Belltown Build - 1974 Scout II

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Belltownbikes, Feb 25, 2019.

1. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

so close!

JJ in TN

2. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Love the white grille!!!!! Reminds me of another Scout II..........

oneof3k likes this.
  3. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

4. Belltownbikes

Belltownbikes Farmall Cub

Well we got it out on the road and smashed some bugs. And it was great. After all these months of working on it, it was fantastic to get it out on a summer's night. We went for some ice cream. Then we dropped off Mom and younger brother and Finn and I took it for a ~40 mile shakedown cruise. Finn has the computer on his lap, watching the VE (fuel load vs RPM) table and the computer do it's thing auto-learning and adjusting the VE to meet the AFR we want. Every now and then he has to stop the computer and do some manual adjusting. And it just runs better and better as the cruise goes on. Once we get the VE table where we like it we can mess around with the accell enrichment (think accelerator pump for you carb guys - we just have much more control over how it works). And then we can further tune the timing advance and the AFR. Good stuff - and lot of learning over here.

We have plenty of small stuff to finish up: put the mirrors on so we can get the door cards installed. Paint the roll bar. install the radio. Finish and paint the back bumper. Mudflaps. And the roof: we have to figure out what to do with that. Like I've said before us redheads need the shade in the summer , but nothing beats topless motoring on a nice night...we think we have a solution to get both. Stay tuned for that, it'll take a couple of weeks as we take a little break to just drive this thing around.

IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG

We also drove it around with some 6 degree castor shims installed and it steered very nicely: good self centering, etc. But we took them out because they make the front diff point at the ground. So there is a cut-and-turn in our future. In fact we might turn to 12 degrees and then put some 4 degree castor shims in backwards to get the diff pointed in the right direction. But that will be a winter thing...

Thanks for looking - good day - Bob & Finn

5. J.J.

Congratulations!!!!!!!

JJ in TN

6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Good deal...glad your getting some road time...

7. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

Looks so good! Outstanding job!

8. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Nice.......:scout:

AD

9. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Well done! Being able to drive it after all the work involved is a great reward.

10. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

Do you have a part number for your 12v parking brake contraption? How do you activate it? How did you route it to the rear drums?

11. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

How do you like that 4.0 in the Scout? My 97 Cherokee with 240k plus miles will still chirp the tires if I stomp on it. It’s a gas hog for sure. Always runs hot too.

12. Belltownbikes

Porter, no real part numbers, but I'll list the components:
    12V linear actuator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W1ENGR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Universal ebrake cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CONKC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Between the actuator and the cables we put 2 4" 73# springs, so when the actuator is fully engaged there is ~140# pull on the cable. It seems to work well. It's not fast and takes about 10 seconds to fully engage. If you use the parking brake frequently, or need it engaged quickly this low budget e-ebrake is not the best solution. If you use the brake for launching a boat or occasionally when parking on a hill it is fine.

We used a DTDP switch to control the actuator motion. The actuator extends with the + and - wired one way, and then retracts when the polarity is reversed. We will mount the switch in the center console on the drivers side so that it is easy to reach, but hard to engage accidentally.

One of the issues with our placement on the inside of the inner rocker makes it a bit noisy when disengaged. Everything is slack and it'll bounce against the rocker. We are working on a simple suspension to keep it from bouncing against the rocker when disengaged.

Overall for us, it's worked well and we like it. Good luck - Bob

13. Belltownbikes

So far we like it a lot. It certainly does not have overwhelming power, but feels about right for the Scout. We are using the megasquirt ECU and so have control over all of the maps. We are working on our tune to get some decent gas mileage and keep things as cool as possible. The coolant temp rarely goes over 200 degrees F. Not sure how we are doing mileage wise because we are not confident with our fuel gauge calibration. We have some more tuning to do - and some more learning to squeeze some more out of the engine - but that is great fun.

Ours is set up with a cold air intake and a nice clean exhaust, so it flows really well. Sounds good too. We also used the newer NV3550 5-speed tranny so it drives nice. We could have been better choosing transfer cases, and ended up having to use an adapter between tcase and tranny, and paid for that up front with shoe-horning an electric fan on the front side of the radiator.

