Another Travelette Build!

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Gary Billings, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

I would've made more progress, but I picked up this truck last week and it needed to go away. It was a Craigslist part out and I picked up the hulk for scrap value. :punk: It had a decent dr. side quarter panel, decent endcaps, Dana 27/44 with 4.88 gears, and, the real reason I bought it...the 4-cyl 4-speed, no bellhousing though. :taz:

-Gary

Attached Files:

2. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Great work to get 'er running! :beer:

Have you tried installing the low range gears from the Dana 18 into the Dana 20?
    I've *read* this works, but haven't tried it myself. Since the Dana 18 isn't worth much, it might be a way to make a Dana 20 worth more...

3. Gary Billings

Scott, it's always a good feeling to get it running! I'm probably going to put this project on the side for a few weeks while I save up some $ for new or good used wheels & tires. That'll be about $500 for used and $1500 for all new. Ouch! I also still need a fuel tank, sending unit, fuel lines, shocks, new seats, bedliner for the interior & bed, lights, paint, etc.

I've read up on the Dana 18 gears into the Dana 20 but haven't tried it yet. You'll need some early Bronco gear to make everything mesh.

-Gary

4. Gary Billings

So, the recent weather pattern has really been aggravating. Even if my garage wasn't packed full of stuff, this truck wouldn't fit in it. On Saturday, I had to get stuff done and wasn't about to spend another day on the couch doing nothing, so I put up the Ez-Up and worked on the fuel tank area while it was raining.

Sunday AM, I wake up to 8" of new snow on the ground.

UGH! :censored:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Gary Billings

After shoveling snow for a while, I cleared off enough to start working on the truck again.

The rear of the cab had some issues. The cab support crossmember was cracked and the entire back panel had broken away from the rest of the body.

So, I aligned everything, clamped it and welded it all back up.

DCP_0018.JPG

DCP_0020.JPG

DCP_0021.JPG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. Gary Billings

Late last week, I pulled the bed off the truck. That was also the first time the truck moved under it's own power with the new drivetrain in!

I pulled the bed to work on setting up the gas tank.

The tank I'm using is a 31 gallon tank from a Suburban. It fits perfectly between the frame rails and has a nice filler neck which aims right over the frame rail. I'll have to do some modifications to the bed so everything fits together right, but this should work ok.

The top retaining straps are 1/4" x 2.5" flat stock. I had to move the crossmember to the rear of the frame and also move the shock crossmember back a little ways. I'll have to make the lower retaining straps.

I had to redo the exhaust pipes so they wouldn't interfere with the tank or the crossmembers. I ended up moving everything forward but now there's good clearance and it almost looks like it was made that way :) Normally, the angled part of the tank goes towards the rear, but I put it towards the front to make room for the exhaust.

-Gary

DCP_0022.JPG

DCP_0023.JPG

DCP_0024.JPG

DCP_0025.JPG

7. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Spring always seems to be the season of false starts... ;)
    We've been dealing with winds that blow the top soil off, and make a mess everywhere.

Great progress on the truck, and that tank looks like it's going to be awesome. :rockon:
    Bet is sounds really nice with that exhaust. Did you do a cross over pipe?

CS

8. Gary Billings

The exhaust sounds good. It came off of Jon's 1/2 ton Chevy pickup after we yanked the engine for his Scout. He said I could have anything off that truck. I seem to remember him telling me about setting off car alarms with it :D That was a with a 350.

No crossover pipe. I didn't want to pay for custom exhaust. I'm into this exhaust system for about $145...$40 for the headers, $20 for the gaskets, $20 for the collectors, $50 for the pipe and $15 for the hangers :stuart:

-Gary

9. 64C1100

64C1100 Farmall Cub

If you don't mind my asking, what year Suburban did you get that gas tank from? I am looking to convert the gas tank in my '64 Travelette.

