biodiesel

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by Gottbetter, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

Will my scout run on biodiesel with out adjusting the injection pump? the PO changed the fuel lines and claims he was running biodiesel, but I have read that you need to do other things to run BD.

2. pri

pri High Wheeler

Yes, you can run it on biodiesel. You really don't need to adjust anything on the injection pump. Though some people say that advancing it a degree or two will make it run better, but it is not necessary to do it.

The main thing is to make sure that all fuel lines are bio resistant and that your fuel tank isn't galvanized on the inside. Also, a good thing to do is to put an extra fuel filter before the lift pump in a space where it is easy to change. Biodiesel is an extremely good solvent and it will dissolve all sorts of things in the fuel system, so an easy to change pre filter is a good thing to have.

Good luck!!

Paul

3. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

I have the stock 19gal tank. is that galvinized?

4. pri

pri High Wheeler

Actually I don't know. The stock tank in my Travelall wasn't, but that's no guarantee...

Paul

5. waymores binder

waymores binder Farmall Cub

I picked up some fryer grease it was Sysco ztf meaning zero trans fatty acids.I filtered it through resturant filters. I then mixed #2 diesel fuel to 50%.I used it in my powerstroke my 88 7.3 litre and my John Deere 4010.All went well no noticable power loss. I went back to 100% diesel for the winter,my powerstroke became hard starting.I pulled out the injectors most of orings sealing fuel and oil were shrunk and blistered. I replaced with vitron orings.They are supposed to resist biodiesel.I noticed some coking on the injector tips.Has anyone else blended 50/50 with diesel and had similar problems.

6. austinwa81

austinwa81 Farmall Cub

Mixing waste vegetable oil (WVO) and diesel in any amount does not constitute biodiesel. Although, biodiesel can be produced from waste vegetable oil, some very specific chemistry has to take place for that to happen. Refer to journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.htm for more information on that. It is possible to use WVO that has been filtered several times, but that requires some modifications to your existing diesel engine and a separate fuel tank. Basically, you will have to start your vehicle on diesel or biodiesel and then, after sufficient warming of the engine, you can switch to running on straight WVO. You will then have to switch back to diesel/biodiesel before shutting down the engine. I have a friend who recently drove from Nashville, TN to PA on less than a few gallons of diesel because he was able to use WVO most of the trip.

7. pri

pri High Wheeler

Making biodiesel from WVO isn't very hard. The secret is something called titration, which basically is a way to measure how much free fatty acids are present in the WVO and thus dictating how much lye to use. The whole process of making biodiesel is pretty simple.
    Please also note that the website mentioned in the above post contains many pieces of misinformation and also some pretty horrible errors.
    For a good and accurate tutorial on biodiesel go to: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/

When running on pure WVO please note that just filtering the oil several times may not be enough. Any water content in the oil may cause harm to the injection pump. You don't need to ask me how I know... De-watering WVO is mandatory before using it.

Paul

8. Stephen Byrd

Stephen Byrd Farmall Cub

I have been running 100% (unblended) biodiesel in my $60k Duramax truck for years now with no problems.

Some points:

WVO is not Biodiesel - Very important and often mistaken

You do need to use the appropriate resistant fuel lines and seals with BioD

100% BioD starts to gell at 40f so go to a blend or back to dino diesel during the cold months.

ANY diesel motor with the proper fuel lines and seals can run BioD. All vehicles made after '94 use the proper material

Yes it will clean out your tank and fuel system of the crud that regular diesel will leave behind. Either carry a few extra filters for your first couple of tanks, or run a secondary filter like the CAT 2 micron filter I use. (easy and cheap to build the same setup for yourself)

BioD has about 10% less energy per part as dino diesel so on heavy vehicles you may see a slight mileage drop (some cars actually see an increase due to the following). On the flip side it also provides MUCH more lubricity than dino diesel so your injector pump and injectors will last longer esp since your old diesel is not designed to run on the new fed mandated ULSD now on every pump

Hope this helps, there is a TTTOOONNNN of info out on the web... Happy surfing.

9. Stephen Byrd

Stephen Byrd Farmall Cub

I really hope you didn't have a "steam engine" effect or burn up your injectors with water in your WVO... thats definitely not fun or cheap!!!

10. pri

pri High Wheeler

Injectors were okay.. Injection pump seized and pump drive shaft snapped. Not fun and not cheap as you said. Liberated me of about $800 plus a couple of hours work. :thumbs down:

Paul

11. Stephen Byrd

Stephen Byrd Farmall Cub

Sorry to hear about that... Could have been worse though.

12. brotella

brotella Guest

I was talking to someone with a 7.3 powerstroke Ford. He said in the summer he mixes SVO with diesel 50/50. He said the truck is not modified and it works great.

Anyone else tried this?

13. pri

pri High Wheeler

Yep, and it works really good too. As long as the SVO is free of water.
    The 7.3 has the same rotary style injection pump as the GM 6.2, hence the same weakness when it comes to contaminated fuel. I've blown two of them...

You can even go further and try a 75% SVO 25% diesel blend. It should be ok in the summer. I know a couple of guys that are running a 95% SVO and 5% gasoline mix and it works very good. The gas seems to thin out the VO much better than diesel does. But that is on engines with in-line injection pumps, Bosch style. These IPs are much more stout and handle bad fuel much better.

Paul

14. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

I've been running BioDiesel for about a year now (B99) and I need to change my fuel lines. Does anyone make a kit for replacing the lines into the fitler and injection pump? I haven't had any problems but I would like to replace them before I do.

15. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

Any hydraulic hose shop should be able to help you out, My guy has a steel-braided hose with teflon center, works very well, but not cheap. Lasts forever!

16. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

thanks. fixed!