Central Oregon Dunes Trip

Discussion in 'IH Scouts & Trucks of Oregon' started by GregF, Aug 17, 2010.

1. GregF

GregF moderator Staff Member Moderator

IHSTO Fall Camping Trip
    9/17/2010 through 9/19/2010
    What:
    The IHSTO Fall camping trip for 2010 will be at Lapine State Park on September 17th-19th. We have 6 reserved sites still available. These are all RV sites with electricity and water along with space for a tent. The sites are $22 per night. If you would like to sign up for a reserved site, contact Linda.

Saturday evening at 6pm, we will have the traditional IHSTO potluck camping dinner.

More information about Lapine State Park can be found here: Oregon State Parks
    When:
    1:00 PM
    Where:
    Lapine State Park
    Linda Wiese
    ladyscout80@gmail.com

2. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

This promises to be a great camping trip. Dunes in Central Oregon? No, not really, but there is lots of hiking, fishing or just plain hanging around the campfire.

More information about LaPine State Park is here.

Lyle

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. GregF

A mere 2 hours to the East outside Christmas Valley are 1100 acres of sand dunes! I overheard some mention at a previous meeting that those that still want to play in the sand could do so. If there is an interest, I have a nephew who lives in LaPine who could tell us the best place to go play as he goes there sometimes.

Greg

4. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

OK, looks like I need to spend more time in Central Oregon.

Lyle

5. quinng

quinng Farmall Cub

I thought the Christmas Valley dunes were closed? A co-worker is a big dune guy and he said they were closed because people weren't picking up after themselves. Maybe I misunderstood him and it's closed to camping but is still open to day-use?

6. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

I would suggest checking with the BLM to know for sure since they manage the area.

Lyle

7. quinng

quinng Farmall Cub

From what I can find it's all open. I might have to venture on over for this trip.....

8. Beast1210

Beast1210 Farmall Cub

sounds like fun, I should be moving down there in couple of weeks. Hoping to meet up with ya'll.

9. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

Quinn, when the club did the OBDR, we drove through the Christmas Valley Dunes. It was Day Use Only, but was open to vehicles. However, Christmas Valley is a long way away from LaPine. That would be an all-day trip to leave the campground, hit the dunes, and come back to camp by nightfall. I am not trying to dissuade you, but it is not a quick run. It did look pretty fun, though. As I recall, we drove by some folks nearby living in a geodesic dome house, naked in their yard. The long line of IH trucks driving by made them stare as much as we did.

10. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

If you like to join us on this trip and want a campsite, please let me know by this Friday, September 10th. We will need to release the extra campsites by then.

Lyle

11. GregF

Ah, yes. Another fine IHSTO event. It was not as well attended as I would have expected, but it was great to be out of town with friends anyhow.

We too arrived Friday afternoon and got our cabin set up for the weekend. Then went into LaPine to get a few groceries and to find my nephew's ATV/Jet ski/snowmobile rental place. We used to camp along Century Drive many years ago so we were looking forward to revisiting some old sights. Sean suggested that the View from Paulina Peak might be OK but that the cloud cover would probably prevent us from see the mountain peaks.

We did the drive and enjoyed a view like he expected we would see. Lakes, lava flows(solidiefied) and views of the forests but no Three Sisters, Broken Top, etc. Went back to camp for dinner and visiting with fellow Binder Nuts.

It did indeed start raining and it did so like Lyle has already covered. Saturday morning the group wanted to go to the top of Paulina peak and there wasn't a view. I could show them what I saw the night before in my camera but that was about it. The tour of campgrounds around East and Palina lakes was interesting followed by a tasty lunch at Paulina Lake Lodge.

After retuning back to camp. my wife wanted to go tour some garage sales in the area so we did that until Potluck time.
    Another fine IH meal in the books. Nephew Sean and family showed up for a interesting chat about trucks, IH in particular.
    They really enjoyed the visit and IH hospitality. Thanks.

Sunday morning was still raining as we packed up, said goodbye and headed to Sean's home for a tasty brunch. Then we headed to the High Desert Museum and spent about 4 hours there. The rain was letting up during that time. The museum was well done but some exhibits were the same as 18 years ago.
    Others were new and interesting. At $15 each admission, we will be waiting quite a while before returning based on their slow turnover.

Dinner in Redmond and ice cream in Madras and the next thing we knew, we were home again.

Great weekend.:clap: