Belltown Build - 1974 Scout II

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Belltownbikes, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Belltownbikes

Belltownbikes Farmall Cub

Here are a couple of shots of the top of the inner bedsides and how they fit with the pillars.
    Front end:
    IMG_2527.JPG

Rear end:
    IMG_2526.JPG

supercrouton and mlc8761 like this.
  2. Belltownbikes

Got the axles back from sandblasting - this is the first time in a long time I've paid for sandblasting and I was stunned by the price: $250 for the two axles. Has me re-thinking sandblasting the tub when we are finished. I'll have to shop around. But if the axles were $250, the tub could be $1k. One can by a lot of wire wheels for $1k! Anyway, got the axles painted and they sure look pretty:

IMG_2532.JPG

And, yea, the Caddy in the background is for sale. It's a great runner but we've had it for 12 years now and it would be really nice to move it along to someone else - we need the space. Been advertising it on FB and CL etc, but no bites. Perhaps Caddies just not were its at nowadays...

Thanks for looking - Bob & Finn

TorqueMonster1 and supercrouton like this.
  3. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

You’re making great progress on your Scout! Really enjoying following along. Im sure there’s a market for the Caddy. Might be smaller than Scouts, muscle cars etc but there’s a market for sure. If it’s in pretty good condition and priced right it’ll sell. If I were personally looking for a convertible Caddy I would definitely be looking in Hemmings Motor News. Both the monthly printed version (which I’ve subscribed to for decades) and the online version. You might check into that route. Good Luck! Mark

4. Belltownbikes

We are still goofing around with the weel wells to get them to fit just right. I knew they would be a challenge and they have not disappointed! Meanwhile, Finn pulled the DS front inner fender out of the barn and decided to cut and patch the rotted area under the battery. He thinks that maybe he went a little far with the drain profile, but no worries. Before finishing:
    IMG_2552.JPG

Also, there is a slow but steady stream of parts that find there way to the sandblaster at work during lunch and then to the powdercoater. Here's some nce looking wing window frames. Yes, all of the window trim (and all other trim) will be black:

IMG_2553.JPG

Hopefully we will get our wheel wells under control and get the DS bedside in later this week. The heat has finally abated herre - hopefully for good and it's nice out in the garage. Thanks for looking! Bob & Finn

supercrouton likes this.
  5. Belltownbikes

Another thing that has slowed Scout work a bit - but will help in the long run - is an invite to "intern" at the local hot rod/rock crawler/cool car projects shop. We met the owner and his team this summer and he extented Finn an invite to come down and see what's happening anytime. Well during the summer when you are 14 there is not a lot of things to do (now that the farm work has about dried up around here) so Finn went down to see what's up. He's a good observer, and asks the right questions and is interested. It wasn't long before the owner noted that he has a knack and Finn was helping out. Then Finn brought his shield down and tried his hand at their TIG welder. By now he has gotten his hands dirty helping out on all sorts of neat stuff. Although it cuts into Scout work time, I'm thrilled that this oppurtunity has come up for him. Finn is beyond my ability to mentor him on many aspects of automotive stuff. The fellas there seem like very nice guys and happy to have him around. I will be interested to see where this goes for him. Here he is helping out the owner welding some exhaust tubing on the c10 drag truck:

C10.jpg

RinTX and TorqueMonster1 like this.
  6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Very cool.good for him. Can't get too much practice.

7. Belltownbikes

We got the other inner bedside cut to fit, but not yet welded in. Exciting to see both bedsides in place though. We got to talking about putting in a couple of 2-person inward facing jump seats instead of the bench - thinking that when we would be carrying more than 2 people it's be a slow speed cruising situation. And it would look cool.

IMG_2562.JPG

supercrouton likes this.
  8. Belltownbikes

A couple more weeks go by, and not really much to show. Working on the quarters and will have the DS bedside welded in this week. But - we finally had enough of our work space. The garage had gotten out of hand. We really hadn't prepared the garge for the project - we brought it home and just dug in. There was crap all over the place - our work tables covered in tools such that we had no place to lay something down; the scrap metal pile scattered; the engine resting on a moving skate and tire in the middle of everything. We had to stop and fix it. We used some recycled lumber from my Dad's deck project to build a new bench and added what should be enough shelves to keep everything up and off the floor. Added some lights and magnetic tool strips. We were able to clean off the extsting little bench and bring the extra drillpress up from the bike shop. Now, everything has a place. Feels better:
    IMG_2572.JPG

Then were able to get the tractor in the garage to lift the engine (we will see what kind of responses we get about this) and get it on the stand. We have plenty of cleaning ahead of us:

IMG_2573.JPG

So, now with a more organized, cleaner workspace and most weekends home we can get moving again! Thanks for looking! Bob & Finn

supercrouton and TorqueMonster1 like this.
  9. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

Clearly that was time well spent. That effort will pay dividends moving forward. Mark

10. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Organization is the key to success, especially as one drags more toys and tools home.... tell Finn he's doing a great job (and maybe the other person too)!

TorqueMonster1 and Belltownbikes like this.
  11. Belltownbikes

We are working on the quarters along with the last of the tub work. The end cap was previously pop-rivited on the inner flange to the rear quarter. We pulled it off and sandblasted it. We are TIG welding the end cap to the quarter. We also have to cut-and-patch some rotten parts on the quarter top. And then once we get it fitting like it should we will address the rocker forward of the wheel well. We have to fill the holes on the end cap left from the former spare tire swing-away carrier. We also have some pretty significant pitting to address along the wheel well - I think caused by the fender flares. But generally, the quarters are in pretty good shape, as compared to the tub. Thanks for looking - Bob & Finn

IMG_2578.JPG

Chris Breedlove and supercrouton like this.
  12. Belltownbikes

I've got to say that just getting everything straightened out and getting some useful bench space installed and a couple of lights has made a world of difference. And I agree - Finn is doing a great job - he is learning and practicing skills every day. This project was prefectly timed for him - at this age (15 in November) if a kid has an interest in something they can advance their skills very quickly. Much faster than us post-beer-drinking-age guys can. We have screwed up all sorts of things so far, but learning how to unwind mistakes and applying that going forward is all part of the education. I know I'm quite biased and not afraid to brag about my boy - but I see other father/kid projects here and elsewhere and I bet all of the parent's have the same experiences! Bob

13. Belltownbikes

So we are virtually done with the tub - we just have to add the lower tailgate seal rib and then all metal will be in place. We still have to flip the tub and finish welding some things fdown there - we didn't go crazy welding upside down. We are pretty happy with this milestone. We are happy with the way it came out. The last bit of welding happening:

IMG_2587.JPG

I'll make another post in the main forum, but if anyone can tell me where the lower tailgate seal goes I'd be most grateful. I know it goes all of the way across the back, but the dimension from the floor to the rib would be very helpful.

We won't flip the tub for a couple of weeks: next weekend is all booked up with non-Scout activities. In the meantime we will work on the quarters and the mounts for jumpseats - we have decided to go with 2 two person jumpseats in the back, and have a design in our head that we think would work well. We have braced the inner bedwalls and added blind nuts. But it would be nice to fit the brackets before we get any coating on the metal. Working the quarters will be the first bit of outer bodywork that we will be addressing.

I do have a couple of questions:
    * What is the best way to prep the treadplate floor with the millscale for paint, without a sandblaster/
    * Same with prepping the new sheet metal - I mean I know we have to clean the crap out of it and rough it up and such, but are there any specific products that would help us out?
    * Springs: we need new springs anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about slightly "softer" springs? and how to spec such a thing? We want to keep it about stock height or a little higher - no big lift wanted.

14. Belltownbikes

Backing plates. They were heavily rusted and one of them had a weird "modification" - someone cut a portion of the ring off and bent the backing plate backwards for access I guess. A little sandblasting and they looked much better:

IMG_2590.JPG

Some cutting, patches and welding and it is fine now:

IMG_2591.JPG

(looks like my fabulous photo skills chopped off the bottom of the ring, but you get the idea).

