Black Vs White face Gauges

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Hutch, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

After resolving my starting problem, I realize I need to be able to better monitor my systems. Since I am already running an aux. oil pressure gauge and my ammeter and temp gauge seem shot, I am looking to upgrade to round gauges. May take some time, but figured I'd start asking questions now. Searched a bunch and it looks like most folks are going white faced gauges, which are easier to read at night, any othr reasons? Opinions, preferences? Thanks.

2. samcorrea

samcorrea Farmall Cub

Ryan, sounds like you figured out your prob. I have black faced autometer gauges, work well, i like the way the faces blend in during the day and they are great for night driving as well.

A bit has changed since this photo but shows the black gauges and bright needles.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  3. ozzy

ozzy Farmall Cub

Hi Hutch,
    I have a set in my car that are white face.
    However at night, I can adjust the back light to blue, green, black or white.
    At night I like the black face with the white letters... I hope this helps.
    Gordon

4. JerryD

JerryD High Wheeler

I think most people go with white face just to be different. As far as readability goes, white face gauges with black lettering and standard incandescent lighting will be more difficult to read due to the fact that the broad expanse of white will have a "washout" effect when compared to a black face guage w/white letters under the same conditions. Ever look at older military aircraft? Black face, white letters and white/red lighting. If it's good enough for a P-51, it's good enough for me. ;)

Having said all that, I do like the look of white face gauges. :D

5. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Haha, excellent point about the military aircraft!

Thanks for the input guys.

6. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

I used black faced guages from Stewart Warner for mine. I used the green bulb cover for lighting. They are easy to read both at night and in the day time.

Attached Files:

7. Rgilpin

Rgilpin Farmall Cub

I put the white overlays found on Ebay on my gauges and I wouldn't ever go back to the black ones! They are much easier to read day OR night!! Just my 2 cents...

8. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

*cracklely cb voice, Tim Potter your aircraft is clear for takeoff on runway 1, please taxi to runway 1* :rolleyes: :p looks good, what ya got there for gauges?

9. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

L-R water temp., oil pres., volt, fuel, vacuum,tach,speedo,fuel/air ratio

10. ceswanson

ceswanson Farmall Cub

Tim,

I was wondering about your dash layout. Did you put the tach and speedo both to the right of the steering column to avoid excessive cutting behind the dash? Or so that you could fit all 8 gauges? I'm starting to think about building a dash with 8 gauges (2 @ 3 3/8" & 6 @ 2 1/16") and keep the radio cut-out. But I'd prefer the "balanced" look splitting the tach and the speedo with the steering column. Thanks.

Charles

11. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

Re: Black Vs White face Guages

Charles,
    Yes I didn't want to cut so much out of the steering column support and that was the 1st consideration. Others have mentioned the cutting required and I wanted to avoid significant carnage. I approached this as a modification that could be reversible in the future if desired. I began this process with a clear acrylic mock up so I could see what cutting would be necessary prior to final placement of the guages. As it was, there was still some cutting required on the right side but not very much at all. I Know that my arrangement being asymmetrical looks out of balance at first but it is very practical for my driving techniques. Since I use the vacuum gage as my performance guide, having it right in front of me is helpful, and the speedo and tach are highly visible as well. From my seating position all of the guages are easily viewed at a glance. The guage sizes you mentioned are the ones I chose and fitting them in the space was not difficult to do. Also I did not loose the stock radio location as you mentioned.

12. Jim Grammer

Jim Grammer Editor at large Staff Member Moderator

After living with this for a bit, I wouldn't change a thing about the layout or gauge selection:

[​IMG]

The charge indicator light(lower left) has been swapped out for a red parts store light that matches the style of the blue high beam indicator.

Guess I got lucky for a first try.

13. scouting II's

scouting II's High Wheeler

I went with white gauges. I purchased the whole kit from D&C. They have the green booties over the bulbs that make it glow green at night. I like the contrast white on black back.

Attached Files:

14. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Scouting II's -
    I've seen yours in Damians dash thread. Love how the carbon fiber sticker looks. What is your indicator light set up? I assume (top to bottom) turn, hazard, high beam/brake?

15. scouting II's

scouting II's High Wheeler

You guessed it. Check out sticker city.com lots of variations on the carbon fiber sticker. The sticker is actually a little thicker then duct tape and will peel off easily. They also give it a 10 year warranty.