Brakin' Free

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by roguemustang, Apr 6, 2020.

1. roguemustang

roguemustang Farmall Cub

So since I'm at home on pandemic leave, I was hoping to take advantage of the free time (other than dealing with the middle/elementary school distance learning stuff) to finally get around to looking at my '66 1100. Long story short, the last time this truck was registered was '97, so I'm guessing that was when my dad parked it and never looked at it again.

My problem (well, the first of many) is that the trans (three on the tree) seems to be locked up. Sure, the master cylinder is bone dry, so the hydraulic clutch doesn't work, but I should be able to move the shifter without the clutch, correct? I'm minimizing trips to the store, and apparently (after about an hour of looking) don't have any brake fluid at home to try the clutch right not. Does anyone have any other ideas how to break the tranny free? Right now I don't even know if I can turn the engine over since it's stuck in gear without a clutch. The next option would be getting under there and trying to remove the drive shaft, I guess.

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Warning:
    If it's an IH engine, it will need to be manually pre-oiled before turning it over in order to not damage the camshaft bearings. It would be good to remove the spark plugs and examine them to see the state of combustion when it ran last time, to check the carburetor for shrunken gaskets or deposits of gum and varnish, etc. before trying to run it again, too.

As for shifting, assuming the input shaft doesn't have strain on it from the engine being stopped but the wheels trying to rotate the output shaft (e.g. rolling downhill in gear), yes it should slip out of gear. If the column linkage got stuck in the wrong position when parked, that could be locking it up. If you can reach the linkage levers on the side of the transmission, by removing cotter pins the remote link rods may be removable. With parking brake on and/or wheels blocked, and the rods removed, the side levers should be moveable, allowing you to put it into Neutral. The shifting lever inside should then be free to move to; if not, where the rods attach at the column within the engine bay may need to be worked with.
    Any chance you already have a Factory Service Manual for the truck? Well worth getting one, if not; a Parts manual is also very useful, both if you intend t keep and work on the truck.

Are you a teacher or involved as support for ones who are?

3. roguemustang

roguemustang Farmall Cub

Just a parent who has to chase the kids around so they don't play video games all day or sit on the couch watching TV. I'm one of those MEAN parents that set up a schedule for their school time, chore time, Boy Scout time, etc. I even included ultra cruel tasks like reading a book (made of paper) and writing a letter (also paper, with a pen/pencil).

4. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

If the weather is conducive and you have any neat places nearby, what about taking them on a long hike, looking for good stuff like fossils, birds, snakes or spring flowers, and having them write a report about the whole episode when back home? Put it away so they can find and reread it in a few decades and then remember what you all went through because if the viral 'war'.

BTW, did your dad park and leave the truck because of the shifting problem?

5. roguemustang

roguemustang Farmall Cub

Weather was nice enough yesterday that I gave the kids a quick into to old trucks. We pulled the distro and valve cover and primed the oil. That was good news. Also filled the master cylinder and bled the clutch cylinder. That was enough to get the truck out of gear.

Spun it around for a while but it never fired. Checked plugs and they aren’t great but when I tested one it was sparking, so I’ve got juice.

I may need to get new plugs/wires before I try again, just to be sure. Another neat thing is that with the battery connected, I can’t turn off the headlights. Must be a short somewhere. Not too worried about that one yet tho. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. roguemustang

roguemustang Farmall Cub

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gringo Gomez likes this.
  7. wjajr

wjajr Binder Driver

My 67 1200B sat since 1998 to 2017, has four speed so none of the column shift linkage to get discombobulated for what ever reason. It came out of gear with a good tug on gear lever, but would not slide from neutral into any gear as if it were bound-up. Not until engine was started, and transmission allowed to rotate it innards while in neutral did gear selection become doable with pressure on shift lever. Once whatever crust was preventing things from sliding in gear box wore down or became lubricated she shifted very nicely. Clutch and slave cylinder were leaking by, and need to be replaced allowing clutch full articulation to disengage engine. In 67 IH went to separate brake & clutch masters probably because that is the year duel braking systems were mandated.

Pull down and look at the headlight switch for the lights on problem, it's most likely corroded. New switch is not expensive. Also inspect all the wiring for bad insulation and corroded connections to keep the Fire Gods at bay. You wouldn't want to let all the smoke out of the wires.

Looks like a nice "barn-find", like mine I suspect it was never lost. Hope fully you don't have a lot of rust to deal with. I like the West Coast mirrors.

8. Phil

Phil Farmall Cub

You might try putting some fresh gas down the throat of the carb, then see if it will fire. If its been setting since '97, the gas in the tank is not going to be any good at all as well as the carb, fuel lines, fuel pump and gas tank being pretty gummed up. Great you got the shifter figured out-that's a start.