Bought a 72 scout ii

Discussion in 'Mid-South Binders' started by Kylepj, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Just bought a 72 scout ii with 304... Needs everything. I have never owned a scout or taken on such a big project. Feel free to share thoughts on where to start. image.jpg

2. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Welcome and congrats to your find! I started my project like you, never owned a scout before or took on such a big project. Don't be discouraged, Binderplanet has helped me a lot on answering all my questions. First, you said your scout needs everything....like, motor, transmission, interior? I see from the pic you have a roll-bar. Also, something I would find is your line-setting ticket. Check inside your glove box (if you have one) if its in there. The line setting ticket is the birth certificate for your scout, containing information like, what type of motor, what type of axles, axle ratio, interior options, exterior options, color, etc, etc. Do a search on Binderplanet on "line setting ticket". There are threads on how to get a copy of your line-setting ticket. Post more pics of your find! If you need any help give me a call, eight seven zero four 0 five five two two nine. I'm in Arkansas. Merry Christmas!

3. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Thanks for your reply! the wiring is totally shot tons of splices, they used extension cords, lamp cords and whatever they could find. Most of it goes no where. Someone put on a rochester carb with an adapter plate. The majority of the vacuum hoses have nails capping them off. Ive gotten the motor to turn over by hand, but thats as far as i have gotten. I will check out the glove box for the info you suggested

4. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Do you know what size motor you got? Should be an engine size stamped on the motor....passenger side, underneath the exhaust manifold. Might need to use some brake cleaner and a rag and or wire brush to find it.

5. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

It has the 304

6. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Pics

Attached Files:

7. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

More

Attached Files:

8. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Looks like you got a project on your hands. Take the glove box apart. Look on the back-side. You'll be looking for that line setting ticket.

9. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Took it apart and there is nothing behind there. so far i have got a new battery, battery cables, starter, alternator, fuel pump, and belts. Obviously it needs a complete rewire which i dont think will be that hard for me since my day job mainly consist of wiring low voltage systems. I guess one thing that seems most confusing to me is the different types of ignition systems that ive read about either the holley gold box or pertronix. I have no idea which i have since mine is missing so much. When i got it there was a coil and a distributor never saw a gold box. I guess i just need a suggestion on the best place to start sorting out this mess to get it running. Thanks for your time.

10. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Welcome to the madness! Nice project you have there. First off, if the scout has not run in a year or more, you should do a search here in pre oiling. These ih engines have cam bearings that delaminate when the motor is turned over dry. Besides that, post some up close pics of your dizzy so we can identify it for you. Ez wire has a really nice universal wiring kit for a pretty decent price. The first order of business is to get that beast running. Once it's running, you can find out what it needs right away and start from there. If you can't get it running, then you know where to start. Were happy to help! Post up some more pics! I see your in hot springs area, there are a few ih guys down there. I'm just outside of fayetteville. Welcome!

11. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Pics of dizzy

Attached Files:

12. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Looks to me like it's a holley points dizzy. If you can get a pic of the base area where the dizzy goes into the motor, I can tell you for sure. Definitely points,not gold box or any other electronic type. Could be a prestolite points, but I need to see the base to be sure

13. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Attached Files:

14. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Yep, looks like a holley points to me. Crusty! Rock auto has great prices on gaskets. Shipping can be high if you just order a little. I would probably order all the upper gaskets. Valley pan, intake, valve covers, timing cover and exhaust. If the oil pan is crusty, I'd get that too. These things leak oil after a number of years. Time to get it cleaned up and fresh gaskets. If all the gaskets come from the same wherehouse shipping will be really cheap.

15. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Thanks for the help.. Do you suggest one of these?

Attached Files:

16. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I had a pertronix in my Prestolite Dizzy for years. I also had the flame thrower coil. I never had any issues with it. On the older pertronix, they would burn out if you left the key on. I am pretty sure they have fixed that by now. I installed mine is 2000. Worked fine up until the day I pulled that dizzy last year. It is nice not having to deal with points, but I would get that scout running first. You might find a better way to spend that 100 bucks.

17. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Do i need a resistor? And if so where?

18. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

congratulations on the new project if you need any help hit us up on here and I bet we can help you out.

Arkansas Dave

19. Kylepj

Kylepj Farmall Cub

Arkansas Dave, do you have a number where i can call? Thanks

20. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Yep sure do call me at four seven nine 890 fourty 8 hundred ask for Dave. '

Arkansas Dave