Any tips for reclaiming money

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rchinson, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john a karcher

john a karcher Farmall Cub

I have had several dealings with Scout FX in the past and have bought several parts from them. I am not siding with anyone, just putting some more info out there. I have had some concerns at some time when buying parts. Usually they take a while to get to the destination, but Jerry at Scout FX personnally takes the parts to the shop where my scout resides. I know for a fact that they have had some rough times with some stuff. (even though I thought it was crazy and impossible on some occasions.) For example: I purchased a frame from Scout FX and it was as promised. When he (personnaly) delivered it (to help save some shipping cost for me), they had an accident and one of Jerrys guys was injured. I only know this becuase the men that responded are volunteers and are also friends of mine. I was told a few days later why they had run into a few problems- the employee had seriously injured his hand before going back to Ohio. Just some interesting information thats all. All this and I am ordering the parts from Iraq, my family is in NC and my scout and parents are in Missouri and Scout FX is in Ohio. Jerry and his wife from Scout FX also met with my family and with my body man, seemed like a nice enough guy. Well, just my two cents.

2. rchinson

rchinson Farmall Cub

well i was promised the money would be mailed last week. Its not late wednesday and no money has arrived. Guess I got lied to and its a good thing I never stopped talking to a lawyer or stopped the postmaster from investigating. Just an update for anyone that cared to know.

3. MountainMedic

MountainMedic Farmall Cub

I don't know if you paid with a check or credit card/ check card but... If you paid with a check, you still may be able to work something out with your bank on a stop payment (yes, I know it has been a long time but at $1,250, it's worth it to try). If you paid with a Visa/Mastercard Check/Credit card, you are most likely in luck. Call their customer service and explain the situation to them, that you paid money but did not receive the promised product. They treat this the same as if someone stole your credit card and made charges without permission. They will reimburse you your funds. I have done this three times now, once against an IH vendor who is well known for being slow, too slow in my case, and the vendors are reluctant to return your money. Visa/Mastercard are very quick to help you in this situation as it builds customer loyality and they are able to simply submit it to their insurance company. This is something that everybody should know about. Anymore, I never buy internet or over-the-phone without a checkcard (or credit card). If I have any problems that I am unable to resolve myself after reasonable effort, I simply call Visa. I promise you, they will take care of it. And if you paid by Credit card, you should be eager to exercise this right after paying 18% interest. If you wrote a check, you can put a little leverage on the bank by threatening to move your accounts. You, after all, are their customer and YOU CAN FIRE THEM! Good luck!

4. MacE-AZ

MacE-AZ Farmall Cub

I have to say that I'm glad that people are sharing these experiences. This type of stuff is scary because it makes me second-guess doing larger $$ business with many of the vendors.

5. rchinson

rchinson Farmall Cub

Ok the latest update for all of you wanting to know what kind of business scout fx is. Now I am attacking them if you haven't picked up on it. I called Jerry today and he assured me the money was in the mail. My roommate called and told me that I had the check at the house so I rushed home quickly at 4 to open the letter only to find the SOB deducted a 250 dollar restocking fee for a tub that he never built or delivered. He included a copy of their policy on returns printed off his "new" internet site. When I purchased the tub it was over the phone and he had an old internet site up that didn't mention restocking fees or non delivery. When I got him to agree to a refund in January we agreed on a full refund not a partial one. When I talked to him in march he was even going to throw some extra money in since i had been so patient with him so far. When I finally get the check its 250 dollars short and he includes a copy of his new policy? One that I was never told about on the phone. You all correct me if I am wrong and shouldn't be mad but at this point I am furious and he just threw gasoline on a lit fire. A lot of people will tell me to be thankful that I got anything out of him at all but I am too hard headed I am goign to tear up the check and continue in small claims court and continue aiding the postmaster in mail fraud charges unless he makes it right by next day airing me a check for the correct amount. Raleigh Police Department has an open case file on it for mail fraud and hopefully after tommorrow so will Catawba or springfield ohio police. The check also included a letter that says "sorry it took so lond to resolve this matter. this is payment in full for the refund on the tub. thank you for being patient. a copy of our policies is enclosed for you to read." I was patient before now he will find out what impatient and furious will look like. Damn the torpedos full speed ahead.

