Champion Radiator cap? overflow tank?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brandon A., Jun 11, 2019.

1. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Hello I recently installed a champion radiator in my scoutII.

1. However, I want to try a different radiator cap (than what it came with) but my old cap off brass stock radiator won't screw onto the aluminum new radiator. Where can I buy caps that will fit the champion radiator? ON a side not my champion radiator cap will screw onto my old brass radiator.......

2. Last night after driving the old girl I parked it in the garage and this morning had a puddle of coolant under the overflow tube on my garage floor. It was a about a quart or less of antifreeze. When I shut it off it was not overheated running at 180 degrees. I did not here any boiling or anything to indicate something was wrong. I have had the thermostat recently stuck open on occasion / causing the vehicle to not warm up. *** SO I am wondering if the thermostat does not close all the way when you shut the vehicle off can the overflow tank fill up with too much antifreeze???? OR is it more likely I need a different radiator cap??? Currently I do not have any other leaks that I am aware of as I did a vacuum test and it held vacuum....... Really getting tired of Cooling issues........
    Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

From my own experience, after installing my champion radiator and filling it up, i figured if I let it warm up the air would be pushed out through the overflow tank. But it didn’t because the cap won’t open untill it had about 16 pounds of pressure. The original cap opens at 7 pounds. So I had the problem my engine overheated because of a huge airbubble not opening the thermostat. I bought a new cap from rockauto with a lower pressure rating. I have had no trouble after that.

3. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

Sorry, i looked it up and the radiator comes with a 13 pounds cap. which is still too much.

4. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

No 13 isn't too much. It's what most put on there. I'm running that on a stock rad and it works just fine.

Your overflow tank should be filled 1/3 to 1/2 way when cold and it should rise when hot.

5. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Update pulled the overflow tank tonight it has a leak in the hose I believe......... Thats good I guess..... But can I just buy a radiator cap for a scout and have it fit the aluminum champion radiator? Sounds like that should work?

6. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

I like the Le-V-r or what ever they are called. I'm not sure on the cap working on the champ however.

7. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

I put a Stant Lev-R-vent 16# cap on my Champ with no issue.

tahoedonner likes this.
  8. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

I like those Lev-R caps too. One must remember to put the Lev-R down before closing the hood. It's a lesson learned through negative reinforcement.

TorqueMonster1 and winchested like this.
  9. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Ha ha guess what the misery just keeps coming. The new champion radiator with the 90 degree inlet on top instead of curved like the stock radiator hits my AC compressor but only on right hand turns when the AC is on..... Seriously I have about had it when does the he** stop coming........ I have an aftermarket compressor for modern coolant (134a I believe not sure though) possibly its sticks out more than the original style? seriously this is not needed.......... I'll post back when I find a fix. I have already tried a few ideas.....

10. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

So only make left hand turns when running the ac...

11. scoutboy74

Shut the AC off for right turns

12. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Yeah. Rewire the AC circuit so that actuating the right turn signal cuts off the AC compressor. When the turn is complete and the turn signal clicks off - the compressor clutch gets re-energized.

winchested likes this.
  13. scoutboy74

Better idea. Have a pet orangutan...let's call him Clyde for the sake of this discussion...ride in the passenger seat. Train him so that every time you say, "Right turn, Clyde," he switches off the AC.

jeff campbell and jtorre4272 like this.
  14. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

I use a standard non vented 16psi cap on my SII because some research suggested all factory caps were 16psi. I only wanted it to open at 16 psi. Not gradual like I read the vented caps would do. I also read earlier Scouts May have been only 13psi.

I would love it if someone with factory knowledge could confirm my above statements on the caps used in scouts.

Some parts houses spec a 7 psi cap. that’s absurdly low for a a system with a cooling system as tough as a Sherman tank that is all high nickel cast iron and brass. If your radiator is that fragile (all brass or all aluminum), get a new radiator.

15. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I'm using a Stant 10328 lev-r-vent. That's a 7 PSI cap. I scratched my head for a while on this one. The one on the truck when I got it was 15 PSI. I haven't had any issues since August of 2017. I reviewed all the BP threads on the subject before arriving at 7 PSI. Stock radiator BTW.

Kurt_M and jeff campbell like this.
  16. Akremtukian

Akremtukian Farmall Cub

IH Parts America lists the 7 lb cap for systems with no overflow bottle and 16 for systems with overflow bottle.

tahoedonner, robs and winchested like this.
  17. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

That's a good catch! Answers the questions!