Big six axle swap questions

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by mr.blub.blubs142, Apr 12, 2018.

1. mr.blub.blubs142

mr.blub.blubs142 Farmall Cub

I have a 64 c1300 dually with big six wheels. I’m looking to ditch them just because I don’t want to have to mess with the lock ring rims. I’ve thought about custom wheels or adapters but due to lack of brake parts available for big six (plus high price for what is available) an axle swap seems like a better deal. I currently can get a killer deal on a complete 74 200 dually truck. My question is whether anyone has swapped newer IH axles into an older IH. Do they fit properly? Anything specific that needs attention? I found plenty about swapping non-IH axles, but with the deal I can get, I’d rather just do newer IH axles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

I swapped 71 (or 72, or 73) D-series 2wd single-wheel axles into my '68 1200 pickup. Straight bolt-in swap. I would expect the same for 1300 dually... Brake shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware is readily available for the D-series axles, but drums are not. I don't know if the 74/75 axles are different than the 69-73 D-series axles. The 200 may be IFS (and disk front brakes), and not a straight axle like your C-series 1300. Good Luck!

3. mr.blub.blubs142

mr.blub.blubs142 Farmall Cub

Straight bolt in swap was what I was hoping to hear! I have a complete 73 driveline as well, though i don’t currently have access to it (its complicated). I haven’t looked at the 74 in person yet so I’m unsure on the front as well. With my truck being 2wd, front isn’t so much a swap issue as rear could be though. I’ll make it work. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 46binder

46binder Binder Driver

I had a 72 travelall that was 2wd, and at sometime someone converted it to 4. Unfortunately it was swapped to big 6 closed knuckle. So I would think it would swap backwards.