We put louvers in the hood because we had read that the 4.0 runs hot, and they seem to help - you can really feel the hot draft coming out when you part the truck.

As far as engine swaps go, I think the 4.0 is a good candidate. It's a descendant of the engine that was in this Scout. But it comes with the modern engine control. We priced out adding FI and the other items to the original 258 to make it run close to a modern engine and were quickly up to $2000, without any actual work on an engine that had not been started in 25 years. We found this engine on FB marketplace for $500 with everything but the ECU. So for much less money we ended up with a 30 year newer engine (our is a 2004) with 50% more HP right out of the box.

Finally, already - before we completed the tuning - it starts and drives like a modern car. My wife and daughter never really got the hang of starting our 69 caddy with the carb. Now, with the Scout it starts and runs like what they drive every day. Now, we have yet to let them drive the Scout but maybe soon. B

MrKenmore, J.J., Darrel and 1 other person like this.
  14. J.J.

Careful on letting your wife drive it, I did and now its her "pretty little white truck" HAHAHA

JJ in TN

BJRoss, Belltownbikes and oneof3k like this.
  15. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Bob and Finn: I'M JEALOUS!

Belltownbikes likes this.
  16. Belltownbikes

Still working on the punchlist as we enjoy driving it around. We've put ~500 miles on it so far and it's fun. I'll be honest, it does not get the attention that our old 69 DeVille convertible got, but that is fine. But the folks that do know what it is are very enthusiastic about it.

We've got both windows in and finished up the door panels, got the radio installed, got the rear bumper on got the mirrors on. Chasing down squeaks and rattles. A bunch of little stuff. We still have work to go on the roof - and I will post pics of that when we are finished. We are planning something that I have yet to see on a Scout. We will paint the roll bar when we are done with the roof - waiting until we are done with the roof fitment so we don't scratch it all up. A cut and turn is definitely in the plans - the steering is annoying. It's running good, and we are still tweaking the tune. We keep honing it in.

We have some paint touch ups to do once we paint the roll bar.

This is how it looks now, with mirrors and hubcaps on:
    IMG_3188.JPG

The rear bumper - this has been "revised" a couple of times, but I think we have it where we like it now:
    IMG_3187.JPG

The interior, good shot of the flocking on the dash and the cool seagrass mats from Coco Mats (which I would highly recommend - they weren't sure of their Scout pattern, so they sent me their pattern cut out full size with some extra pattern paper and I cut and pasted until I had what I liked. Sent the patterns back and a couple of weeks later I get custom-fit mats in the mail). We have yet to get some seat covers.
    IMG_3189.JPG

Door panels - we replaced the cardboard backers with coroplast and used some diamond stitched vinyl. Looks kinda swanky. The metal parts of the door panels were sprayed around the edges with the Monstaliner when we sprayed the tub.
    IMG_3190.JPG

And a shot of the nose - we didn't have any more room. But with our engine/tranny/tcase swap we either had to modify the tunnel or the nose - nose was easier. I wish I could say that was by design, but it was just beginners luck. We should have better sourcing a tcase that didn't need an adapter and we would have saved 2".

IMG_3191.JPG

So - we are just about done. Finish roof and we are done - in the next couple of weeks. Tonight we are off to scoop a 302 for Finn's next project, which is not an International but I may throw up a pic or two just so those interested can see what the boy is up to. He's got plans!

Enjoy the rest of the summer, and stay healthy! Good day - Bob & Finn

17. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Looks great...good job B and F..!!

18. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Those mats look cool. They really look fantastic in your Scout!!
    Do they come in any other colors?
    I need to get them to make Travelall mats!!

19. Belltownbikes

I agree they are really sweet. They have all sorts of colors. They aren't the cheapest out there, but you are dealing with a small family owned business located now in SC and they sew the mats up to order. And like I said, with a little extra footwork you have a custom floor mat.

https://www.cocomats.com/coco/

B

oneof3k likes this.
  20. Belltownbikes

Slight modifications to the roof.
    IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG
    More to follow. B&F