Ammo Box

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by Keith F, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

I'm looking for secure & weathertight storage for the back of the scout. I saw that northern tool has old ammo cans and I remembered seeing some in the back of someone's scout...

Ammo Box

The question is... is there anywhere local to pick these up?

2. Tom McMillion

Tom McMillion Farmall Cub

Keith,

Try the closest Army Navy surplus store. I saw a bunch of boxes in stock that looked just like the one in the picture you posted, at a surplus store in Winchester.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  3. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

Thanks Tom! I'll try and track down a local supply store. :D

4. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Gun show

Most gun shows have them, too. I wish I knew you wanted them last week. There was a show at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds last weekend.:rolleyes:

5. WesV

WesV Y-Block King

How many

Lemme know how many you need and what sizes. I have several in the back of the Ford and in the back of the Scout and you are one of the priviledged few to have seen both :D I use them for everything from holding pushrods (out of my '64 :rolleyes: ) to being a nice water tight place to keep my tow strap. One of my good friends in in the Army and is home every weekend and his dad is the recruiter for national guard and they keep me stocked. Lemme know what sizes you need and i will try and get some for you.

6. Duly

Duly Farmall Cub

I get ammo boxes all the time usually just turn them down to get thrown away. How many do you want? we usually just use the 9mm smaller boxes if thats big enough for you?

duly

7. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

Sweet! Now we're talkin... :cool:

I'm looking for one big one like in the above link (20mm+?) to bolt into the back of the scout, behind the wheel well, against the bed side to use for lockable storage for misc stuff like a tow strap, hitch pins & balls, etc. Stuff that may otherwise diasppear if left out in the open. In the past two weeks, Cathleen's purse was stollen from her car (broke window) and her locked bike was stollen from a busy street, both incidents in the middle of the day. :mad: I am losing faith in the humanity around here, so I am switching into 'lockdown' mode. :eek:

If you've got other size/style boxes floating around that you want to get rid of, bring them by Scoutco this weekend and I'll take a look at em. :D

Thanks!

8. HIBINDER

HIBINDER Farmall Cub

not funny, but still funny...

Yup, I can see the headlines now...."Alexandria man looses all worldly possesions in Scout break-in!"

Those of you who have never seen the back of Keef's Scout won't get it.:rolleyes:

9. TheGoldenGreek

TheGoldenGreek Binder Driver

Ever seen the movie Falling Down? You should try that.

:)

Radford Tom

10. freeride

freeride Farmall Cub

Now he had anger issues...

Keith, try Full Metal Jacket (somethin cliche like that) down in old town. Go down King St and make your last right. Down that Street make your first Left and FMJ is right ahead of you. I might head down there today 'cause those ammo boxes are not such a bad idea. :D

11. Mike Moore

That sounds like the kinda place where you already need to have your junque locked up before you go!:D :eek:

12. freeride

freeride Farmall Cub

Yeah...

The guys down there are the real deal. They have a gun shop upstairs with a ton of cool stuff, and downstairs is all supplies. Most of the staff is current or past military and they run a tight ship. Last time I went down there, a couple of them were sharin Iraq stories.

13. TheGoldenGreek

TheGoldenGreek Binder Driver

hey Keith I just remembered! I know the guy who owns Hurley's Auto in Tyson's Corner, VA. He pretty much does car stereo's, but he has a contract with the ATF to install lock boxes in the rear of their trucks! (the kind you simply can't open w/o the key). You should stop by there if you have the time. I can't remember his phone #, try the phone book I guess ;)

TGG

14. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

Re: not funny, but still funny...

Yeah, I roll fully loaded... Gotta be ready for anything! :D It's actually kinda empty back there now, but that's 'cuz everything is on the roof! :p Course that will all change tomorrow when I pull the roof box, 'cuz it won't fit inside Scoutco. :rolleyes:

15. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

I'll have to check that out, they've probably got some good ideas. The park police officer that took the report on Cathleen's car recommended she get a lock box for the trunk.

I'm trying to do my project on the low $. I already ordered one of these for my tools last week when it was on sale: Truck Box w/drawers. I want the ammo box for the other side rather than spending big $ for this: Open Top Truck Box.

16. freeride

freeride Farmall Cub

Hey keith,

My buddy fabbed that lockbox (the second) out of diamond plating a while back. It used to be in his K5. After he sold it, they are just sittin around. I'll see if he still has them. As nice as they are, they prolly weren't made to collect dust.

17. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

Cool, thanks John. Sounds like a good place to roll up to in a wanna-be army green Scout! :p

18. freeride

freeride Farmall Cub

RE: FMJ Ammo boxes

Hey Keith,

Saved you a trip. They've only got the 30 and 50 cal boxes down there. There about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the 20 cal boxes like the one you had posted. Said that "The supply line for those is irregular. I could put in a requisition, but there is no telling when those items would be fulfilled." kinda like the navy I suppose. And yes, that's really the way he said it...

19. Mike Moore

Hmmmmm(V?)

How about checking with them next time your down there about pricing on a set of 5 Hummer wheels?:confused: ;)

Oh, and following the link in Cupcake's post...the shipping weight on that little bad boy is 22.0 pounds. :eek: I didn't know they were shipped FULL! That ain't a bad price!:rolleyes: :p Maybe I should look at a surplus .50 cal transport box...maybe it'd be full, too!:cool: ;)

20. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

Thanks for checkin John! :cool:

Mike, the weight is why I was lookin for one local. The shipping estimate from Northern is $16, thats more than they want for the box! :rolleyes: