AMC 232 extremely stuck flywheel

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Evan McGinnis, May 22, 2020 at 4:28 PM.

1. Evan McGinnis

Evan McGinnis Farmall Cub

2. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

Can you post a photo of the situation ?

and no, I'm not asking for a photo of that idiot from the Jersey Shore program.

3. Evan McGinnis

Evan McGinnis Farmall Cub

Sure, this is the flywheel I am trying to remove. All the pullers I can find in my searches are for motorcycles or outboard motors. Must be the search terms I am using.
    -Evan-

Attached Files:

4. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

Thanks for the photo.
    I'm going to suggest you continue to apply pressure with the puller in your original post.....and add some heat to the center of the flywheel to expand it and it should pop off.
    If you don't have a torch, a Bernzomatic torch or a Mapp Gas torch should provide enough heat.

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

I would suggest replacing the attaching bolts, or perhaps use some that are a bit longer, leaving them at least a few turns from the heads touching, so the flywheel will be kept from falling over once loosened.
    I assume you weren't using the inner holes (into the crankshaft) for attaching the two puller screws, but wonder if the crossbar of that puller is wide enough to reach the outside holes of the flywheel? If not and you don't have anything like heavy square steel tubing to make a puller extension of, two 2 x 4's nailed together, with channels drilled for the outer (longer) puller bolts and the larger centered puller bolt might do. That is, use the wood as an overlaid extension.
    Once you have pressure on the center bolt of the puller, use a lead block to pound the flywheel edge inward, moving around to different places. No objection to using heat.

6. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Put a heel bar between the flywheel and the block and pry it off.