Belltown Build - 1974 Scout II

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Belltownbikes, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Belltownbikes

Belltownbikes Farmall Cub

IMG_1952.JPG My name is Bob Spooner and live in East Hampton, CT. "Belltown". I am new to the Scout world. Two months ago, Scouts were not on my radar. Then in early January my son showed me a picture of a truck a freind of or had in his garage - a Scout II. My boy thought that it wold be a good project. We went over and found a pretty nice Scout that our friend had owned since 1985. It had been parked in his garage since 1994. Seemed rough in spots, but doable.
    It happens that I build custom bicycle frames and this friend really wanted a new mtb race bike - so we traded the scout for a bicycle frame and some cash and both walked away thinking we got a good deal, which is the way it should work.
    So a little about us. I'm an engineer for work and as I mentioned up there, build custom bicycle frames as a hobby. I've been at that about 10 years now and we are working on frame #99. We build mountain bikes, and cyclocross racing bikes and have even built a few touring bikes over the years. I have been brazing the bikes, but we are moving towards TIG welding. I have also restored a couple of cars in the past: a 1973 VW Thing and a 1969 DeVille convertible. I said that Caddy would be the last restoration I did, and I would not have taken on this project except for my son. My son is 14 y/o and not your average kid. He's been MIG welding since he was 10 and then picked up the TIG last year. After tons of practice, he has taken on some of the framebuilding. We both were practicing the TIG together, but he was just so much better than me (good eyes, good steady hands, etc) I just stepped back and let him take it on. So, he's the welder when we join using TIG. We have made a few frames completely TIG joined, and some with both TIG and brass. He also has an RC crawler problem, and have been designing and welding his own RC tube chassis. He also has a 3D printer and designs and prints out most of the compnents he needs for his crawlers. Just hanging out in the shop building bikes and things with this guy is about as good as it can get for a Dad. I think the biggest benefit I got from the frame building was being able to pass some skills on to him and then watch him take it to the next level.
    So, after we looked at the Scout I scoured the internet - found this place and started digging. What a treasure trove of knowledge here! Reasding through the threads gave me a baseline of data, and the start of a plan. The Scout was an hour away from home, and I looked the truck over before I read all I could here, so I'd need to look again to see what we faced. Though i knew of the common issues.

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 8:54 AM
  2. Belltownbikes

IMG_1957.JPG OK, I think I've got the full-sized image posting figured out. So we got it home on Saturday, off the trailer and then had at it in the afternoon. We emptied the interior, removed the seats and pulled up the carpet and felt to see what we had. Seems pretty typical - maybe a little on the "good" side for a truck that has spent it'slife in New England.

DeepSoutBulldawg likes this.
  3. Belltownbikes

That strut you see on the passenger side was the "bodyshop's" solution to installing new rear quarters all goofed up in ~1990.

4. Belltownbikes

The outer rockers are toast, but the inners are mosly there. The front cab mounts are toast, and the middle cab mount on the driver's side toast. Lots of silicone sealant holding the rust together. The floors are eaten through on the outer edges, and most of the floor braces are gone. Rear floor not too bad - except for a wierd wave from a poor install when the rear quarters were replaced. A couple of smallish holes on the rear floor and inner rear rockers. IMG_1959.JPG IMG_1958.JPG

5. Belltownbikes

We took off the hood and the front fenders - wondering what we would find behind there. the fenders ok - some rocker replacement and also some work needed on the fender arches. What we found behind the fenders was very encouraging: the door posts (is that what you call them?) and the bracing that catches all the mud and debris were intact. The lower "splash guards" are gone. Overall we were pretty happy with this. IMG_1964.JPG IMG_1966.JPG

6. Belltownbikes

The last bit I'll show was the draverr's side inner front fender - swiss cheese! The battery tray is all gone and lots of repair needed here. IMG_1970.JPG

7. Belltownbikes

And that is where we sit after our first weekend. I'll try to keep this thread updated with our progress, and I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions along the way. thanks for looking! Bob

IMG_1967.JPG

TorqueMonster1, CoopVA and Jrc55 like this.
  8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Farmall Cub

Welcome.....looks like you got your work cut out for ya....

9. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Welcome. That's a lot of Rust you're in for lots of welding!

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

10. Av8ing1

Av8ing1 Farmall Cub

Looking forward to the updates!

11. TX Binder

TX Binder Farmall Cub

Being new to the IH scene myself, this gives me a little renewed hope. I just acquired a '74 Scout II that needs both front cab mounts and what I would call the "toe boards". At least it doesn't need full floors. The outer body on yours looks to be in better shape than mine though. It's going to need some patches in the front fenders and probably do both rear quarters eventually. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your progress!

tim vaughan likes this.
  12. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

I'll be following along. Please throw in some off topic pics of bikes and include some of your techniques. I'll be interested to see how your engineering side kicks in, along with the quality and fitting skills you have from building bikes. This should be a good thread! Welcome

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  13. CoopVA

CoopVA Binder Driver

Welcome aboard!

14. Belltownbikes

Thanks for the welcome guys. Got got some more done this weekend. Took most of the front clip off and pulled the engine/tranny/transfer case. We left the driver's side innner fender on so that wee could start to repair that, but upon more consideration - if might be better just to drop the dough and get a new one from SSS. Things are going along fine, and I really like how simple these trucks are. A great project for me and my boy. He's very motivated, and keeps me moving along! IMG_1991.JPG IMG_1987.JPG

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  15. Belltownbikes

Here's where we are at the front.
    IMG_1998.JPG

16. Belltownbikes

At the rear, we just got the bumnper and the tailgate off and poked around in the floor corners finding bondo and such. The uprights that the end caps attach to (what are those called?) will need some repair too. Tailgate is in perfect condition. The endcaps themselves are in very good condition. The rear quarters are in pretty good condition - the rocker forward of the wheelwell on the driver's side will need to be repllaced. IMG_1999.JPG

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  17. Belltownbikes

Bike pictures. I started building bikes 10 years ago and the latest frame is #99. A former neighbor of mine is one of the best custom touring bike builders on the planet, and he has been very generous with his knowledge and time. If I have a mentor, I guess it would be him. I build different types of bikes, though. Mostly mountain bikes and cyclocross racing bikes (off-road racing on curvy-handlebar road bike looking rigs). And kids bikes - with 3 kids all riding/racing bikes keeping them on bikes that fit was good for a lot of frames.

A recent mtb: long front center and very short chainstays. IMG_1874.JPG

Me suffering on one of those cyclocross racing bikes: IMG_1860.JPG

The boy working on the frame that this Scout was traded for:
    IMG_1904.JPG

The latest frame, I did the fillet brazing on this end - the Head tube joins and the boy did the TIG on the other end.

IMG_1984.JPG

Jrc55 likes this.
  18. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

Welcome! I am also new around here and have found tons of helpful tech in these threads. It is so great to see you and your son digging in on this scout, Well, done! :clap:

19. Belltownbikes

The digging continues.

IMG_2025.JPG

20. Belltownbikes

We pulled the rear quarters off this weekend and are working on our game plan. As is clear from pics above - one of the cab mounts is completely missing. Four of the others are compromised. The good news is we have one that is intact enough to give us a datum to rebuild the others. We are planning on jigging the tub over the chassis and rebuilding the body mounts "back down" to the chassis. With the rear quarters off, the true scope of the former repairs is evident - patch panels rivited or just held in place with bondo over holes, with little in the way of rust removal before patching. The outer sheet metal is in pretty good condition, but the tub - sheesh! Determining what is rusty original, what is rusty patches, what is saveable and what isn't is interesting. We are still excited though!
    IMG_2044.JPG