AMC Duraspark questions

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by johnnyrotten, Sep 26, 2017.

1. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Farmall Cub

I modified the distributor by relocating the reluctor, drilling and tapping the advance plate so it does not move. By the pic below is this how it should look at TDC? I did notice the reluctor does have some movement. This movement is captured in the pics below. Is this normal? The reluctor has a set screw and it isn't getting any tighter. It is the whole shaft that actually feels like it has play in it. SDC16321.JPG SDC16330.JPG SDC16331.JPG

2. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm assuming this is for EFI, if so, how did you lock out the mechanical adv under the plate?
    There is either movement of the reluctor on the shaft or the adv shaft on the main shaft.
    That's the only 2 things there are.
    When done, I recommend a drop or 2 of lock tite down the roll pin slots on the reluctor.
    Review these 2 for options.
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/amc-distributor-set-up.114498/
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/amc-258-ds-distr-conversion.114800/#post-814271

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  3. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Farmall Cub

Yes, this for a TBI conversion I have been cobbling together for my CJ5 for what now seems like forever. I drilled through both plates and tapped the bottom hole for a small screw much like you did. Far as I can tell the whole shaft moves. I get this movement by turning the rotor. I have 2-3 of these distributors laying I will see if 1 of the others is "tighter". I am still a long ways off, just did a frame swap on the CJ and it is still in a few pieces. Thank you for all you do here.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not too unusual for a shaft to have a little play in it, but not much. I don't know if you're aware of it or not, maybe you are, but the Duraspark was factory issue in AMC V-8's for several years after they quit using the 'gold box' type system. If you check on Rock Auto, you can get a remanned Duraspark type distributor complete (less core charge, you have to give them a distributor) for around $50-70. I wouldn't do the work for that.

5. Bill USN-1

Dennis, It appears he started with the factory duraspark distr. But as pointed out in the links, it still needs to be properly phased.
    It looks like he simply locked out the mechanical adv and phased the reluctor.

6. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Farmall Cub

"But as pointed out in the links, it still needs to be properly phased.
    It looks like he simply locked out the mechanical adv and phased the reluctor."

Isn't this all I needed to do? I "screwed" the advance plate down. Drilled and tapped the reluctor. Set the rotor just past the pole on the cap. Am I missing something? I have 3 of these laying around the garage......on all 3 I can move the rotor while holding the gear. all 3 have about the same amount of movement.

7. Bill USN-1

If it's just the play of the rotor in the upper shaft slot then your fine.

8. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Farmall Cub

It is not the rotor turning in its slot. It is the whole shaft. I can hold the distributor gear and move the reluctor by turning the rotor, but just the small amount shown in the pictures. I can do this on all 3 of these distributors I have laying around my garage. I am guessing its normal play? If not what could it be?

9. Bill USN-1

If it moves then you did not get the mech adv locked out.
    You are still twisting against the springs.
    Remove the reluctor and base plate and show how you locked the upper shaft to the main shaft.
    I always remove the adv weights so they don't pull against the shaft as it rotates.

10. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Farmall Cub

Well I took it apart to get some pics for you. The screw on the left by the tang is what is holding the two together. I drilled and tapped the plates just as you did. I put it all back together, the only thing I did different was take out the advance weights as suggested. How do you stop the plate the pick up is hooked to from turning? I see the vacuum advance is not to be hooked back up. Could this hold the plate steady if you didn't hook up any vacuum? There is no play now....it is solid. I took some time to reinstall the distributor. I still have the same amount of play only now it seems to be between the distributor and cam gear. Everything else is solid. Is this normal?
    SDC16332.JPG SDC16337.JPG SDC16337.JPG SDC16334.JPG

11. Bill USN-1

Looks fine.
    Now put the rotor on and twist it and see what moves.
    The only connections that can move would be the gear on the shaft, the upper shaft on the inner shaft or the rotor on the upper shaft.
    With the base plate removed, you can see all 3 as you twist.

12. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Farmall Cub

It is still moving a little bit. I am going to say its the gears.

13. Bill USN-1

If you can feel it move then you can see where it's moving.
    Either the gap in the slot just above your screw in the pic, is changing or the gear is rotating on the shaft at the bottom.
    There is a roll(tension) pin that goes thru the gear and the shaft to hold it in place. So if it's moving then the holes would be bigger then the pin.

14. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Farmall Cub

Sorry it took so long to get back with this but this is a very slow moving project for me. The TBI is one of many upgrades going on to my CJ5 at the moment. I am usually working on what I can. I figured out what was going on. the screw I used to hold the 2 plates together was not as tight as it could have been. I took it all apart again and re tightened the screw and Loctited it in place, and now there is no movement. Is there any way to "hold" the reluctor plate in place without using the vacuum advance arm? I am wanting to use the 2 bolts holding the canister on the distributor to hold a small box I am going to put my module in to keep it out of the weather. I discovered these do not like to get wet when I had one on the CJ before.

15. Bill USN-1

I simply drill and tap the advance plate and the base plate and run a screw through both. If both are threaded then the screw won't pull the advance plate down as it tightens. DSC06242.JPG DSC06245.JPG DSC06246.JPG DSC06249.JPG AMC Duraspark04.jpg