Asbestos insulation

Discussion in 'Irma's Place' started by Nicxt44191, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

Has anyone seen/ heard of ih using asbestos insulation in their refrigerators? I cracked mine open, and it looks like fiberglass........ but I don't know

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Asbestos is a good high-temperature insulator, particularly where other materials would degrade or burn, but it's not great at low or ambient temperatures compared to other materials which would also be cheaper and easier to work with. I see no reason why any company would use it in a refrigerator.
    Most fiberglass fibers will melt in a propane torch, while asbestos withstands an oxy-acetylene flame fairly well, so do a test to assure your self.

3. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

I read that somewhere, that it was mainly used in ovens, toasters, ect. Before I thought about it, I had removed some with gloves and p100 respirator. I hit it with a map torch and it melted/ degraded pretty fast. It is rather itchy as well, which is a good sign. I didn't know that fiberglass was cheaper. We all know how ih felt about coming out of the pocket, ha ha. Thanks for the info dana, I appreciate it.

4. superfishyall

superfishyall Farmall Cub

I've also found asbestos in undercoating on cars. I had a 46 Chrysler and the undercoating was full of it. My 70 Plymouth Fury had traces. It's not very expensive to have a sample tested.