Belltown Build - 1974 Scout II

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Belltownbikes, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Belltownbikes

Belltownbikes Farmall Cub

Thanks Rotten - I could take the measurements no problem, but I don't think they'd be worth anything: our chassis is on flat tires on skates and I wouldn't trust any of my dims. Is there another way to get you the measurements you need? Are you looking for relative heights of the tub mounts? Shoot JRC55 a message - I'd bet he'd be able to give you good beta. If you still need the dims when we have some tires and wheels on the Scout I'd be happy to get the measurements. Good day - Bob

2. Belltownbikes

We spent most of the weekend on another shop improvement pause - this time insulating the ceiling on half of the garage and hanging a tarp curtain to contain a little heat. Came out pretty good, and we enjoyed comfortable working on Sunday afternoon to get a couple of things done.

We installed the fuel pump and fuel line - but I think we are going to have to redo the fuel line - we brought the front end up through and existing slot in the frame which seemed like a great idea, but I think that the front inner fender is going to interfere with our plan. No biggie - we will just re-fish the line. Or maybe run it exterior of the frame. You can also see our sweet aluminum heat shield installed over the muffler here.

IMG_2803.JPG.png

We also got the brake lines in the rear run. Just left them long in front. The boy is going to design and 3d print some cool standoffs so that they will be secured to the axle. Also ran the wires forward for fuel pump and level sensor. They'll get loomed up with the rest of the tail section wiring at some point in the future.

IMG_2804.JPG.png

Happy Festivus! Bob & Finn

Jrc55 and tim vaughan like this.
  3. 3Duckdaddy

3Duckdaddy Farmall Cub

This build is great! I keep checking back every day. The pace you guys are setting is awesome. I'm still in the head scratching phase. Keep up the good work.

tim vaughan likes this.
  4. rotten

rotten Farmall Cub

Thanks and Merry Christmas. The relative heights of the tub mounts is exactly what I'm looking looking for, I'm worried my frame is bowed. I'll hit him up and see what he says.

5. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Bob and Finn,
    you guys are really moving along! Looks good.

JJ in TN

tim vaughan likes this.
  6. Belltownbikes

Over the holidaze we managed to squeeze some Scout work in. We put in a ceiling on one of the garage bays so we can block it off and heat things up. That helped a lot and our little electric heater can keep us comfortable now. We are working on a better heating solution for the future - but for this winter we are good. We got the tub back on the chassis - hopefully that is where it stays for now. I didn't snap any pics of that, but you know what that looks like.

We've got the pedal structure and a couple of the pedals in - all powdercoated and looking sweet.

Then we started in on the wiring. Frist up is the engine harness and our Megasquirt. As we showed above it took some studying to figure that out. We tracked down the pinout diagrams for all of the 4.0 sensors and coordinated those with the necessary inputs/outputs on the Magasquirt. Not hard, but detailed work. First, we put the dash panel in to give us an idea of where to put things. I think that we are going to give up our glove box to house the computer and the chassis wiring fuse panel too.

IMG_2810.JPG.png

This also gave us a chance to look at the dash and figure out what to do with that. We are going with simple gauges: Tach, Speedo and fuel tank level. Anything else we want to display can be via the Megasquirt: we can display on a cell phone or other digital device - we would keep that hidden and will probably wire in a couple of idiot lights. I think we will go with the aluminium gauge-cover panel to save us some time. We also have to figure out what to do with the dash pad - ours is not too bad but does have a couple of cracks. I have to look into repairing those and then covering it with something. We'd really like some sort of tan leather-look vinyl. We will see what we get...

Then we weeded the MS harness - we have a lot of left over inputs/outputs - ours is a very simple installation. Fed the wires to their approximate locations and started hooking up the various sensors.

IMG_2813.JPG.png

That is the fuel line sitting there in that coil. We have to get it landed once we get the inner fender done and painted.

IMG_2814.JPG.png

I think the decision to go with the MS was a good one: it requires you to know where every sensor is and what they do. This is so valuable for Finn - a real detailed understanding of how an engine works. For me too! And we are just getting started: further along we will have to us the Tuner Studio software to identify and calibrate each one. Tell the computer where the crank and cam are, etc. Then we get to tune everything via a laptop. Luckily the MS has been around long enough that we can start with a "caned" fuel/spark/air basemap and adjust from there to suit our driving style. We can even have a second map available at the flick of a switch - perhaps we'd want to have the engine rev-limited or the vehicle speed-limited if a big sister wanted to borrow the scout.

IMG_2816.JPG.png

All of this under dash work is going to complicate our painting - but as we do not have an adequately heated garage we can't do the painting now. And progress can't just halt for the winter. Up under the dash and the foot wells will remain black. and we will have a lot of plastic and tape to use to keep the bodywork dust and paint off our electronics.

7. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Love the build quality
    :wrenching::dig:

Belltownbikes likes this.
  8. Belltownbikes

So a little more - my computer decided I was done with that post! At the end of the day we had our engine harness pretty much done. We harvested the connectors off of the harness that came with the engine and for some reason the crank position and throttle position sensor connectors were gone. We will loom everything up nice once we confirm the wiring is correct.

IMG_2818.JPG.png

In other news we got a great score on bucket seats. I would have loved to go the corbeau route, but we spent our seat money on the MS! Not really. Anyway I was cruising the online market places looking for VW buckets: I daily drive a VW GTI and the seats are fantastic. I came upon an ad for 2 leather GTI buckets in good shape and not a bad price. When I looked into the seller I realized it was a buddy of mine and texted him directly. I got the 2 buckets for $100 and he also had another set of Audi TT buckets for another $100. The Audi seats will go into that '58 once we get to that. They will get the neoprene seat covers and should work perfectly.

IMG_2811.JPG.png

There's a fifth seat up there and it's in bad condition, but he brought it down figuring we could use it for mock up purposes. What a guy!

Next up is more wiring: finish the engine harness and then work on the chassis harness. We will do the charging/ignition circuits first so we can start marching towards engine start. Meanwhile we are sandblasting and powder coating all of the little brackets and such. Lucky for us we have a great relationship with our local PC guy - he does all of our bicycle frames. He does production runs of lots of things in "resto black" which is kind of a satin black. As long as I bring the parts sandblasted and ready to go he throws them in with the production runs and the cost to us is quite affordable!

Thanks for looking! Bob & Finn

Jrc55, scout2000 and 800bman like this.
  9. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I’ve been working on German cars for 15 years, they make nice seats! And that’s about it lol

tim vaughan and scout2000 like this.
  10. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Great find on those seats !

tim vaughan and 800bman like this.
  11. Sean friesen

Sean friesen Farmall Cub

The rest of their stuff is nice when it works. Lol.

tim vaughan likes this.
  12. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

exactly!

13. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

Man, things are coming together fast now. You'll be on to the next project in no time.

800bman likes this.
  14. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Looks good! Terrific attention to detail. I enjoy wiring. I find it therapeutic!

Nice score on the seats. The BMW E46 vert seats are nice as they have the integrated shoulder belt.

800bman and scout2000 like this.
  15. rotten

rotten Farmall Cub

Builds coming along nice, I'm interested in how the MS works out for you since I've been looking into efi options. Buddies are great, that's how I ended up with a grand wagoneer.

Belltownbikes likes this.
  16. Belltownbikes

Mr Kenmore, you would have been very relaxed if you came and visited this weekend! Lots of wiring. I like it too, and it is a nice change from the fabrication side of things. B

MrKenmore likes this.
  17. Belltownbikes

So this weekend we were pretty productive: we got the MS completely wired except for TPS, wide band O2 and CrkPS - still waiting on connectors for those. We got the painless harness in and routed, but no connections made yet. We got everything mounted in what used to be the glove box: MS computer and relay board, the chassis fuse block and also a Blue Sea fuse block which is handling the fused switched 12V distribution on one side and the non-fused 5V sensor power on what is normally the ground wire landing (we have a pretty good notebook of what is what so that someone can make heads or tails of it in the future).

Towards the beginning, You can see a coil of unused MS input and outputs. We also have another group of MS IOs that are "maybes": logic outputs to run electric fan relays and datalogging inputs, table switch inputs, etc.
    IMG_2822.JPG.png

Looking into the glove box at the end of the day:

IMG_2825.JPG.png

Still lots more wiring to do, of course. We have to complete the ignition/starting/charging part of the painless harness. But then we will be plug in in the computer and start marching towards getting the engine started. Of course to do that we have to install the radiator, and to do that we have to install the inner fender(s) and to do that we have to figure out our battery mounting (the batt is going on the PS) and cold air intake placement........

Right now I'm just stumped trying to figure out which alternator field wire is which on the jeep alternator. You'd think that wouldn't be impossible...

Anyway - good day and thanks for looking. B&F

Jrc55, supercrouton and oneof3k like this.
  18. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Very nice! Definitely can't wait for start up.

19. Belltownbikes

The MS is a cool piece. For us the concept works for a number of reasons: we get to learn a lot about exactly what makes a modern engine run. We didn't get the computer with the engine, so we needed a computer: we could have just purchased a jeep computer, but we would have had to address all of the extra stuff in a stock Jeep computer that we do not have like air bag inputs and pollution control inputs, etc. Here in CT because of the age of the vehicle we are exempt from smog so legally we could use the MS. We get to experiment with the tune of the engine - again more towards the learning end. Finally, the engine including head work and new injectors and the MS was less expensive than installing one of the popular EFI retrofits onto the 258. You have to have the stomach to install a jeep engine in the scout to make that work though.

I'll be sure to document our MS experiences here of course. B

Sean friesen likes this.
  20. Belltownbikes

I love powdercoating! Good box from Jeff Jackson. All cleaned up and ready to go in...now we just have to get a fender ready to receive it!
    IMG_2827.JPG.png