6. tired iron

tired iron Farmall Cub

A $250 restocking fee for something not delivered? IMHO I would just take the lost and make sure the funds are available for the $1000. A vendor is in service to the customer and if service is not granted they do not stay in business. I like to stay in the mainstream vendors, it appears they have more integrity. ;)

7. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

Wow, that's bad.

I imagine that if you cashed the $1,000 check, you'd have a hard time getting the rest of the $$ back because it could be indicative of your acceptance of a partial refund.

-Gary

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  8. rchinson

rchinson Farmall Cub

that is what I was thinking gary. I tried to call him but of course noone was there since they were closed and when i typed out a less than kind email it was not recieved due to unknown error or refusal. My dealings with this company were perfect until they got the money for the deal and ever since its been like pulling teeth to get anything out of them.

9. Ike T

Ike T High Wheeler

If you can live with 80% of the money back, cash the check and move on.

You have probably influenced at least $250 worth of business away from this vendor by now. And your posts will live on for future reference.

Tim

10. BinderMark

BinderMark Farmall Cub

My two cents:
    I imagine that if you cashed the $1,000 check, you'd have a hard time getting the rest of the $$ back because it could be indicative of your acceptance of a partial refund.

To correct that statement from Gary: For you to cash the check would be indictive of your acceptance of a FULL refund and that you accept HIS terms.

Which you do not and should not. Do not destroy the check that he sent you but instead just write VOID over it and keep it for evidence against him.

How can we help? Besides not ever going to them for parts of course. There must be something else we can do.

Mark

11. Foy

Foy High Wheeler

If it was me.........

rchinson-

Sorry we never met when we were neighbors here in Raleigh.

I spend an inordinant amount of time chasing people who won't pay my firm's bills and people who won't pay rents. It sucks, but that's the real world.

If I were in your shoes, I would run, not walk, to the bank with that check. Preferably a branch of the bank it's drawn on, if that is possible.

You're getting screwed out of $250, yes. But, as of a week ago, you had been screwed out of $1,250. You were already facing the reality that getting anything at all was going to be difficult if not impossible. I think it's unrealistic to think that the local police or the USPS will put forth an earnest effort to seek resolution through legal channels. Again, that sucks, but you can't change the reality. They're fairly busy people, and there are a whole lot of cases with much more money involved, not to mention violence, which will take priority.

So, if it were me, I'd cash that check in a New York minute. The only reason to do otherwise is to make a point of some sort, and that point will very likely cost you $1,000.

It ain't fair. It ain't right. But it is the smart thing to do, IMHO.

Best of luck, whatever you choose.

Foy

12. Architectdave

Architectdave High Wheeler

Take the 1000 bud and chaulk the rest up to life. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. When someone is good to you , you will tell 2 or 3 people. When someone wrongs you you will tell 20 -30 people. The word is out on this vendor. Think anyone who doesnt know this guy personally will ever send him 1250 for anything? probably not.

I'd say this is a win for you in a situation that could have asily had you chasing the 1000for the next eyar or two and you may have never gotten it.

cool
    Dave

13. Maddog82

Maddog82 Farmall Cub

Well said Dave. I can't think of anything more frustrating than trying to collect a small amount of money through the court system. Cash the check and write the 250 off to bad luck and move on. Life's too short.

14. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I am glad to see that some sort of resolution has been reached, and with that, I think we are done here.

rchinson, thank you for respecting our wishes, and also, thank you for sharing your vendor experience is such a professional manner. I hope other people who have problems with vendors can report thier problems with the same professional candor that you have.

But now, we are done, and with that...............................

Thread closed.

-JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.