Anybody running a divorced transfer case in a scout ll?

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by vegestar, May 23, 2019.

1. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

Or a Terra/Traveler? That would be more specific. Thinking about a very interesting powertrain swap for my 1980 Traveler. Hate to give up my Dana 300 but I can't have cake and eat it too... unless someone says I can? Any thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

2. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

On a scout II I dont think there is enough length to do it.I traveler/terra should work as its the same wheel base as a travelall and they all have divorced case.There are 2 problems that I can see happening,one is the rear shaft being to short(dont think that will happen,my main concern would be front drive shaft clearing the tranny crossmember.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

A Traveler is easy if you don't have excess lift. A buddy of mine parted out a regular Scout II with a Clark 5 speed and divorced 205.

4. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

Encouraging words gentlemen thank you. I haven't brought out a tape measure yet but my eyeballs say the new powertrain is shorter than the SD33 and T-19 so there's a good chance the Dana 300 can stay where it is. That's if I can figure out how to hang it there and if it can be converted to yoke input? Guess I'll do some research on that. I have a 205 as a backup plan so I should be covered as far as transfer cases go. I think my biggest hurdles with this endeavor are going to be motor mounts and shift linkage and like Jeff said getting the front driveline to clear whatever I fab up as a transmission mount. Hopefully I can keep the shop warm enough this winter to get some wrenching in during the off season.

5. Chris Breedlove

Chris Breedlove Farmall Cub

Check out Robert JetFxr 's post history. His SII I believe either does, or did, run a 5 speed manual IH tranny with a divorced case of some sort. Probably an Atlas. May give you some ideas.

6. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I'm going to 2nd Jeff here, or, at least urge caution.

When dealing with a 100" wheel base, there just isn't the room one might have with a conventional (and longer wheel base) truck. Truly, there are few things in this life that aren't accomplishable, for someone that puts their mind to it, but there is the potential for some pretty steep drive line angles I would be concerned with over the long term.

7. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

He had a custom machined adapter to marry a transfer case to the 5 speed. It was a transfer case stock to a Scout II, I believe. He may have also had some other combination at some point. Don’t know.

Edit: I just remembered it wasn’t Robert, it was someone he knew.

8. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

I'm wondering what this interesting powertrain swap is that you can't run the dana 300? My junk has a Ford ZF with a dana 300. Albeit a jeep 300 but still a 300.