An Expedition Scout

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by 64desertscout, Dec 5, 2015.

1. 64desertscout

64desertscout Farmall Cub

Thanks, I really need to get back into it and get it ready for winter.

2. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Cool! would be great to see what you do next. :)

3. 64desertscout

Beater had a new noise since the lift...a sorta song. Turns out the E-brake cable is rubbing on driveshaft and causing the "song". So I flipped the pull rod to the bottom of the swing bracket and made a tether out of steel rod to keep the cable away from the driveshaft. It does what its designed to and the brake works fine.

1 noise down 27 to go.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 64desertscout

Now that winter is here a few things needed fixin. First up was the leaky exhaust system. A little cut and splice along with a new flange gasket, and adding another hanger later. It's amazing how much quieter it is now, I still get a wiff now and then but I still have some holes to fix. The stock heater seems to work pretty good but I need to add the heat valve and control cable to be able to shut the water off and on from inside the cab. The windshield hinge leaks like a sieve in the rain and I haven't got to it yet.

5. Comanche Scott

With the e-brake cable rubbing on the driveshaft, you could have played it like a Harp!
    Water leaks and noise abatement is high on my priority list as well. :)
    Good wishes your way! :beer:

6. 64desertscout

Thanks, I don't think I will ever be able to hear a radio if I install one...but maybe!

7. Comanche Scott

A few years back, I was working on quieting things down. Got it down to about 68dB (with a smart phone app). Still haven't insulated the doors, or adjusted them to reduce wind noise yet. Installing the rattling diesel didn't help any either... lol
    The stretch goal is 65dB. That seems pretty comfortable in the "daily driver". I "think" that is achievable, with a whole lot more work.

So, there is hope for your rig. :beer:

8. 64desertscout

It has always "marked" its spot, but has been a bit excessive lately. It turns out that my Tcase has alot of slop in the yokes. I was hoping to do a reseal but it really should get rebuilt. So I will be pulling the trans/Tcase out of my 64 which is nice and tight and has minimal leakage and throw them in to keep him a DD. My intent is to rebuild the combo and put them back in this summer.

Oh Boy!!

9. Comanche Scott

That's kind of a fun job, in a warped, twisted sense.
    Do you have a Dana 18, or Dana 20?
    There are some fun and useful mods for both that are cool for agressive off road stuff.

10. 64desertscout

Yeah, I'd like to pick up a Terra-low kit for it and there D18's.

11. Comanche Scott

That's what I did with the Dana 300. Really like the low range for going slow. :)
    D18 has a pretty low, low range stock, so that's a nice advantage. I was reading somewhere that the D18 low gears could be used in a Dana 20.
    I took everything down to a local machine shop and they hot tanked all the pieces. Made it awesome when it came time to paint and reassemble.
    Tractor supply has a good farm implement spray paint that is pretty tough. It flows well too without running.

12. 64desertscout

I have a TS 2 exits up the highway...:cool2:

13. 64desertscout

I got home early yesterday and started prepping the 64 to pull the trans/Tcase to go in Beater. Pulled the top cover on the T90 and the inside looks to be in pretty good condition, full of oil and no chipped teeth are evident.

[​IMG]

Since I don't have a hoist at home it has to come out the bottom and I have to lift the Scout high enough to drag them out from under it, so the shift levers have to come off. I wanted to keep anything from getting inside the trans so I made an ABS plate to bolt in place of the shift tower to keep it sealed up during the job. Other than draining fluids and pulling the front driveshaft out, it's ready to pull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top Ramen likes this.
  14. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

No chance of a cherry picker and lifting out from above? Even if you have to split the TC before pulling, seems that might be better than laying on the ground to get chewed by Lord know what! I would see about putting down a sheet of plywood to allow movement of the hoist on the ground/sand below the vehicle.

15. 64desertscout

It'll be easy, the truck is on an asphalt driveway, in the pic your looking at a very dirty steel drip pan that I will set it on and slide it out. There isn't room for a hoist to get in the door where its sitting so I will use a small winch and straps to lift and lower the units on a wooden gantry through the floor. The only thing I need to get under for is to pull the cross member, and Beater is much higher and easier to work on. :batman:

16. 64desertscout

Found a rental yard that has a small hoist for $25.00 a day that comes apart into 6 pieces for easy transport, so I got busy today and prepped and pulled the trans/Tcase out of Beater and Wilma. Beaters stuff is on a roll cart now and will be torn down for rebuilding later. The swap units are on the hoist ready for install in the morning, I ran out of light and energy. I did swap the T/O bearing from the 64, Beaters was chattering and it was just plumb wore out. The clutch isn't to bad looks to have about another year left on it...I will have to start saving for a new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 64desertscout

Awwww CRAP!!

Somehow the pilot bearing came loose and is wedged behind the friction plate. No big deal really except that I dont have the alignment tool for a 4cyl, got one on the way and will have it done before the weekend I think.

18. Comanche Scott

Bummer about the pilot bearing, but at least you'll have a chance to get a good look at the clutch assembly and flywheel.
    Great progress on getting things all torn down. :beer:

19. 64desertscout

Thanks Scott.

Got the flywheel tool today, hopefully the alignment tool will be here Monday. I'll get it apart tomorrow and I found a new pilot bearing in my parts stash, it will need a new clutch soon.

20. 64desertscout

FINALLY got the trans in today, remember when I said I had the alignment tool on the way (a week ago)...I guess I never paid for it and it just stayed in my basket. Figured that out on Sunday, the tool came in today and I pulled the clutch. Good thing I had a new pilot bearing the one that was in there along with the T/O were trash. The plate doesn't look to bad, probably about 1/2 worn, so I'm not gunna worry about it for awhile. After putting the clutch back together with the tool the trans slide right in. I still have to drain and replace fluids, change a few gaskets, and put the interior back together, I will finish tomorrow since it's raining now.