Bought a Baby Binder!

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BigRigg, Aug 26, 2016.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I found a baby binder on the local craigslist, and I couldn't help myself:banana:. My Wife has wanted one of these for a long time, and she was going to settle with a scout II, given the price increases on these 80/800's. But the price on this was unreal :clap:, so here we go again! Her name is Esther!

1967 800
    266 V8
    4speed manual
    Dana 30/44
    Dana 20
    Fairly new 32 x 11.50 Dueler MT's
    The standard nasty, welded to the frame, deer-killer-of-a-bumper
    There are some dents in the wheel well areas, but Only one spot of cancer on the whole rig.

On with the Pics!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And the spot of cancer, behind driver door, per usual...
    [​IMG]

This scout was running down the road, and toasted a rear axle bearing. The PO had it towed to his barn, and there it has sat for the past 18 months. If I keep this 800 axle, I'll need to find a new tapered shaft (anyone have one they want to sell?), and get some new bearings. I do have a spare set of SII axles, so we may go that route. Disc brakes would be a nice upgrade, and better turning radius is a big plus as well!

It will be a few weeks for me to get back down there and grab it, but the title is in hand, and I can't wait to get it into the shop!

MrKenmore and jiman23 like this.
  2. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

NICE!!! And in decent shape.

I would SII axle it.

3. Scott L

Scott L High Wheeler

And a helluva good price! Saw that one this am on CL and figured it would go quick. Congrats!

4. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Congratulations on your find.

Plus, V8 power and a 4 speed manual.

If I were in your shoes, I would head out and buy a lottery ticket why your luck holds!

5. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Nice. Looks awesome.

6. Scout Driver

Scout Driver Binder Driver

Awesome! Looks very solid and complete!

Scott

7. CoopVA

CoopVA Binder Driver

Great find!

8. George Womack

George Womack Y-Block King

scout2000 likes this.
  9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Thanks guys! It is very complete, the only things missing that I can figure at the moment are the headliner, the stock shifter knob, the am radio, and the original front seats. The rear seat is there, and looks like it was upholstered at some point. It's very nice. The emblems for the front, and the dash pad are inside the cab. Both gas tanks look good, and the body is really straight. The engine compartment looks to be covered in 50 years of grime, which will be fun to clean, and fully expected. It looks like the wiring might be a little suspect, but that's ok. Junk 80/800's have been selling around here for insane prices. The PO had a number of calls in the one or two days that it was on craigslist. He had a guy in Ohio call and ask about it, who proceeded to tell the PO that he was giving the scout away. fortunately for me, I was the first to show with cash, and the PO didn't raise his price!

I showed it to my wife about 10 PM the night before, and she said she wanted it. There was no way I wasn't buying it.

George, When I bring it home, I will proudly post detailed pictures of that ugly bumper. It is welded to the frame in multiple areas. It's a good thing that I have a plasma cutter. Good Grief.

I dont have a repair manual yet for the 800's. Does anyone have pictures of how that Tapered d44 axle is installed? And part numbers of the bearing/race and retainers. I imagine the bearing is pressed onto the axle, correct?

I'd like to take a bag of tools, and if possible, install the axle (at least temporarly) there in his barn, so I can pull the scout onto a trailer. Otherwise, i'll need to take a spare D44 down there and im not feeling that ambitious.

10. George Womack

First things first: Take some of that money you saved and buy an OTC 7394 hub puller. You will need it to work on the wheel bearing and axleshaft. Believe me, nothing else will work for this job. There are several threads about the proper use of this tool. You'll also need a 1 7/16" socket for the hub nut.
    Here are the pertinent pages from the 80/800 service manual:
    003.jpg 004.jpg

Part numbers:
    Rear Dana 44 tapered axle Bearing 3382T Race 3320

The bearing isn't pressed on to the axle shaft; it is just "snapped" on by hand. The bearing and race are installed backwards from the way they are on a Scout II, that is, the race is outboard of the bearing.

11. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Awesome, Gary. Thanks! Reading this brings up another question. Currently, the passengerside axle is completely disassembled. The hub has been removed from the drum, the bearings are not on the axle, the shims...well, I dont know if they are even all still there. I also have a feeling the key is gone, along with the cotter pin.

My next question is this. Are the bolts that hold the backing plate and bearing retainer special? The ones are the scout II are missing a side, what I mean is, they are not totally hex shaped. I have a feeling the nuts and bolts are totally missing.

12. George Womack

Who's Gary?
    The Scout 800 and Scout II backing plate bolts have different part numbers. From looking at my stuff here, the 800 bolts have a head like a rivet, with one side ground down a bit. The Scout II bolts are a hex head bolt with one flat ground down in the same way. The Scout II bolts are 1/2" -20 X
    1 1/4" Grade 8. I can't think of any reason why the two types wouldn't be interchangeable. You could also use regular bolts in that size and grind off one flat.

13. Crockett

Crockett Farmall Cub

Congrats Josh; nice rig!

14. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Sorry, George! I'm not sure who gary is!:cornfused::wacko:
    I'll see what I can come up with. I appreciate your help!
    Thanks, Crockett!

15. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Last week, my friend Scott and I went and got this scout. I installed a new bearing and race in the rear, but the bearing retainer was trashed. Im also missing the key to lock the axle to the hub. So this istall was simply a band aid to get the scout home. While I was installing the rear axle, Scott ran a fuel line into a fresh gallon of gas, and installed a good battery. I pulled the dizzy and spun the oil pump. reinstalled dizzy, and fired it up! This scout runs excellent! I drove it onto the trailer and brought her home.

A few things I have noticed. I thought long and hard about keeping this rear end in the scout. but while I was cleaning the garbage out of the back, I found a ring gear attached to a blown carrier. There is no sign of a pinion gear. Surely people know you have to change both, but then again... So instead investing more money into a retainer, and key, and brakes; i'm just going to use SII Axles.

There is some rust in the driverside quarter. about the size of a tennis ball. While I was pressure washing, I ended up blowing through the rust. that's going to be fun to patch. Also, the fenders have been trimmed, and long shackles added. Im bummed, but I will clean these up, and roll a new lip. I think I can make it look fairly stock. Im going to also get rid of the shackles and find another way to keep the 32's. I like the way it sits.

The only lights that work are the head lights and tail lights and brakes. Turn/hazard/dash/off road/reverse lights are non existent. Also the radio doesn't work. I'll have to investigate that.

Lastly, notice the bottom picture. The lift gate does not close. In this picture, you can see how far it closes on it's own. I have to push it shut and turn the lever to lock it in place. Is this normal? If not, why do you think it's binding that way? Anyone else have this experience?

20160909_182836.jpg 20160909_182849.jpg 20160909_182922.jpg

16. jiman23

jiman23 Farmall Cub

Mine does the same...I've always assumed it was normal.

17. George Womack

18. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King