better alternator for sd 33t powered international scouts

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by rolinslow, Aug 18, 2012.

1. rolinslow

rolinslow Farmall Cub

i have an international scout with the sd 33t and i am having alternator issues. it is working correctly but it is only about a 30 or so amp unit, which is all the scout in stock form really needs, but i am opperating a winch, radio, and off road lights and its stressing the unit. since it has the vacume pump piggy backed it limits what you can use as a replacement, and stock units are unavailble. i know there are options out there and am looking forward to seeing what others have done thanks.

2. Drifter

Drifter Farmall Cub

There is some 200 amp Chevy alt on eBay for 150-180 bucks which should fit with mild modification.

3. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

The only thing a Scout uses the vacuum for is power brakes. IF you are willing to modify your Scout you can hydro boost your brakes and with some bracket mofication you can uses just about any alternator you wish.

I have personally have never done the coversion on a Scout but following Bill usn set up it was eaasy and did it in a day on a Travelall.

I might add he directions are very easy to followand understand.

4. Drifter

Drifter Farmall Cub

Or also on eBay there is vw electric vacuum pump for 50-60 bucks. I've heard a lot of good thing about them. I'm actually going to get one for my scout, I'm just not that far with it to get it.

dgregg likes this.
  5. RD Durham

RD Durham High Wheeler

Try this link:

Delco CS130 Alternator Installation

As noted the Scout II diesel used the vacuum pump on the back of the stock alternator so you will need to convert to hydraboost Chevy brakes or come up with an appropriate electric vacuum pump.

Bill Hamilton (BillUSN1) has a good write up on converting the hydraboost brakes, and that would be my choice also.

Near "bolt-on" Hydra-Boost brakes

6. JohnIsaac

JohnIsaac Farmall Cub

There is some 200 amp Chevy alt on eBay for 150-180 bucks which should fit with mild modification.

7. JMattJ

JMattJ Farmall Cub

I found a rebuilt, internally regulated 12V 70A Isuzu NPR alternator with vacuum pump on eBay. I had to grind down my alternator bracket using a metal cutting blade on my miter saw.
    I also had to take a little off the aluminum on the alternator body. It was a tight fit but it works awesome.

Search National Quick Start Sales Part # C2030 - Japanese Round Alternator Wiring Harness Repair PigTail Round Plug with Butt Connector 3 or 4 Female Terminals.

This is the harness you'll need to wire it in.

Attached Files:

peterbozeman likes this.
  8. chris w

chris w Farmall Cub

On my old terra with the sd33t, i used a vac. Pump from a 6.9l ford. I made a bracket the bolted to the outside of the ac compressor.(the unused mounting holes) sat above the compressor and hoses. I used a belt that drove off of the unused groove in a 2 groove compressor clutch. The brakes never worked so good. Then i could run a high amp delco or whatever i wanted. Plus it was cheap and easy.

9. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Matt,

I have a question for you. Do you think the vacuum pump shaft could be used to drive a power steering pump?

Note this is not for a Scout.

10. JMattJ

JMattJ Farmall Cub

I don't see why not, the hard part would be finding a way to couple the shafts.

11. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

I have a high amp alternator from a Chevy and a vac boost for the brakes and it works great. The pump is mounted on the upper left fender and works great. It's a
    Title pound when running but it's ok. Will post a picture of it if you like.

12. rolinslow

rolinslow Farmall Cub

Title pound? Would like to see pics. I haven't done any mods yet, but plan to do something soon. It's almost deer season :gun_bandana: and will most likley need the winch a few times

13. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

I hate autocorrect when your not paying attention....

I meant its a little loud and sounds like a small air compressor when running...

My scout is doing deer duty here the carolinas... 2 down 10 to go.

Will post a pic tomorrow and put it in my album under my profile. Will also get a manufacturer model too.

14. 540fan

540fan Farmall Cub

Here the vacuum assist set up.

Attached Files:

15. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

Misterfixit on here put up a how-to way to upgrade the stock alternator allowing it to put out something like 60 amps which is a good bit more than the weenie 37 amps it currently does. You could try a search or PM him for more.

16. Devin

Devin Farmall Cub

rolinslow, while I don't have the same sort of trouble with an anemic output that you are describing, I've entertained a few alternator changes before and completed one. The C-130/CS-130 or 10/12SI mod is available, as long as you solve the vacuum problem. Advantage is the availability of an alternator at any store you'd likely visit in the future, the Disadvantage is the work required to make it work. I ran into a couple of issues having to wire it correctly for use (including eliminating the ammeter from the wiring) and watching the low-voltage light come on at idle at every stoplight.

I'm currently looking for a direct-swap (with and without vacuum pump). Can you find and give me your generator's part number from any identification plate? If you have have it out of your truck, can you also take a few snapshots of it?

17. peterbozeman

peterbozeman Farmall Cub

Hi, Matt,

Just curious if you feel that this vacuum pump was an improvement over stock? I am not looking to go the Hydra-boost route for maximum braking power. Just looking for a little bit more umph in the brakes than I currently have with stock.

Thanks,
    Peter

18. JMattJ

JMattJ Farmall Cub

It has been 100% reliable for me ever since I installed it, and the braking power is just as good as my other, more modern vehicles.

19. peterbozeman

peterbozeman Farmall Cub

Hi, Matt,
    What changes did you have to make to the wiring installing this alternator. I finally picked one up and am getting ready to install. Since this has an Internal voltage regulator do you remove the stock external one? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

20. shades

shades Farmall Cub

I also installed the Izuza alternator that includes a vaccum pump.
    Works great on my 1980 IH traveler with the SD33t.
    Brakes are great.

YOU MUST::::::

add a shunt so all 70 amps do not go thru your dashboard alt gauge.
    Could cause a fire.
    Pull some amps off the main out direct to the battery.

Jon in Colorado aka Shades