can a SD33T run backwards?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by IH64Scout, Jul 23, 2006.

1. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

well my jeeper buddy ruffled my feathers today so i told him let's get the chains. so we chained the Diesel scout to the '76 cj-7 AMC 304 powered , SOA, 4.56's, spool rear, locker front..... yea i knew i was in deep but i figured i'd stand my ground as long as i could! :p :rolleyes: well with the chains hooked, the diesel clacking and the trucks in 4 lo everyone stood aroud and watched, my friend yelled HIT IT and we went, the diesel coughed then let a cloud of smoke from under the hood and changed tone quickly... i ripped the engine stop. poped the hood and everything was still intact. my friend said he heard of diesels running backwards and i've heard of it too, i've seen 2 stroke dirt bikes run backwards but they have reeds, the SD33's have valves correct? :confused: i didn't think it'd work with valves.

and to finish the pull story, we fired the diesel again, i revved it up, he yelled go, and i gave it my all, the left rear and right front tires clawed the pavement for all they could, the little SD33 pulled as hard as it could, she stood her ground for 2 seconds then i started to get pulled.... :( at least i tried. that's ok though my friend's 392 SSII is almost ready to go, i know he'll put a beatin on that cj-7 for me! :D

2. dick ardrey

dick ardrey Binder Driver

sd33 will run UPSIDEDOWN I've done it.

lazer

3. bluescout

bluescout High Wheeler

Get a look in your air filter. If it's covered in soot on the inside then it may have been backwards.

4. MUDDAWG

MUDDAWG Equal Opportunity Offender

ive ran a cummins big cam backwards

it was in a dump bucket ..i got bogged down in mud
    i bogged the engine so low it changed direction
    it did change exhaust note too
    and did not have as much power

i turned it off... restarted kicked in the pwr divider and pulled outa the hole

5. BinderMark

BinderMark Farmall Cub

Hello; Why not give it a real test and hook both trucks up to the same pulling sled, at different times of course. That is exactly why they use pulling sleds. We know that both trucks can pull, but the point is to see which can pull the weight off of the course.

6. pri

pri High Wheeler

Yep, diesels can run backwards.
    This is NOT a good thing, as everything runs backwards, like the oilpump and such... How long do you think it will run without lubrication? :eek:

Another note on diesels running backwards: Not all diesels that run backwards respond to the stopper being pulled (or key turned off). The thing to do is to put it in gear, let go the clutch, and put full preassure on the brakes.
    Another thing is, when they start running backwards, most diesels run wild and respond backwards on the accelerator pedal. I.e. released it makes full power and depressed it makes low power...

Lots of things to think about when it goes crazy... :D

Paul

7. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

it was no longer then 5 seconds i was fumbling for the stop lever the odd cackle it was makin scared me! :eek:

8. Zukinut

Zukinut Farmall Cub

Ah, the tug o war stories. Any of the old hands remember me and the t-alls back in the day.

As for the diesel runnin backwards. I used starting fluid to start a 7.3 IH pre powerstroke diesel once. It sounded funny but i shut the hood, jumped in, thru it in reverse and hit the car in FRONT of me. So i do know that diesels will run backwards.

9. justscoutin

justscoutin Binder Driver

^ :eek: :D ^ I almost wet myself! that sucks but still sounded funny!