Best hoses to run

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by BioTex, May 27, 2011.

1. BioTex

BioTex High Wheeler

I'm getting ready to replace the rubber hoses on my SD33 so they will be compatible with B100, and am wondering what hose is going to last longer that the stuff I got from NAP that is supposed to be compatible but really isn't.

I don't want to pay $12/ft either. There must be something affordable that works besides the expensive stuff isn't there?

2. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

Shop around for sae 30R9 hose, Gates makes some. Try autozone or eBay. For long runs I use aluminum tube, it's cheap. Or you can get nylon in SS braid for$$
    Danny

3. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

This hose is also called "fuel injection hose", at least that's what the counter monkey's know it as... Should be around $6 a foot, will last forever. I've been plumbing systems with air brake hose (same stuff IH used) lately, we'll have to see how that pans out. It's pretty cheap at truck dealers ($~1.00 a foot) and really easy to work with. The aluminum tubing is my next favorite.

4. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

EBay-search biodiesel or WVO hose.
    It's the fuel injection hose rated to 100psi.
    I got it cheaper then going to AZ.

5. q_mech

q_mech Farmall Cub

6. q_mech

q_mech Farmall Cub

I'm going to answer my own post, because I just came across this:

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/fuelfactsheets/Materials_Compatibility.pdf

...and I quote, "Natural or nitrile rubber compounds, polypropylene, polyvinyl, and Tygon materials are particularly vulnerable."

The hose in the ebay link above states that it is composed of "NBR with a thermoplastic barrier"

NBR would be Nitrile Butadiene Rubber, also known as nitrile rubber. This hose is singled out as being especially degraded by contact with biodiesel. Just goes to show that you can't trust anything on ebay outright. Rats; I was liking the price, too...

7. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

Where a metal tubing is not practical I have settled on the nylon airbrake line for long runs - supply from tank and return - and 5/16" gates fuel injection hose for connections and short runs. I slide the F.I. hose over the end of the nylon line 6-10" and use two hose clamps a couple inches apart. So there is a short length of pricey rubber composite hose at each end of the nylon line. I have had no problems with junctions done in this way. However, I originally used plain fuel line rubber for the connections and it did not last very long. The fuel injection line has an inner layer of blue synthetic rubber that is very different. Time will tell how it holds up.

-D