Bollinger E-vehicle

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by geoffva, Sep 20, 2019.

1. geoffva

geoffva Farmall Cub

I only post once in awhile and ran across this video I thought IHC enthusiasts would appreciate.
    Check this out.

Chris Breedlove likes this.
  2. George Womack

George Womack Y-Block King

Very cool, thanks for posting. It's exciting to see this new technology.

3. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I personally like the look of it. It reminds me of the Hummer. Sort of like if an old late 70s early 80s truck and a Hummer had a child. But I wonder if it lacks mass market appeal. I understand Tesla is working on a pickup as well. But theres a question with Teslas as to what kind of a truck they are making. Is it a super light truck made for being a passenger vehicle or is it a proper utility vehicle.

The Bolinger is supposed to have a 5000LB (2.5 TON!) cargo capacity and a 7000lb towing capacity. That seems pretty heavy duty. I can certainly see some places where that would be good. For example, more and more cities are having restrictions on emissions in cities. In Europe there are cities that are taxing vehicles with emissions when used in certain areas. I could see this used to transport heavy equipment and supplies to a construction site in such a city. Adding to the contract that your vehicle that you deliver equipment and supplies in might score you some green points in a bid, even though practically speaking, its a drop in the bucket compared to the other environmental impact construction creates. (Making concrete for example is very energy intensive and wooden beams obviously come from trees) But it looks good on paper. The big problem I see is that they say that the blocky design is because of the way they make them. They are not using any stamped parts. That to me says its not a real competitor in the market. Stamped parts are expensive to design and to start manufacturing, but the marginal cost of stamped parts is very cheap. They will be able to deliver the first few vehciles for less total investment than for example, Tesla did, but marginal cost of the vehicles will be a significant fraction of the cost of the prototype. Because every vehicle will BE a handmade prototype.

I may be wrong, and they may have done all the optimization and computer simulations needed to make it have an amazing drag coefficient, but just eyeballing the design I think that their trucks performance will suffer at highway speeds. Its going to have a terrible drag coefficient. Even a large heavy vehicle can recover much of he energy needed to get it up to speed when it brakes but anything lost to drag is just gone, which means a larger battery is needed and drives the cost up, the weight up and the range down.

But it looks awesome!

Ive always thought that putting a snap on vinyl back over a pickup truck to give you kamm back sort of shape should reduce drag considerably when your not hauling stuff . The idea would be to design the bed so it tapers in a bit at the back, and then put the snaps around the perimeter of the bed and the cab, probably with two spots on the roof line and two on the bed to anchor a pair of steel cables and pull them tight to support the cover. You could even have zip up sides to load small stuff in. That plus the mid-gate design like they use in the video , but with a more optimized shape could probably net you a reasonably low drag coefficient.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    tinker likes this.
  4. Chris Breedlove

Chris Breedlove Farmall Cub

I'm wondering when someone is going to do an all electric conversion on a Scout or Scout II. Would be nice. Parts are expensive, however.

5. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets