Autolite 4100 on a 345 auto

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Sozzy, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I scored a great deal on a rebuilt Autolite 4100, 480 CFM 4 barrel today. I was planning on using an Edelbrock, but this I've heard so many great things about the Autolite and the deal was so good, I couldn't pass it up... Also, I think the 480 CFM is better suited to the 345.
    Question: Has anyone else tried this, and if so, any problems with the linkage? I am wondering where to hook up the PCV and power brake hose. I think I'll end up using a port on the manifold if I can find the right fitting (the original broke when I pulled it off to repaint the manifold). The 4100 does not have any large vacuum ports like the Edelbrock.

2. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Well hell... I mocked up the new carb on the manifold and the accelerator pump hits the thermostat housing . I'll try a spacer to raise it above (about an inch ). If I have the hood clearance I should be in business. If not I may swap carbs with my mustang.
    Photos in my gallery

3. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I am not all that familiar with the Autolite 4100, but if the accelerator pump is similar to the one on the Autolite 2100 two barrel there is a 'long' accelerator pump and a 'short' one. The 'long' one will fit on an IH engine with a lot of grinding to the thermostat housing, the but the short will fit without any issues. There should be pics on here someplace of both accelerator pumps on the 2100 if you need to see pics....

4. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I'll check that out, thanks. I'm not totally opposed to grinding the thermostat housing, but I just painted everything and made it look nice. I could always do some touch up paint if I have to grind.

5. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My guess is that you are absolutely, positively the first person to put an Autolite four barrel carb on a Scout. With all of the Holley, Edelbrock and to a lesser extent, Thermoquad availability, not to mention FI, you probably are one of a kind so you'll be the guinea pig.

6. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Well nix that idea . I tried grinding the thermostat housing and couldn't get enough clearance before I started to go through into the void. After welding it back up and repainting I decided to take the edelbrock off my mustang and use it instead. I put the autolite on my stang. I am sure I could have fit the autolite on the scout with a spacer, but I doubt I would have the hood clearance.