Build Plan

Discussion in 'Anything Scout' started by 63_scout_80, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 63_scout_80

63_scout_80 Farmall Cub

I am new to this forum, and forums in general. I just bought a 1963 Scout 80. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a broken frame. I was hoping to steal as much of the drive train from the Chevy as possible and make the 63 into a daily driver. My goal is the raise it enough to look tough but not so much that it rides bad on the highway or has trouble entering parking garages. I am a weekend warrior mechanic but have descent wrench skills and mig welding skills. I am looking for guidance on a build plan. Is stealing the Chevy drivetrain a bad idea? what type of lift should i be looking at? I dont see a lot of sources for sheet metal, should i brush up on my english wheel skills or is there a source i haven't seen yet? What are some modern conveniences the more experienced forum members say i wont be able to live without, such as an upgrade to the wiper system?
    I know its a lot to ask but throwing it out there to see what i get. Thanks...

2. Mattd

Mattd Farmall Cub

welcome to the forums! I don't have any direct hands on experience with the Scout 80's but here is my 2 cents. Look at the braking system, you might want to change drums to disk in the front or some people go to hydro boost brakes. Another thing to consider are the axles. A lot of people will bump up to a dana 44 axle which I believe could be wider than your stock ones, especially if they are from a different vehicle than a scout II but often times they come with disk brakes on the front. Also I would look at the steering system, do you have manual steering? If so you could upgrade to power steering, or ram assist steering or some people take the steering boxes from other vehicles and throw them into their scout. The leaf springs could be tired and could benefit from being rebent or a new set installed, especially if you're wanting a lift, new lift springs are an easy way to get the lift. One thing I overlooked in the beginning was insulation throughout my scout. When you're installing the new engine, consider putting insulation on the underside of the scout where the tranny is along with on your firewall, it will make driving more pleasurable.

I'm sure other's will chime in here as well but I hope this at least gives you some things to think about. Best of luck to your project! Hope to see your build posted here for us to enjoy

3. 63_scout_80

63_scout_80 Farmall Cub

Thanks for the quick reply. I will take your advice on all of it. I not only have the 2003 chevy 4x4 that I will steal parts from but i live 1 mile from a descent sized auto salvage yard. Yard pulling parts is nothing new to me. My challenge will be knowing what to pull and how to rig it in. Ive pulled a lot of yard parts in my time but never modified them for use in a vehicle for which they weren't initially designed. I was thinking about the insulation thing. I now know it is a MUST.

4. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

You might want to move over to the Binder Build Threads under General IH Tech section of the forum. It gets a lot more traffic. We often have build threads going and will post specific questions in the General IH Tech thread.