Car Covers? brands and materials

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Selkirk, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Selkirk

Selkirk Farmall Cub

OK-guys after I spent half a day washing my trucks and then comming back to find a fine layer of dust over them. And not to mention the dirt dobbers that will build a nest in the most remote places possible. It's time to invest in some car/truck covers.

So-what covers are yall using? There seems to be a ton of models/materials/makers out there.

I need something for inside storage (metal building,concrete slab) for my scout and my pickups. They humidity is always high around here so they would need to be breathable. Also I would like to keep the price under a $100 per cover since I need a couple of them.

Thanks for any help or info,

Selkirk

2. BinderMark

BinderMark Farmall Cub

I used a company called California Car Cover for the one that is used over my 1980 Scout II. It fits perfect. When ordering they asked if there was a spare tire on the back and a roof rack and any special mirrors so they sell covers for Scouts and know what options are available for them. They included covers that I had to put on for the Super Scout mirrors that are on my Scout. They are a bit pricey and start at your figure of $100 but are very nice. Their website is: www.calcarcover.com .

A couple of things to consider when using a car cover that I learned the hard way: Watch out for mice eating the cover from the inside out. The little creatures would sit on the cowl and make a nest out of the cover unbeknownst to me. They would jump onto a tire and then climb up the cover. I now use a peppermint spray to keep them away. Or use a trap and feed the cat.

Because of the humidity you might consider buying what they call a Goldenrod. I like the 36" ones and use 2 in each Scout II. One in the back in the cargo area and one in the front on the transmission hump. 18" and 24" ones are also made. One 18" goldenrod could fit on the floorboard on each side of the transmission hump in the front and will keep the inside of the vehicle from getting moisture into the gauges, stereos etc. These can also be bought at California Car Covers and are the best price there also. The 36" ones are hard to find but they have them in stock.

Good luck.

3. BinderMark

BinderMark Farmall Cub

Knew I forgot something: Leave the windows down just an inch or so and that is where the extension cord for the goldenrods can go and it also helps keep the interior dry so mold won't grow or get a musty smell.

4. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

so they'll have one for a terra (118" WB)? does it reach the ground? i may need a taller one as i have the 2" body lift and 4" suspension lift. are they paint/chemical resistant? i happen to rent my garage with a friend that doesn't listen well, i told him no spray painting but everytime i go in his stuff is a different color..... :nono: :mad: he wants to build a "wall" but the whole reason i rented a 2 bay was to HAVE A 2 BAY! i'm thinking of making a tarp curtain and throwing a car cover on the scout.

good post, i was just going to make one on this subject.
    thanks,
    -Jon

5. Steve Rose

Steve Rose Farmall Cub

Just this morning I bought a Budge Lite SUV cover UB-1. I bought it online from Checker (Schuck's, Kragen) for $30. Features:
    * Spun-bonded polypropylene
    * Breathable
    * Water Repellent (not waterproof)
    * UV Treated
    * Double Stitched Seams
    * Fully Elasticized Hems
    * Soft, Abrasion-Resistant Material
    * Protects Your Vehicle from Dust and Dirt
    * Storage Pouch Included
    To get that price (discounted $5), you have to buy it online, use 4PICKUP as the coupon code and pick it up at the nearest retail store.

Not my favorite auto parts store, but they have bargains on some items. The UB-1 part number is the size for Explorer and S10 Blazer. With 4-inch lift and 33-inch tires, I don't think it will be all over the floor. I will let you know once I've tried it.

6. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

i have a feeling that won't fit the extra lenght of the terra. plus i think there'd be a lot of extra in the back. i was wondering if it reached the ground to cover the rims, if it doesn't that's no big deal paint is alot easier to get off chrome instead of nice paint!

-Jon

7. Brian K.

Brian K. Binder Driver

Here's the name of an outlet store that I always use:

www.covercraft.com/outlet_store.htm

Every once in awhile you can find a "second" custom made in exactly what you want. Otherwise, another tip is to measure your Scout and Google the dimensions of a more common SUV. I did this for my Isuzu Trooper and found that a Nissan Pathfinder custom-fit cover fits the Trooper perfectly.

Good Luck!

Brian

8. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

A recent article in Wooden Boat magazine touted using 'Tvyek' - the stuff they wrap new houses in before installing the siding - apparently the stuff breathes. Has anybody tried it for a car cover?

9. stephanie72001

stephanie72001 Farmall Cub

I purchased my truck cover from Empire Truck Covers and I am very happy I did. It is great quality, durable, and was low priced.

Since you're looking for indoor storage to protect against dust, they offer the Standard Cover which is low priced ($59.99 for trucks). It's breathable too so you won't have to worry about the humidity.

Good luck in your search!