better alternator for sd 33t powered international scouts

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by rolinslow, Aug 18, 2012.

1. peterbozeman

peterbozeman Farmall Cub

Hi, Shades,
    Thanks for the heads up. Do you happen to know what the Scout wire is labeled that I should add the shunt to? Also, would a shut connect to the positive or negative battery terminal?
    Thank you,
    Peter

2. shades

shades Farmall Cub

The idea is to siphon off some of the 70 amps coming out of your new high-powered alternator.
    With a stock alternator the alternator output goes thru your dash mounted amp gauge.
    You want to avoid sending all 70 amps to your dash gauge, so run a second wire off alternator's positive output terminal and go directly to the battery.

If you send all 70 amps to your dash gauge it will PEG to the right , and could heat up the wire going to the dash gauge.

I can take pictures if this does not make sense.

Jon aka Shades in Colorado

jeff campbell likes this.
  3. Scoutboy55

Scoutboy55 Farmall Cub

Just so we're all on the same page, the above answer is completely inaccurate. The truck's electrical system only draws as much current as it needs from the battery/alternator. A higher amp alternator has the ability to cook the stock ammeter, but its only when the load has surpassed 50 or so amps, and even then there is some slush. 60-70 amps for a brief time (a few min) should be fine. The ammeter needle will only move if there is a load on the alternator (+ direction) or if the truck is drawing more current than the battery/alternator can supply (- direction). The higher the load (like charging a dead battery) the farther the needle will go positive. It will never peg positive simply because a higher amp alternator has been installed.
    If you're thoughtful about the loads you put on the truck's system, there is really no inherent danger with a stock ammeter. I've been running a 100 amp one for 10 years without any issues.
    Hope this helps.

4. shades

shades Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info.
    Now you have me worried since I do see my needle move to the right after startup at times. I have a shunt from alternator to battery. Maybe I need to do some investigating. I do have several years with this alternator/vacuum pump with no issues.