Can't fuel '74 Scout II

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Hipofords, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hipofords

Hipofords Farmall Cub

I recently bought an all original '74 Scout, with 345/727/4WD. First IH I've owned. It runs decent, but I've got a problem when I go to fuel it. Virtually immediately I hear fuel coming up the fuel tube, and if I didn't shut down the nozzle, it would spill fuel all over. After several minutes I can get another fuel tube worth of fuel in it, but obviously something is amiss. I've yet to dive in to disassembling the filler neck, checking for possible obstructions there, plugged vent tubes, etc., and just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or might have a suggestion as to initial steps to take? Many thanks.

2. rustfreeTX

rustfreeTX Binder Driver

I've had this happen after I replaced a filler tube with a used one. Didn't check the the main vent tube that runs all the way to the top, had a what looked like a mud dauber in it. In your case I would check all vent tubes, there's also a venting system in the access panel in the rear that has many small vent tubes that go to the tank. My bet would be on the main vent tube that follows the filler tube though.

3. Hipofords

Hipofords Farmall Cub

Good info, thank you. Would you think I could disconnect the main vent tube and blow it out with compressed air, or is there another method I'd need to use?

4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

For one thing, the nozzles at modern gas station fuel pumps seem to output at a higher pressure than those of yesteryear. Not much we can do about that, other than to go slow and steady. Another real problem that is a bigger issue on Scouts produced prior to some time in '77 or '78, is that the fitting for the vent hose is too far down on the plastic filler neck. It gets easily overwhelmed by the flow of incoming fuel. At some point in production, the filler necks were changed to steel instead of plastic, and with the fitting for the vent hose placed higher up so that it is above the fuel nozzle discharge. This helps greatly.

jtorre4272 and rustfreeTX like this.
  5. rustfreeTX

rustfreeTX Binder Driver

You could certainly try that, would make sense to try it from the tank end, but may want to be careful not to blow possible debris into your filler tube. I replaced my plastic filler tube with a metal one because it cracked. The metal ones have a small metal vent tube that follows the whole filler tube, was harder to clean out, whereas the plastic ones you could replace the vent tube if needed.

6. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Meanwhile, suppose you get a 2' - 3' piece of ('thin' walled) Tygon tubing that will fit snugly over the nozzle and slip farther down into the tank; hold it while filling the tank and keep track of the amount put in to avoid sudden fuel release as the level gets near the top. This works so long as the sensor in the nozzle doesn't shut off due to added pressure from friction. I've used the trick on my 800.

7. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Might try filler nozzle position?, my Scout won't take fuel if you put the nozzle into the filler neck!, but if you just barely hook it in the end of the neck where you'd swear it'll fall out!??, it'll take fuel as fast as the pump will put it in!

8. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

It's just a general pain in the neck to fill the tank. You need to go slow and steady for sure. Another thing to take note of is the big fill tube creates an unfavorable trap (like a sink). It bends under the body sheet metal and then comes back up to connect to the tank. I like the sleeve tube idea!!

9. Paul Keel

Paul Keel Farmall Cub

Years ago I added a threaded bass barbed hose fitting to the top of my '73 plastic filler neck (sealed it well with gas "proof" sealant) and ran a hose from it to the highest vent connection on my tank (I am not currently using the air vapor separator). I have had almost no trouble since then with sloshing out and/or constantly stopping way before be full.

10. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

That's a good idea! I think the "vent" line that is supposed to release the air is kinda useless as it is not at the top of the tank. This is my tank out of the trunk. Note I was never equipped with a liquid vapor separator so I am missing all the top corner ports.
    20150718_080226.jpg

11. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

How many gallons are you guys pumping in from empty before she starts blocking the fuel?

12. Paul Keel

Paul Keel Farmall Cub

I think normally when I fill it up it is 12 to 15 gallons. I usually don't feel like I need to put any more in after it automatically stops the first time.

Edit: This morning (06/14/19), I filled up at Mapco at the fastest notch on the hose lever. It stopped at 14.8 gallons with a little gas dribble out the hole.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 7:43 AM
  13. Hipofords

Hipofords Farmall Cub

Thanks for the input, I'll have to get at it. Incidentally this thing does the same routine whether I fill from a pump or from a gas can at home. Up the neck it comes and it takes several minutes to go down again, so something is messed up even if these are generally hard to fill. I took a cursory look underneath at the filler pipe, and it appears to be metal. Someone mentioned they thought it might be plastic and I believe I understand early Scout IIs were plastic. Any idea when the changeover occurred?

14. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Pull the vent line off the tank and make sure it isn't blocked?

I have zero issues filling mine from a gas can.