Brake lights 1957 harvester

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Kudu bull, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Kudu bull

Kudu bull Farmall Cub

I rewired my brake lights. They worked fine but after 10 minutes they came on automatically. So they work but they come on without the brake being pressed after about 10 min. I am thinking maybe the stop switch is bad. Anyone else have this issue or have any recommendations?

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

re: Brake lights 1957 harvester
    Is this on a cotton picker, a tomato harvester, or something more common here (on site) like a truck?
    Does the 10 minute delayed-turn-on happen every time the vehicle is started? My best suggestion, without more details, would be to do a thorough examination of that circuit and any related wiring, first to see if you hooked it up as intended; second, to find any short circuits.Do you have a test lamp or VOM?
    What circuits use any kind of delay? Are there any? Carburetor choke? Aftermarket alarm?

3. Kudu bull

Kudu bull Farmall Cub

It is a S-120 4x4. I have replaced all the wiring. When I hit the brake pedal the brake light comes on and then in about 10 minutes it automatically comes on. If I hit the brake pedal again the light turns off and the cycle is repeated. To me it sounds like a bad stop switch but I am not sure.

4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Position yourself where you can look up under the dash and view the brake pedal pivot point. See if there is a contact switch similar to a door jamb switch for cabin lights that comes in contact with the pedal arm when your foot isn't applying pressure. This switch is present on 70's era LL vehicles, but I'm unfamiliar with your vintage.

5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Those brake switchs are on the end of the master cylinder...
    Just replace it ...
    Did you ever figure out if your truck came with blinkers?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020