Cherokee SD33T swap

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Cerveja, May 29, 2019.

1. Cerveja

Cerveja Farmall Cub

I inherited a project Jeep Cherokee with a Nissan 33T motor swap in place of the old 4 banger gasser. The engine bay is a mess, dead end wires everywhere, plumbing fitting, adapters, and extra hoses everywhere. I cringe whenever I open the hood. The vehicle needs a lot of things, but the engine bay is frightening.

One of the things I would like to do is relocate the filter/separator off the engine block and move it to the fender well. There are two rubber lines going to it with a hardline going to the fuel rail. If I relocate to the fender well, I will need to make this into a flexible rubber hose or at a minimum add in a generous coil loop to isolate the engine vibration and movement. Is this a high pressure line that requires a steel line, or can I get away with a braided or rubber line?

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

It's a low pressure line. On Vdubs with the similar injectors that line is rubber hose with braid on the outside for abrasion, not pressure. They tee into the IP return line rather than the filter and are held on with single barbs without clamps.

On the SD I think they would see lift pump pressure. I forget what it is, maybe 50ish, certainly less than 100. Use hose similar to the other two. Gas fuel injection line would probably work.

There's another line hidden. You have the inlet to the filter, the outlet that goes to the IP, the metal line and the return to the tank so you'd have three lines crossing from the fender to the motor plus the return line to the tank. Seems like a less clean arrangement to me.

I'd concentrate on cleaning up the rest of the mess rather than the fuel system that's self contained on the engine.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  3. Cerveja

Cerveja Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info. Tore the engine out over the weekend. It's bolted to a 2wd trans which I need to add a T-Case to. So now that the engine is out of the way, I can concentrate on cleaning up the engine bay. Of course I have opened up more questions than I thought. So I am a little new to the whole Nissan Diesel thing, so a lot of these questions may be super simple. There are a pair of valves of the injection manifold. One has a limit switch (red circle) which wasn't connected to anything electrically. One of the valves was connected to an old fashioned choke cable looking thing. The other one was attached to the gas pedal. I couldn't see which one was operating which from inside the car and watching the engine bay. Which one is which and what does the limit switch do.

Attached Files:

4. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

The upper lever is the fuel cutoff. Should go to a knob on the dash you pull to kill the motor.

Lower lever controls fueling and goes to the accelerator pedal.

Switch might have been the to kill the AC when the pedal was floored. Might have been involved with the EGR. My unused motor has two switches; one that's actuated at idle, the other when you floor it. They're supposed to control EGR.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019