"American Living" Scout wheel bearing replace.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by IH64Scout, Jan 10, 2011.

1. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

I helped my friend frank change the rear wheel bearing for this fellow from brooklyn with this scout from the "American Living" clothes ad photo. he lost the wheel/axleshaft on it going down the road and everyone from where he was, was quoting him up to $1800 to change it!!! :wacko::eek: Ray Cass suggested him to us to change it, we're about 2-1/2 hours from brooklyn. well we prepped a spare shaft with new seal and bearing for his arrival. the scout arrived on a rollback and in 10 minutes we had it mobile again! he was shocked it took so quick and everyone else wanted so much. we just charged him for parts as we were content to potentially have another scoutin' buddy! :beer: we had a bit of lunch and off he went. just figure you all would enjoy the picture and story! :D

-Jon

Attached Files:

2. sullyscout77

sullyscout77 Binder Driver

Kudos to you and Frank! Way to show them the true heart of the Binder community. Not everything is about MONEY! :nono:
    Good trucks, Good folks, Good times! :punk:

3. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

advise him of my T.A.B.O.R. plate, then he cant loose an axle next time the bearing fails.

4. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

5. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

that retainer wont hold in an axle with a bad bearing or broken axle.....
    mine will
    those are copies of original retainer plate.

6. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Gotta love the IH love!!!

7. IH64Scout

I need to order a pair I keep forgetting. We we lookin just to get him mobile again, no time for upgrades. Ill let him know though when I see him again.

-Jon

8. sullyscout77

sullyscout77 Binder Driver

DETAILS??:cornfused:

9. IH64Scout

you can prob find it if you search tabor. they look like a quality retainer plate, after losing 2 wheels i need a pair. the terra is full floater so i'm good there, but even with new bearings/seals my rear seeps oil!!! :hammer:

-Jon

10. bluescout

bluescout High Wheeler

WTH are they doing!!!! GET OFF THE HOOD!!!!! It's not a damn corvette, for crying out loud!!!!!

11. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

The IH Only North plate is about twice a thick as the original. Worked on my Scout II quite well.

12. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

http://www.betterscoutparts.com/

I examined these at the Scouts West event last spring. Well made - I would have purchased them, but, I already have a set of IHOnlyNorth plates that i still need to install.

13. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

you can see/read about it -look in the MACHINE SHOP section . here.
    BETTERSCOUTPARTS.com
    to be honest and blunt- the original design retainer plate and the copies,
    wont hold in a failed bearing, no amount of clicking your heels together and saying -'theres no place like home' will change that!
    a lot of reaons why- simple physics for one!
    the ID of the retainer plate is the same diameter as the bearing sheet metal cage. check it out -see for yourself . .
    ok lets think about this for just one second- how many axles has the original retainer plate held in? NONE! this thread's top post perfect example . .
    WHY? because the bearings thin sheet metal roller cage gets ground up and bent out of shape real quick during bearing failure!
    Any one whos ever pulled apart a failed bearing has seen this.
    now- if the bearing cage gets all bent- folded -and mutilated WHATS HOLDING THE INIDIVIDUAL ROLLERS in place? NOTHING!!
    The axle comes right out! right then! right there!
    It bends up, tears and deforms the 1/8th thick [or 1/4"] retainer plate ,too on the way out . . its thin sheet metal-->>>>>>>>>> pay attention!!
    after all dont you have a 100 pound shiny chrome spoke RACER wheel, and a 40 inch gumbothrasher masher meat tire attached to that lilttle axle . . lotta wieght there . . and that axle-------its coming out!!
    Its fun watching them axles and tires pass you up on the freeway . . how'd it do that??
    the axle retainer can be a mile in thickness- so what?
    The axle- being a much smaller diameter than the LARGE HOLE in the retainer plate wont be kept in by a 'NEW' 'IMPROVED' 'THICKER' 'RETAINER PLATE'.
    how can it? ever seen a 2 inch ID hole stop a 1 inch shaft from slipping thru it? go try it and let us know will ya?
    now then lets look at other important factors . .
    whats the axle shaft made out of? steel isnt it? at least in my scouts they are..
    ever seen an axle shaft that get chewed up and spit out?
    notice all the damage to the IRREPLACEABLE AXLES bearing and seal surfaces?
    why?/ isnt the original retainer plates made Of STEEL? what happens when you rub steel on steel? IT MELTS! IT WELDS ITSELF.
    It smears and transfers steel to the axle shaft, grinds, gouges, spindles and mutilates that axle shaft.. cant buy new ones . . . .
    got spares handy?
    my T.A.B.O.R. plate addresses and solves every issue involved in a failed axle/ or bearing trying to escape the axle housing . .
    the originals plates dont do anything but hold in a good bearing/axle- so what? its needed to hold in a bad disintergrating failed bearing, wouldnt that be nice??
    seeing as how those axles/bearings tend to fail most often in a bad place.
    MY-- T.A.B.O.R. PLATE just cruise on home, wont even have to turn the stereo volumne up any louder than it allready was to hide the growl of that failed bearing . . you didnt take care of . .
    now lets look at another issue while we are on the subject,, why does that bearing fail?
    well 3 reasons-
    - DIDNT TAKE CARE OF IT -check it--- grease it once in a while
    All proper maintanence...........
    plus wrong lubes. mixed lubes.
    - It had too much endplay! proper maintanence again!
    - Wrong type/brand of bearing.. them cheap ones other than Timken dont last..
    soooooooo if the bearings are checked once in a hundred years like youre supposed to do...... One could see and be able to correct the failing part long before it leaves you stranded by the side of the road.

and............. perhaps shim the bearing/axle to eliminate bearing endplay- after all its a tapered roller bearing- designed to operate at 0 end play, not the 1/4 inch seen in most axles assys.. .
    dont think so? go lift a rear wheel and push pull it in and out........
    be smart grab a few TABOR plates, then when your excessive end play- wrong bearing- fails next time, and hops out of the axle assy.
    you can fix it by using one of my handy dandy T.A.B.O.R. PLATES. then you aint gotta worry no more . .
    Cause even if your bearing fails again- cause you didnt maintain it, lube it properly or zero out axle/bearing endplay,
    you wont lose your axle when the bearing fails!
    and you dont want that to happen cause you know it will,.........
    late at night..........., miles from nowhere, .............gleaming eyes of the chupacabras blinking in the bushes ............getting closer and closer,...........twigs snapping . ...........
    the wife is wailing about why didnt you fix that ahead of time . .........
    all the children crying and hollering . ........
    and your jack dont work , , .........
    you aint got a spare axle handy . . .
    and then ray-o-vac batteries quit on you . .
    cell phone dont work.........
    AAA card IS EXPIRED . . .
    plus if the bearing fails and my T.A.B.O.R. PLATE holds the axle in,
    you call or write me, send me the old T.A.B.O.R. plate with a story about how the plate saved the day, I'll send you a new T.A.B.O.R. PLATE free, no charge.
    I get the blurb for the website, you get a free plate, a win win situ.

14. Super Scout

Super Scout Farmall Cub

You should be a salesman, the last part cracked me up. I lost a bearing in West Virginia at about 9 oclock at night luckily or unluckily depending on how you look at it I didnt notice it til we got back to camp... I still remember the look my girlfriend gave me when I made the comment that I hadn't had time to check the rear bearings and I assumed they were still good lol. The tabor plate is a great idea.

15. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

LOL! Thats what I first thought. :D

And then I thought that if they were cute girls in bikinis....they could do whatever the heck they wanted. :yes:

16. IH64Scout

haha, yes that's true. it's not some yuppie sports car!

-Jon