or 1 locking + 1 open (best choice I think) if I do the carrier change. BUT then I'd have to also work out how to stuff the 304 in a 152 engine bay...an approximate equivalent no doubt of someone trying to stick a 7.3 into an SII engine bay. RESULT - 1x 4x4 S80 + 1x 6x6 S80//800A.

OPTION 3! This method throws another Scout into the mix. In fact it would fulfill OPTION 1 as a mere side effect on top of permitting the 6x6 project to be built! It involves an SII that I found. This one would wholly replace my 62 as the 4x4 toy as it comes with what looks to be a 304 w/o climbing under to look at the block stamp. It's all there minus the rag that used to cover the 2-1/2" tubing frame it has for a top. The 62 could then be <tears here> harvested for OPTION 1. The good unmolested roller could then be built with whatever engine//drive train then possibly flipped. Result - 1x 4x4 SII + 1x 6x6 S80//800A + 1x 4x4 S800(?)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. RuralTowner

RuralTowner Farmall Cub

Option 3 of course is more a bit more expensive and labor intensive BUT the end would probably be more rewarding. Would have an SII to run around in when I'm not terrorizing :4x4: everyone with the 6 wheeler and have a good 4 banger 4x for someone else to then love. Would help recoup most of the expenses too. The other routes would just be sumps.

Thoughts?

Let me know if you can even follow. :tt2: Putting the thoughts into word form can be confusing...I know.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. Bryan Johnson

Bryan Johnson Farmall Cub

Im not sure what course you should follow, but I'm just catching up on this, what a cool idea, and I'm sure this will be a build of epic proportions, i look forward to future updates!

6. RuralTowner

RuralTowner Farmall Cub

Hopefully I can decide soon. Been wanting to get this off the ground for nearly 3 years now. Doesn't help that yesterday I found an early 90s F250 w/ 7.3 non-turbo & 5sp (I think...didn't look at that closely when I went to see it today) for 1500$ not 9mi away to complicate things for me $$$ wise. Only thing wrong is U-joints going out.

As for the SII I found the guy initially mention $1k (but no title...though in AZ its fairly easy to get one) but I'm thinking I might be able to get it for 800$ if I opt for it. If I already had the 6x together it would have the same capacity as that Ferd would except in the torque dept. HP would be roughly comparable though. Since I'd be adding several feet to the Scout wheelbase I'd be eliminating the faults of the short wheel base and put it on the same field as full size P/Us. Reinforce the bed some and I'll easily have a 3/4 to 1 ton. Only limit would be what the transmission could survive....I have a shorty T18 + bell housing and the Looooong T18 currently behind the 800A's 304.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Bryan Johnson likes this.
  7. RuralTowner

RuralTowner Farmall Cub

Just noticed your sig there Bryan...that Heny Ford quote. WHY? WHY? WHY DOES IT TEMPT ME SO TO GET THE SII?! Even more now after reading that.

8. RuralTowner

RuralTowner Farmall Cub

Getting that SII went out the window. Opted to get local deal on a 1991 Ford w/ an IH 7.3 IDI NA diesel (used by a local rancher). Needed a full size truck anyway. My lil 81 Yota does its job but is poorly suited anymore for any long runs and has somewhat limited ability to get anything large or heavy. Also gives me total independence from having to use the "family" truck.
    At first was going to be a sweet trade deal...an unused 86 Chevy K10 4x4 straight across since his job has him off the beaten path alot but circumstances on his end changed so had to pay cash...hence the SII is no longer a go. Still can't really complain...might be FERD but it's Binder Powered (sounds niiiice too) and hard to beat for only $1500. Just needs U-joints & good interior.

NOW THOUGH! ONTO THE QUESTIONS!!!

This 6x6 project...from the start I'd have loved to be able to power it with a diesel...would still give me plenty of power AND keep the mpgs up! After getting the above mentioned truck...the upstairs gears are grinding along once more in regard to using a diesel even though I have a perfectly good 304. Found a 6.9 for fairly cheap (in pieces but apparently all there). Being an IH engine means I'll still be staying "stock"!

Will the long T18//D20 behind the 304 in S800 bolt right up to the IH 6.9 found in Fords or perhaps even the shorty T18 as the one I have came with the IH bell?
    (EDIT: Removed info concerning possible torque issues. Found answer over at Pirate 4x4 - T18 will survive fine.)

Already have a beefy D44 under the front of the body that would receive the beast and the rear would be getting dual D44s. Seeing as how the 304 is about the same weight as a BBC 454 the D44 should easily take even the 6.9s weight.

Last edited: May 2, 2019