Thanks,

JP

10. Gary Billings

The tank is for a 1982 Suburban. I bought it at O'Reilly's for $100. The sending unit is a FG12C that I bought off Ebay for $56. It should be in today...hopefully it fits :)

The sending unit is a 0-95 ohm unit and won't work correctly with the original gauge. I plan on putting an auxillary gauge below the dash.

-Gary

11. Tom Mandera

Tom Mandera Dreams of Cub Cadets

I believe a 33gal Blazer tank will fit pretty much the same, too.

Same prices.

For the FI guys, consider an 87-91 Blazer tank with in-tank TBI pump but the same outside dimensions.

There's also a 40-gal Suburban tank, but I think it is too long to fit on a Travelette behind the rear axle - oddly, I think it WOULD fit a Travelall.

..but the 33gal tank will fit a Travelall and still let you move the rear axle back.

12. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Gary, do you ever sleep? I love reading your build threads, it takes us mere mortal men years to accomplish what you do in 3 days.

:beer:

13. Gary Billings

Sleep? What's that? Actually, I get about 7.5 hours of sleep every night :) :D

So, the FG12C sending unit fit perfectly in the tank.

I also built some straps to hold the tank in place.

The other night, Alex (of Alex's Scout build fame) came by and let me know what he thought of my handywork. What a jerk! ;)

DCP_0001.JPG

DCP_0003.JPG

Dcp_0002.jpg

14. Gary Billings

Last night, I cleaned up the rear axle a little bit, welded some 5/8" grade 8 bolts for the lower shock mounts and painted it all up with semi-gloss.

I also swapped out the rusty crusty original diff cover with a new one from O'Reilly's. It's just an OEM one...nothing special. It was only $20. I would've spent more than $20 worth of time cleaning up the rust on the old cover :) I used grade 8 bolts & SAE washers to hold the cover on.

The last pic shows the fore to aft placement of the shocks. I couldn't be happier on how everything fits together with the crossmember, exhaust, shocks & tank.

The brake hose I got has a bunch of plastic clippy things on it which is where I attached the vent hose to. Pretty slick!

Never mind the wild brake lines on the rear axle. I bent them out of the way to make room for the shocks. They are only temporary as I plan on doing a disc brake conversion soon.

-Gary

DCP_0005.JPG

DCP_0006.JPG

15. Mike Scherr

Mike Scherr Farmall Cub

Clean work as always Gary. I assume this is towing the camper to RMIHR?

16. Gary Billings

That's the plan! I've got other stuff I have to work on, so I'll probably end up taking at least a week of vacation and get it all done.

-Gary

17. 1929sixspeedspecial

1929sixspeedspecial Farmall Cub

Hey look! I know that guy! The 454 was purring like a kitten, all snuggled down into that T-ette frame. Great Work!!!!

18. Gary Billings

Last week when I was bringing the trash down to the end of the driveway, a couple dogs came by, one rolled its eyes back, showed all its teeth, raised its hair on its back, snarled, barked and looked like it wanted to kill me. While I was focusing on that one, the other one nipped my calf. I was pretty scared but calmly backed away and I called animal control.

I was nervous when I heard dogs barking that night when I went to work on the Travelette so I brought out a deterrent. :gun_bandana: A .45 should stop the threat. Luckily, the dogs were no where around.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  19. Gary Billings

Anyway, back to the build thread!

I built some lower shock mount tabs and welded them on to the axle after removing the original shock mounts.

I painted up most of the axle and replaced the diff cover with a good used one off Ebay. The original one was too crusty to deal with.

DCP_0002.JPG

DCP_0003.JPG

DCP_0004.JPG

20. Gary Billings

The truck came with a bunch of new glass including the rear window & brand new gasket.

With a lot of help from my wife, I was able to install the new window :punk:

I also cleaned up and painted the backside of the fenders and installed them. It's starting to look like a truck again!

-Gary

DCP_0030.JPG

DCP_0032.JPG

DCP_0031.JPG