Beginning welding

Discussion in 'The Tool Box' started by Mark Aycock, Aug 9, 2017.

1. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

I just picked up a shielding gas bottle and switched my mig to solid wire with shielding gas yesterday. Ran a couple of practice beads on some scrap sheet metal.
    Man what a difference from flux core!! I don't anticipate ever welding without the shielding gas again.

Mark Aycock likes this.
  2. Pwrless

Pwrless Farmall Cub

I prefer auto darkening just so I don't really have to take my hood off when stick welding or with mig just so I can see where I need to go when I'm done with that current weld, while not all that much of a difference it's just easier to keep it down and move from one weld spot to another without having to nod to drop the hood down after every finished weld.

3. Pwrless

Pwrless Farmall Cub

I'm a student in Diesel tech and automotive and when I went through my welding classes my welding instructor told me Stick is generally meant for more heavy duty work while Mig is for more standard automotive. To me it's honestly just personal preference, I enjoyed doing stick more then mig just because of the fact that I felt more aware of what I was doing with stick than with mig. For overall you get different types of wire with mig but it requires more maintenance, I.e. gotta clean the nozzle and replace parts, with stick you gotta get a new stick every couple minutes and it's generally a bit harder with striking the rod and restarts.

MrKenmore likes this.
  4. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Class starts in ONE week.

5. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Mark
    Just saw this
    How is the class?
    Curious, in your search for this class, did you find any similar over on my side of town?
    Gui let me know if you plan on doing a class like this.
    Mark
    Maybe you could teach the GCB folks to weld at a wrench day soon

6. Thatweldguy

Thatweldguy Farmall Cub

Hello, I weld for 6 or 7 hours a day. I prefer a glass lens or a "gold" lens (plastic with a metallic gold film on the outside) when I'm laying down welds. Normally a #11 shade. If I'm welding heavy plate 3/8" or heavier with a dual shield wire I use a #13 lens. When fitting any work together I have a fancier Miller digital elite. My eyes just adjust better to real glass. Good luck with your class

7. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Class one. Classroom and then stick welding. I need quite a bit of practice. Later to come MIG, TIG, plasma cutting, and oxy-acetyline cutting. Fun so far. The helmet works well.

8. Gui

Gui Farmall Cub

I think I'll do this in the spring, might have my tools back from friends by then.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

9. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Would love to find a welding class on the South side of town, or closer to Pearland.

10. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Class 2. 2 1/2 hours of stick welding. Getting better.

11. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Finally got to MIG welding tonight. Mig welding with gas is GREAT. My welds look so much better.

12. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

What type of rods did you get to practice with here? 6011, 6013, 7014 or something else? Did you get to try AC and both DC polarities with any of them? What diameter rods and amperages and what thickness base metal? Anything interesting to report?

Any stories or questions about the MIG [do they make you refer to it 'properly' as Gas Metal Arc Welding?] process? Which gas mix were you using? We need more details....pictures would be nice, but under the circumstances, aren't required...

13. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

We did all of the above but I didn't think to do negative polarity. Some of the Binder guys suggested that last weekend but we didn't do any more stick welding last night. I think the gas mixture was 75%CO2, 25% Argon. Yes, they referred to it correctly, GMAW but also called it MIG.

14. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Now I have to buy a welder and an angle grinder!

Darrel likes this.
  15. sarookha

sarookha Binder Driver

And a plasma cutter and an oxy-acetylene torch and a.... :cornfused:

16. Dana Strong

That's a fair warning, but it really doesn't go far enough, particularly for someone who collects Internationals ...

Randall Barringer, Bussy and RinTX like this.
  17. johninwi

johninwi Farmall Cub

You'll end up with 3 grinders at least, 1 each for a wire wheel, a sanding disk and a grinding wheel.

Darrel likes this.
  18. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Any one tried one of those 220V stick/TIG/Plasma jobbies?
    Strictly for hobbyist type stuff of course.
    Every time I want to buy a cheap 1/2 plasma cutter I see them and get stuck like a deer in front of a train. :)

19. superfishyall

superfishyall Farmall Cub

I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone can recommend a specific auto-darkening helmet for MIG. I did some research but there are so many options it's hard to decide. This is for occasional and beginner use. I don't need the cheapest one but also don't want or need a million bells and whistles - just a quality helmet, preferably one that can be mail-ordered. Also, what's the best tool for finishing welds on a flat panel? Angle grinder with flap disc?

20. Dana Strong

With Stick, one learns more about manipulating the rod and puddle when doing odd repairs on inconsistent joints; that is, changing the heat and penetration. A stick machine allows many different alloys, both ferric and not (e.g. hard facing, bronze, high-strength steel [E11018] bought in small quantities for small jobs ), and a carbon arc can be used as just a heat source or a single carbon used for cutting.

I too like them because they block the light without changing the color. Work well outside on a sunny day.

I just noticed this; the ratio above is backwards and should be 75% Argon, 25% CO2.

I can't. I haven't compared any or even looked to see what's available, in years. How it fits your head will be a big factor and the quality of the material should be determinable by close examination, I'd think.

Depends on the weld and how much build-up. If much, a standard grinding wheel to get the surface fairly planar, with a flap wheel to do the finish work and any fine blending. If building something like a storage box or repairing garden equipment, a good weld can just be left as is, just cleaned and painted.