Building a bumper

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by bdgn01, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Thanks, and you're welcome! Here's a shot of the whole thing mounted up (but not finished) as of this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to buy six more stainless allen-head bolts to secure clips for the wire to the license plate light; four go in the back of the bumper and one goes on the back of the swingarm. I drilled and tapped them last night, and should be able to get to them with the bumper mounted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

And here's a shot with the tire mounted, as of this morning:

[​IMG]

3. Joe M

Joe M Farmall Cub

Love the pics and progress you made with the bumper. I used the same spindle. Here are some pics of mine. Im just now finishing it up.

Attached Files:

4. Joe M

Joe M Farmall Cub

This one shows the latch I used and how I set it. Again, well done on yours. They look sorta like twins!

-Joe

Attached Files:

5. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Joe,

Your bumper looks great! And you're right, minus a few details, they could be twins. I especially like the setup you made around the spindle for locking it in place–I'm assuming you use this to lock it in place when it's open. That's the thing I didn't take into consideration, and is especially important when parked on an incline where the swingarm can potentially smash the endcap (see the picture above).

My plan is to put in a pair of cleats, one on the bottom of the swingarm and the other on the top of the bumper, with a strap to connect the two. I need to find something with a disconnect but I haven't found anything yet.

Thanks again for the spindle suggestion– it works perfectly.

6. Joe M

Joe M Farmall Cub

The stopping mechanism I made is a simple plate with the hole drilled at the point I want it to stop. I can't think of the time I was stopped on flat ground and had the tailgate down. It always seems to be some type of slope....

The little arm that is spring loaded was fun to make. My buddy recently got a mill and metal lathe and we made the part with that.

Next I need to run the elec up the side of the arm to power the light on the license plate.

Have a great Day!

Joe

7. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Holy Smoke! I thought gas was expensive in California. But we don't have deposit boxes for clothes and shoes yet!!! :eek:
    What's next organ coolers so you can pay with a kidney, lung or liver???? :D

Scott

8. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Ha! I hear you, brother. That's an elegant solution, and one I wish I'd thought of before I assembled and painted everything...

Let me know if you need any other pictures of the setup I used on mine.

9. kingben01

kingben01 Farmall Cub

Count your blessings. Its almost 6 bucks a gallon here..:censored::censored::censored:

10. binderbart

binderbart High Wheeler

How about a deposit box for a arm and a leg:D

11. reddoor1

reddoor1 Farmall Cub

bd- We had once discussed using a gas piston or a lift gate arm to control the stopping point. May be worth thinking about. It could fit nicely under the swing arm.

Brian

12. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Just a quick update– I put the last clips in, swapped out the red wire for black, and capped off the castle nut.

Attached Files:

13. A1911Handler

A1911Handler Farmall Cub

Did you get a chance to weigh your bumber? I drive with no spare and it's a little sketchy, so I would really like something similar to what you have built. I was just wondering if my tired old suspension would handle all that steel.

That bumper build looks great too. Looks like you got the ratio of beers to engineering just right. I always err on the side of too many beers!

14. reddoor1

reddoor1 Farmall Cub

I did happen to weigh my bumper which is almost exactly the same as Bills. With the tire (BFG 31"), it ticks in just under 200 pounds. My tired old suspension couldn't handle the weight so I had to go with new springs, which were desperately needed anyway.

15. Ray Cass

Ray Cass Farmall Cub

Now bring it to Pinelands, and we'll give it a workout!

Ray

16. Mike_Ert

Mike_Ert Farmall Cub

I like where you have gone with this. I am thinking of borrowing heavily on this design. I don't have a separate receiver as you do though. Would this be stout enough to mount a receiver to?

17. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Mike,

I think if you were to mount a receiver in it, you'd want to find a different way to mount it to the frame. As others have said in the thread above, the crossmember at the tail is pretty weak. I'd find a way to replace it with something stronger, or tie directly into the frame with your supports. I'd hate for you to hook your boat up to it and pull the whole bumper off the back of the truck.

Fire away with any other questions you have.

18. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

I'd like to thank BDGN01 for stating this thread and doing the heavy lifting with the bumper design on the Scout. I based mine on the drawings and parts and pieces and just got it finished before getting coated. Right now it's in the white and I'm either going to have it sprayed with LineX or powder coated. My front bumper which was built by the PO could go on a locomotive so this rea bumper complements the front.

My tow bumpers have the Scout well protected...

The front bumper has a plate that I need to install and I'm adding a Badlands 12,000 lb winch. $299 was hard to beat and I won't be using it that often only when needed. I'm going to fabricate a low profile cover for the winch too.

Attached Files:

J Scout 2 likes this.
  19. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Looks great! I like your limiting stop idea very much; it's a simple and elegant solution. I think I'm going to steal that for my setup when it warms up in the spring. How did you tie the mount in with the frame? I also like the clevis mounts you mounted–do you mind if we ask where you got 'em?

One thing I'd like to follow up on here is how it affects your ride. I'm running a set of Triangle springs with 2" pucks under the body, and I notice a bit of front-to-back float when I hit expansion joints and large bumps at speed (60 mph). Can you give us some info on your current suspension setup and how the new weight in back affects your ride?

Nice job!

20. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

I will see if I can get some and send to you. They were made by a friend with the help of someone's CNC machine which I don't have! Let me work on it since you had the original design.

As far as ride, I haven't noticed anything much different but look at my front bumper. It is about as heavy as the rear so I think I may be balanced. The front is going to get another 80 pounds with the winch.

Regarding my suspension, it has a reverse shackle front with very heavy duty steel and performs well. Nothing special in the springs. I have all new body mounts, original sheet metal and no rust. The PO who did the work, reinforced the rear bumper mount when he replaced the body bushings with a channel and braces. Will take some pictures lat in the week if you like.