Anyone familiar with dt466e engines? 626 code no smoke no just spins and spins..

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Cjmac, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM.

1. Cjmac

Cjmac Farmall Cub

Hello, been reading about dt466e engines for last few hours and am not sure what to think of the problem we have..

Truck has been sitting for a few years. Died on road was towed back to yard and sat..

Other day I started tinkering with it to see if I could find a direction to move with it.. un hooked fuel lines connected to emote tank with new fuel. Refilled filter primed . The hand pump leaks but seems to be pushing fuel as it should.

The engine will crank and crank but will not fire. No smoke, nothing.

Guages sweep, then as cranking re sweep.
    No tach signal when cranking.

Code 626

Have checked fuses and pulled wires.. is the best next step to actually remove the wiring harness for engine to inspect, or is there common areas with known faults? Cleaned wires on starter and gave them all a tug. Pulled plug out of firewall to check for corrosion. All seems real clean.

This is a 98 4300 by the way..

1 40 fuse in battery box
    2x 5 fuses under dash.
    1x ecm relay on cowl

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Chris in Washington

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

Most of the regulars here don't deal with the larger vehicles and engines, so it might take a while until one who does sees and perhaps responds to your tread. I am not a licensed mechanic, don't know details about modern diesel engines, and don't have access to any manuals on them but do sometimes find useful information online. Let me first ask a few specific questions though.
    How did you read the codes; do you have a scanner, and/or code table? Do you know what code 626 indicates? Why do you suspect the wiring harness? Are the wires numbered or color coded and do you have a schematic showing which wires are in which circuits? How about access to a manual? Can you determine if the injectors are firing at all?

A quick search for problems with that engine found a few sites discussing them; one (link below) that looked interesting to me mentions the cam position sensor (CPS) and later the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor. I'd suggest reading that and deciding if either of those sensors might be involved.
    https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/dt466e-problems-145032/

.​

3. Cjmac

Cjmac Farmall Cub

Hey thanks for your thoughts on this.

I had the ecm flash the codes through the dash lights. There's a diagnostic button on dash.

The 626 code is an intermittent ecm power supply power issue. According to some internet research.

I have another dt530e engine that I pulled the cam sensor from to check, it didn't help. But may both be bad? Seems unlikely, but maybe?

I almost signed up at that diesel resource forum but when I was registering found that it was a Dodge truck site, so figured the ih site would be a better group to ask.. obviously this isn't a rush project, it's been sitting for years. But it's number is up, and do need to make a decision on what to do with it.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Cjmac

Cjmac Farmall Cub

I do not believe the injectors are firing..

I'm fairly sure this is an electric issue.

These electronic engines are a real treat to fix. Codes seem helpful, but usually just send me in circles until an accidental discovery leads to the actual issue.

Thanks again

5. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Not sure on that diesel, but can you instal noid lights to check injector pulses?

6. walkersscout

Also, and again not sure about that motor, but can you crack an injector line to see if you have flowing fuel? Maybe install fuel pressure gauge?

7. Cjmac

Cjmac Farmall Cub

These have a heui fuel system like a powerstroke. I wish it was steel lines.. it would be running!

8. walkersscout

Is there a port for a pressure gauge? I am kind of a two trick pony on diesels, either a Duramax, or old mechanical injection I have worked on, the power strokes were at my old company job and they had their own mechanics, so I never touched them, just broke them.

9. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

Ebay does have some troubleshooting manuals which aren't too expensive, so if nobody here has better suggestions, getting one might be the best solution. If that engine was used elsewhere, or even in IH trucks owned by people on that Dodge forum, it might still be another good source of information...although I am now interested too, so would hope you'd report back with a solution and hopefully good pictures also, once you figure it out.
    I've worked with early (1980-1990) Ford codes, but don't know enough about your system to even make many guesses, except to check all the wiring and connectors.

BTW, you might add your general location to your profile so it will show up in the box on the left. Somebody near you may just feel like looking you up to see it himself, or might know someone in your area who could.

.​

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:34 PM