Big 6 rim Tube question, which ones?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BarneyG, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM.

1. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

Getting some new rubber on the front of my 2wd '67 1200b with the 16" big 6 split lock ring wheels. The current fronts are getting With a bit of searching I found a truck center that will do the work without issue and deal with the lock ring for me, but they are having me source the tire/tube/flaps. They could order them from Coker but I would have to pay their upcharge fee's to have them do it. Guy was nice and told me to do it instead, and not pay them per wheel.
    But having never sourced these before I had no idea what to get for tubes. I know they are 700x16, 5.5 wide, tires (same as on it now), but what tubes do they use? The ones on the truck have 90 degree angle stems so theycome out of the rim.
    Is this what is used?
    https://www.cokertire.com/700-750-15-16-tube-tr440-offset-bent-metal-stem.html
    I guess they bend them on install(?)
    I assume these are the flaps (please advise): https://www.cokertire.com/accessories/tubes/tube-liners/flaps/16-x-7-flap.html

Thanks.

2. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I just read the description for the tube flaps. It says :
    "This is a 16 x 7 inch flap. A tube liner is an excellent way to extend the life and performance of an inner tube. Tube liners, also known as tube flaps or tube boots and are used to protect tubes from wear, heat, and other irregularities in the rims. Typically used on split rims, two-piece rims or vehicles with wood spoke wheels. These flaps are designed with high quality rubber, made for durability and are available in many sizes. We recommend new tube liners when replacing tires. Speak to a Tire Expert for assistance with your order." And there is a link there. Im honestly NOT trying to be a smartass. Im being totally serious, I didnt notice it was a hyperlink the first time I read it. I'd click that link and ask them what you need.

3. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

LOL, fair enough. Yeah they don't have that link showing with the normal underlining so I didn't notice it either. I'll try it out, I figure I'll get back a less than helpful answer once I tell them it is for a binder. :dig:
    If anyone has gotten them before I'd love to know the stem type, if nothing else it'll be 'on record' in the forums.

4. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

I decided to call Coker instead so I could get a quicker answer. Their guess based on the description I gave (while laying under my truck with a tape) is that I should be using a tube with a TR150 stem, which they don't sell in a 16". Sigh.
    I googled around and found this, which sure seems to like a reasonable fit: https://www.tireinnertube.com/16-in...inner-tube-tr150-stem-for-old-split-rims.html
    I love how the specify "for old split rims". Guess they don't fit "new split rims".

5. wfdstation42

wfdstation42 Farmall Cub

6. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

Thanks, seems like the 440 and 150 are pretty similar to each other. Some of the 440's I see are the metal/brass tubes (without the rubber on the outside) that are pre-bent on a 90. Others say they can be bent with a couple of wrenches.
    Most of the sites say a 150 comes straight and I haven't seen one without rubber on it. The 150 can then be bent by hand to fit. So might be a bit softer or thinner metal in them.
    Guess I'll flip a coin and pick one, seem to be basically the same price at the 16" size. I'll post back after install so the thread will be updated with what I find out.

7. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Give these people a call.
    https://www.universaltire.com/tubes-and-flaps/tubes1016.html

I don’t remember what mine are but they do have a bent brass stem. I’d prefer the stem be a little longer as they can be hard to fill. I’ll get a measurement off one tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stroker3 likes this.
  8. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

It's been years but whenever we needed a tube they had the bent stem and yes, the length matters as well . There was a few times we had to settle and just add stem extenders . Never a problem really but .....

9. wfdstation42

wfdstation42 Farmall Cub

Mine were pre-bent, I would be worried about trying to bend the straight ones without crushing the tube.

10. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

Know that if you have radial tires you must use radial rated tubes and flaps.
    Coker Tire didn’t know there was a difference!
    I used Hanco tubes and flaps inside Firestone Destination A/Ts

11. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

Thanks all. I ordered 2 ply tires and a couple of the 150 tubes and if course flaps. Should all be here by weeks end. Might be able to mount them in Friday if all goes right with shipping. I will update once I get them mounted (or at least try to mount them).