Carlisle PA truck nats 3-5 Aug

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by Brian Schermann, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Brian Schermann

Brian Schermann Binder Driver

Anyone going?? This snuck up on me. I was going to drag up a trailer load of stuff to sell, not gonna happen. Also was planning a garage sale for that weekend. Oh well have to decide what I'm going to do. If I go it would be either Fri or Sat.

Later Brian

2. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

I'm in. Gonna take my Scout and also the maroon one we've been working on for a customer. Should be interesting to see public reaction to that one...:)

3. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

I will be there. :beer:

4. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

I might run up one day.

5. Surf Pirate

Surf Pirate Guest

I'll be there! But I'm looking for a bit of advice: I don't own a scout yet but I'm looking to get one soon. I would like to get a 800 to use as a daily driver. What should I look for in a scout? What should I avoid? Is the 196 to small to get highway speeds or be practical as a daily driver? I think a V8 would be cool but I also like the little 4 cylinder.

I'm thinking I should look for a truck that has a straight body and frame. I don't care if there has been aftermarket work done or not and it can be ugly as hell as long as it's not eaten up with rust. My goal is a daily driver that I can upgrade over time. I'm thinking I can get this for somewhere between $3000 - $5000. Does that seem reasonable? And do you know of any available trucks? I'm in the Baltimore MD area but I would be willing to drive a bit for good deal.

I'm stoked to come see all of the rigs that will be at Carlisle and meet some of the people who own them. I would love to leave with a truck if I can find something worth picking up.

6. TCRIMSONK

TCRIMSONK Farmall Cub

I think you'll get the answers you need hanging out with the Scout group at Carlisle. My Scout II had a 196 when I got it, but threw a connecting rod. I dropped in a 345, and have been much happier with it than I was with the 196. That said, lots of people love the 196.

7. atlantascoutfan

I would vote for a 1969-71 Scout 800 with a V8 engine. They have a lot more oomph, though you will pay for it at the pump. The 196 is a fine engine and gets better gas mileage though, if you're willing to sacrifice some time getting up to speed:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67744&page=2

We'll have plenty of time to talk at Carlisle I hope. And who knows, maybe you will find something there to take home with you. See you there! :)

8. TCRIMSONK

TCRIMSONK Farmall Cub

What time do things kick off on Saturday? I'm only an hour and a half away, but considering driving up Friday night, and sleeping in my Scout somewhere.

9. atlantascoutfan

Gates open around 8am but don't expect folks much before 10. The local VFD has camping/parking spots around back of the fairgrounds on the cheap if you're so inclined. See you at the show!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  10. Brian Schermann

Brian Schermann Binder Driver

I'm planning on driving up Sat am. Should be there around 9am. Will walk the swap meet first when cooler. Hope I don't get wet like last year.

See Ya

Brian