bench seat armrest

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Greg Cejka, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

I am in the middle of redoing my front seat and wanted to add an armrest the the middle that can be folded up like a modern bench seat in a pickup. Has anyone ever done this or am I just going to have to make it up as I go?

on an unrelated note which master do i need for disc disc breaks on my 78 scout ii? I know its one of the early corvette ones but Im not sure which. I was just going to use my original but its leaking so since I have to replace it I might as well get the right one.

2. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

On the seat,its not going to be something that's easy,new seats are mostly solid form sprayed foam.Your bench (if original scout bench) is springs with 1 inch foam,or foam with springs in it.Might be easier to make an armrest type cushion that you seat belt in.I reupholster seats,and I wouldn't try it with factory seat by cutting into it.

3. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

I am reupholstering it and added an inch to the base and some bolsters. I was planning on doing the same for the backs and not add the extra inch and bolster where the armrest would be so it doesn't stick too far out when up. I hadn't considered removing any original foam from the area.

4. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I would just make a center console that attaches with straps and the middle seatbelt, probably from plywood, with cupholders. The padded armrest would be part of that. I have considered doing this for a while.

5. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

You could get a truck center console and reupholster it to match. One attachment option could be putting in grommets into the existing seat with a hole carved out to the seat base or floor where an attachment point could be made. You would then have to have matching attachment tubing or similar fabricated for the console. This would give you a hard mount for the console and it would be removable. Some thought and fabrication would be required. I might add a center console to my Scout 800 but that’s a lot easier job.

Don B

6. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

that might be easier than my original idea to hinge off the same hinge point that the seat folds foreword on

7. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

Use an early 70s corvette master cylinder with 1-1/8 diameter orifice used on power disc brake option. Don’t use late 70s version. Rod is too short. Will fit perfect with booster.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...040971,brake+&+wheel+hub,master+cylinder,1836

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019