"Ashley Simpson syndrome:" My Scout has acid reflux!

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Matt G, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Matt G

Matt G Farmall Cub

My tank burped out quite a bit of gas Saturday while I was away from the Scout, baked in the sun for a couple hours, and completely TOASTED my nice new paint job on the driver's rear quarter :mad:

I've read a lot about gas tank "burps" here, but most threads seem to deal with burps during fill-ups and with poly tanks. I have the stock 19 gallon metal tank and had no problems filling it up this time (though it was very full). I left the gas station, drove 15 minutes to work (no problems), parked for a couple hours on a very slight incline (no problems), moved the vehicle to another (flat) parking space, returned 2 hours later, and my paint was roasted. :eek: :( Now there's a 6-inch-wide swath of crinkled, flaky destruction from the gas cap straight down the Q panel.

The tank's down to about 2/3 now and there's been no further burpage. Before I start sanding and priming, can anyone tell me what I should do to prevent this happening again? I mean, the paint damage is really bad. Any advice other than "don't fill it all the way," which is where I'm at now... Is this just a case of the tank being too full on a warm day? :confused:

Technical tidbits:
    - It's never burped before - certainly not this high volume of spew
    - the fuel system has none of the fancy emissions-mandated junk (er...items) on it. I have the filler neck itself, and the vent line that runs from the top of the tank back to the top of the neck. Zat's about it; no vapor canister thingys, etc.
    - The vent line is not obstructed - I verified this by shooting air down the vent line and it returned freely back up the neck.
    - I replaced the stock cruddy plastic filler neck approximately 3 months ago b/c it was leaking. New neck is steel and the vent line is steel too. New rubber fuel connector hoses & clamps. The old plastic neck prevented me from filling past 15 or 16 gallons. The new neck allows faster fueling AND an increase in capacity. I have no fuel leaks anywhere. I have put maybe 12 full tanks through since replacement with no burping problems.
    - Never noticed pressure build-up when removing the gas cap, either before or after filler enck replacement

Sorry about the length - just trying to be thorough. Any ideas to prevent recurrence appreciated. Too bad they don't make a "purple pill" for Scouts... :(

2. Lava

Lava High Wheeler

I'm not positive about a scout 2 but my model eighties vent tube discharges from the tank to the outside atmosphere.
    Makes more sense if there'd be a positive pressure relief on your tank rather than a loop? :confused: Maybe some other vent?

3. Matt G

Matt G Farmall Cub

Thanks Lava. I think the two systems are different. If I understand my system correctly, pressure relief comes via use of a vented gas cap, and my cap is in great shape. The vent tube is designed to give the air somewhere to go when you're pouring fuel down the filler neck, so's the gas doesn't spill during fill-ups. Which mine doesn't... my big "burp" came several hours AFTER a fill up. :confused:

4. mesamonster

mesamonster Farmall Cub

I am not sure but I don't think a scout II gas cap should be vented. All 5 of the scout II's I have owned have said "not vented" right on the cap. This may be why it puked. Every time I take my cap off to re-fuel I can hear preasure being released, or possibly it's vaccume being released not sure which.

5. mesamonster

mesamonster Farmall Cub

I guess I should have added...... I have had a 74, 77, 2-78's, and a 1980. Like I said all the caps were not vented.