Brake drums relined

Discussion in 'The Machine Shop' started by Mark Erickson, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Mark Erickson

Mark Erickson Farmall Cub

Since I can't buy new brake drums for a s-120 is there any company that can relined them?

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Every drum I've seen is a heat treated alloy cast iron outer section with a steel canter welded in. I'd think it would be nearly impossible to get a good bond and keep the original metallurgical properties of the drum even using fancy new processes like plasma spray welding to build up the inside. It would be different if it were for some other application besides brakes which involve both high pressures and heat, or if it were a Show Car and just for looks, but the risk of failure and liability involved are highly significant with brakes.
    If one had enough money, new ones could be made from scratch just as the original ones were, but who's that rich here?

Just for fun, you might google "plasma spray welding" and call some of the companies that show up to confirm my opinion.

3. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Crazy thought of the day , line the drums with friction material , riveted or bonded,
    and use shoes with a steel plate on them :1eye: Thoughts ?? Too much heat ?

Many older cranes and dragline type equipment had a variety of inside /outside styles and types of
    friction surfaces ( some on the same drum )

4. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

that's GOOD thinking, i still have an old " LIMA 34 " dragline, and yes i've been around that style of brake/ shoe lining works. i don't see why that wouldn't work. as long as its nt a hotrod truck. LOL

5. Dana Strong

It would probably be easier to modify the system to use disc brakes from some similar application, making adapters if needed, than trying this idea. Yes, with the steel shoes and outer friction material, the inside would be more insulated and have much less radiating surface too, so heat would be a serious problem. I'd think with the equipment it's used on, it wouldn't be constantly slowing any moving machinery but rather would mainly be for locking it in place while working, so heat wouldn't be a problem.
    For anything used on the road, if an accident occurred, particularly one involving braking or lack thereof, such a system would be hard to defend, if it were discovered., even if it did work well. That's the nature of the modern justice system....

.​

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  6. Mark Erickson

I take at as a NO.

7. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

8. Dana Strong

Yes, it's worth trying and as I said earlier, he should probably call other companies too rather than give up based on my opinion. I will note, however, that this company's information only talks about aluminum drums being refitted with new cast iron inserts, so it doesn't look promising to me for our applications.

9. BrandonBerkosky

BrandonBerkosky Binder Driver

I sold in S120 to Brendan Barnes at Barnes IH . I converted everything over to eight lug. But I gave him all the original six lug stuff with it. I'm sure he still has them and he probably has 20 more besides that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mark Erickson

11. Mark Erickson

Please tell how you converted in tp 8 lug?

12. BrandonBerkosky

Dana 60 rear from a 69-75 D. Relocate spring perches and shock mounts. That's the easy part!!

The front. Well. It goes like this. I had just converted my orange 73d to 4wd. While the axle was on the bench I figured I'm going disc brakes. Got the complete disc setup from a 70s jeep j truck. So now I had all the spare drum 8 lug stuff.

Ok so then while the red 56 was in the shop I kinda wondered how different the spindles could be? I took them apart and they were close. So I swapped spindles and backing plates from the orange truck. And threw the drums on.
    I do remember having to heat and bend the spindles to clear the backing plates.

It's been like 3 years so I can't remember all the fine details. But it wasn't that bad.

13. BrandonBerkosky

Dana 60 rear from a 69-75 D. Relocate spring perches and shock mounts. That's the easy part!!

The front. Well. It goes like this. I had just converted my orange 73d to 4wd. While the axle was on the bench I figured I'm going disc brakes. Got the complete disc setup from a 70s jeep j truck. So now I had all the spare drum 8 lug stuff.

Ok so then while the red 56 was in the shop I kinda wondered how different the spindles could be? I took them apart and they were close. So I swapped spindles and backing plates from the orange truck. And threw the drums on.
    I do remember having to heat and bend the steering arms to clear the backing plates.

It's been like 3 years so I can't remember all the fine details. But it wasn't that bad.