Bob & Finn

supercrouton likes this.
  15. Belltownbikes

We started with some outer bodywork. Hopefully all that studying we've done regarding patch panels pays off. Planishing tacks - will do!

IMG_2595.JPG

Fun stuff - Bob & Finn

16. Belltownbikes

We just about finished up the passenger side quarter. We had 5 patches total - used on SSS repair panel for the rocker forward of the wheel and then made the rest ourselves. I think we are getting the hang of patching and planishing, etc.

The forward edge of the quarter:

IMG_2598.JPG
    IMG_2599.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG

We curved the forward edge of that patch just right with the shrinker, and were very happy with that. But we should have made a template of that curve and "manipulated" the rest of the patch to match that curve. Once we got it welded in it was apparent that the patch was a little on the "flat" side. But we were able to use a couple of the wacky craiglist body hammers we picked up and get the curve pretty good at the end.

A more complicated patch:
    IMG_2602.JPG

The pitting in this area was very bad, with lots of pinholes and such. The fender lip was so wasted it didn't hold its shape any longer. We made this patch in 2 pieces: the fender lip and then the outside. We manipulated the outside patch into shape using the fender as a guide before we cut the old metal out - this patch is curved in multiple planes. We actually used the fender itself as a jig to tack the fenderlip piece to the outside piece. Then we took the patch off and finish welded the 2 pieces together on the bench.

IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    There's a couple pock marks with incomplete fill, and a couple of places were we have to give it a tap to bring it to final shape, but we were really happy with this patch. We are working towards pulling the tub back off the chassis and flipping it over this weekend. Thanks for looking. Bob & Finn

17. Belltownbikes

We continued with repairs on the DS quarter. Getting better at making patches - this time we were able to re-use a part of what we had cut out in the spring. Again, the patches took some tapping with the weird hammers - getting better at that too. The more we do and the better we get the more amazed I am what some people can do with the metal.

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    supercrouton likes this.
  18. Belltownbikes

The flip and cleaning:
    We used our little tractor at one end and the engine hoist at the other.
    IMG_2620.JPG

At one point we had to set is down on the side on an old camper mattress and re-position the lift points.

Then we set it on a rolling table we made:
    IMG_2622.JPG

The pushed it back into the garage. Here you can see the last of the undecoat and leaky engine/tramsmission goop. At least the goop kept the front of the tunnel rust free for the most part/ the ribs were rotted through where the front tub mounts landed:
    IMG_2623.JPG

Some hand scraping, a good hose down with easy off oven cleaner and then some more hand sanding, etc and it is getting pretty clean:
    IMG_2628.JPG

Next is finish welding all of the stuff on the bottom - we didn't go crazy welding overhead if we didn't have to. And the cleaning revealed a hole in the step that we didn't see before - which reminded me that I really wished I took that whole dang step out and rebuilt it on the bench - but it'll be an easy fix. More sanding to rough things up and then get some pain on it. then flip it back over and install the quarters. We also now have a bare chassis to start on. It's in pretty good shape, but we want to strip it down, get all of the rust out for inside the rails. Then paint it. And we are going to install the SSS reverse shackle kit. And the boy started tearing the engine down, but I have no pictures of that. Anyway, a good weekend of scout work...

19. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Yep, we all have a lot of pain on these things! In my case, it's been a pain to get paint on it!

It's all looking good, and I like your make shift rotisserie. Cleaver!

Belltownbikes likes this.
  20. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Here's some stock spring info (remember it's 1971 so YMMV)......

1972spring1.jpg 1972spring2.jpg
    1972spring3.jpg
    Try calling Justin Perreault at Perreault Spring in Waterbury CT. He was real nice in trying to help me get some springs for my Travelall. He can cross refernence the make model and send you a list of what the equivalent is. Probably no need to go crazy with custom springs if the ride height will be stock. Dayton makes springs in the US out of North American 5160 steel.

Nice progress!!!!!